PDA

View Full Version : Help a college kid with questions please

LPS1987
11-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Hey guys,

I am in college and for one of my business classes I am required to do some research on an industry and find out about it as well as the daily frustrations and lingo in the industry, then design a marketing plan for it.

I was assigned the landscaping industry and I was wondering if you guys could please answer me a few questions about your business, I would greatly appreciate it.

1-What are your top 5 frustrations with your business and day to day business life?

2-What is the way you guys get new customers (direct mail, internet, newspapers, etc.?)

3-What sort of lingo do you use? Would you all call yourselves landscapers, or would you call yourself green industry guys, I am confused since I just learned that landscape design and build is different than lawncare as most laymen simply use the term "gardner" or "landscaper".

I was also wondering if LCO (lawncare operator) is a term you use, and if you do, is there a subsequent acronym for a company that does design/build?

4-What sort of services does a landscaper or lawn care operator provide besides "mow and blow"?

5-What sort of licenses do you guys need to operate your business?

I know this can be alot to ask but please take a few minutes to respond as I really need this for school. I greatly appreciate it and thanks for reading and responding!

Best,

Larry

LPS1987
11-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Bump, please help me guys

StihlMechanic
11-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Personally, I like to be called yard boy.

Not a lot of respect in this industry. Honestly I prefer Landscape Contractor.

j-ville native
11-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm a college student as well and this seems like the type of project where you can just bullsnot everything, but I'll go ahead and give you some answers...

1. getting rained out, customers that ask me cut it shorter (I don't want to butcher it), customers expecting me to show up on a moment's notice (can you come cut my grass right now?), cheap customers, taking the time to meet with the customer and give an estimate and then I never hear from them again.

2. word of mouth/referals, people see my lawn trailer and come up to me, my website, flyers

3. I'm an LCO

4. mow, edge, trim, blow, shrub/tree trimming, fertilizer, mulching, weed pulling, pressure washing (only in the winter offseason)

5. My county actually doesn't even offer a licsense. I went to the townhall and that's what they told me. If I used pesticides or even round-up weed killer I would need a licsense, but I don't do pesticides.

Let me know if u have other questions

FDJ
11-06-2011, 01:58 AM
4-What sort of services does a landscaper or lawn care operator provide besides "mow and blow"?

1-Other people/businesses that do the work for "free" and drag the industry down, Ignorant customers, paper work, rain, cheap people.

2-Door-to-door flier delivery, pack mailer, internet.

3-I like to call myself landscaper, since that is how everyone has ever called my profession around here.

4-I think that lawn care would only include lawn mowing and fertilizing and that sort of thing.
Landscaping could encamp all of above plus any other yard related service.
mulching, weeding, designing, installation, removal, snow shoveling, leaf removal, gutter cleaning.

5-It will depend on the county/municipality/state. Here you'll only need a license if you are applying chemicals such as fertilizers. Other than that you only need a "business license" and a "Home Occupation Permit" if you are running it from home.

elitelawnteam1
11-06-2011, 10:21 AM
1- Late payers, dogs and dog ****, mowing in the rain, dealing with equipment breakdowns at the worst possible time, dealing with nitpicky customers

2- Google, doorhangers, flyers, word of mouth, door to door soliciting

3- I am part of the Green Industry, I go back and forth between LCO and Lawn Maintenance Contractor

4- At this moment in time, I am only involved with maintenance (mowing, leaf removal, snow plowing, bush trimming, ect) but other LCOs can do patios, retaining walls, install full landscapes, and water features. Some also do fertilizing

5- That depends on what services you're providing, and where you live in the country. I don't need a business license where I live, but If I was to do fertilizing, I would need a commercial applicator's license, for brickwork UNILOK for example, you need to be certified to install. That's all I know.

Generally, If you're in the maintenance portion like I am, the most crucial aspect I think would be having general liability insurance. You don't need a license to drive a mower, but you want to be protected in case you screw up.

Hope this helps,

good luck on your project

wiselandscaping
11-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Hey guys,

I am in college and for one of my business classes I am required to do some research on an industry and find out about it as well as the daily frustrations and lingo in the industry, then design a marketing plan for it.

I was assigned the landscaping industry and I was wondering if you guys could please answer me a few questions about your business, I would greatly appreciate it.

1-What are your top 5 frustrations with your business and day to day business life?

2-What is the way you guys get new customers (direct mail, internet, newspapers, etc.?)

3-What sort of lingo do you use? Would you all call yourselves landscapers, or would you call yourself green industry guys, I am confused since I just learned that landscape design and build is different than lawncare as most laymen simply use the term "gardner" or "landscaper".

I was also wondering if LCO (lawncare operator) is a term you use, and if you do, is there a subsequent acronym for a company that does design/build?

I know this can be alot to ask but please take a few minutes to respond as I really need this for school. I greatly appreciate it and thanks for reading and responding!

Best,

Larry

Larry,

Thought I'd fill this out and give you some answers that hopefully help you with your project. Hope I'm not too late.

1)
1- Employee issues (finding/retaining good employees, employee absence, etc).
2- Equipment breakdowns (can alway be minimized but never eliminated).
3- Late payments.
4- Customers who don't let the professionals do what is best for their landscape.
5- Fighting the weather!

2) We use our website and active sales. We are doing our first direct mailing this spring, but are only selling lawn fertilization/weed control with this.

3) Our company name is "Wise Landscaping" and I think that term fits us best. We aren't a single-man operation, and we provide landscape services from install/build to maintenance. We are Green Industry Professionals, which is important because it is our job to do everything we can to bring increased professionalism to the industry.

4) Services include landscape installation, maintenance, fertilization, weed & turf insect control, and snow and ice management. This is very broad, but instead of focusing on one very small aspect of "landscaping", we provide commercial customers with all of the services they will need under one roof. This allows us to provide the best value to the commercial customer and keeps them from dealing with multiple contractors. If we as a company do not have the skilled labor to perform certain tasks (large hardscape installations for example), we sub out the work to other, more specialized contractors. I guess you could say a service we provide is efficiency and quality, worry-free work to our customers too.

5) There are no licenses needed to operate a landscape company other than a commercial applicator license which is regulated by the Ohio EPA, and that is only needed by companies that perform lawn and ornamental chemical applications.

I hope this helps.

LPS1987
11-15-2011, 02:06 AM
Thank you so much guys!

I really appreciate all the help and explanations, this is going to save me so much time and hassle since I was going to have to cold call Landscaping companies to get this information by interviewing them.

Again, thank you very much everyone!

Best,

Larry

Southern Tommy
11-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Hey guys,

Best,

Larry

I think the other guys have pretty much summed up exactly what you need.

If you're still having troubles you could always try www.google.com *trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag*

andyslawncare
11-16-2011, 09:37 PM
hope this helps
Hey guys,

(1) - low ballers (cheap competition)
(2) - Immigrants and everyone with a mower thinking they can be a 'landscaper' (3) - Clients want things done, but don't want to spend the money (4) - Babysitting Employees (5) Waiting on money to be paid -

Our website, truck lettering, and referrals mostly. We use Money Mailer sometimes with decent results, fliers are rolled and delivered to about 50,000 driveways each year, cold calling, signs are posted after chemical or fertilizer treatment, big yard signs are used for a few weeks after we do a big landscape job, Craigslist, local free internet classifieds, we do some post cards, have tried Service Magic with poor results due to price shoppers...

We are a design/build/Install firm, though I consider myself a landscaper. 'Full Service' is how I state it...we do just about everything. A designer designs the landscape, a 'buld' firm does stone work usually, and install is usually referring to plant material. Lawn care is usually used as a term to describe fertilization and weed control, where lawn maintenance is for mowing lawns and conducting normal maintenance.

Landscaper pretty much sums it up; a landscaper is not just an LCO--LCO is only maintenance.

design, retaining walls, pruning, patios, low voltage lighting, pressure washing, plant install, mulch, storm and seasonal clean up, annual flowers, irrigation....

DOT regrestration for veichiles with a Gross combined weight over 10,001 lbs, pest control license, business license; sometimes subcontractors are needed for electrical and design specifications for tall walls.

Best,

Larry

andyslawncare
11-16-2011, 09:44 PM
./...............................................1- Late payers, dogs and dog ****, mowing in the rain, dealing with equipment breakdowns at the worst possible time, dealing with nitpicky customers

2- Google, doorhangers, flyers, word of mouth, door to door soliciting

3- I am part of the Green Industry, I go back and forth between LCO and Lawn Maintenance Contractor

4- At this moment in time, I am only involved with maintenance (mowing, leaf removal, snow plowing, bush trimming, ect) but other LCOs can do patios, retaining walls, install full landscapes, and water features. Some also do fertilizing

5- That depends on what services you're providing, and where you live in the country. I don't need a business license where I live, but If I was to do fertilizing, I would need a commercial applicator's license, for brickwork UNILOK for example, you need to be certified to install. That's all I know.
I'm not sure of UNILOK, but for stone work or brickwork, you don't need to have license, and UNILOK probably offers a certification, which is more or less education to install their product...its a marketing technique just like how Rain Bird offers Rain Bird Academy, but you don't have to be licensed in most states to install irrigation, and taking Rain Bird Academy does not give you the license that you need, only a certification by Rainbird. ICPI = Interlocking Concrete Pave Stone Institue offers a certification also...not a license, just a certification...Anyone can install pavestone for someone else. The irrigation exam in some states is the IA exam (Irrigation Association).

Generally, If you're in the maintenance portion like I am, the most crucial aspect I think would be having general liability insurance. You don't need a license to drive a mower, but you want to be protected in case you screw up.

Hope this helps,

good luck on your project

Southern Tommy
11-18-2011, 03:21 PM
./...............................................

Lol what is this?

bflawns
11-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Nit picky customers are the best customers you will ever have. They teach you how to get better and better at your job. No one likes them,but without them we might keep on making the same mistakes and overlooking the details that prevent us from becoming the professionals we all strive to be. Suck it up. Kiss butt and learn from them, at least until they quit paying their bill on time or at all. . . . .:rolleyes: