PDA

View Full Version : How Your Business?

ponddude
11-04-2011, 06:03 PM
As with my username I am a pond contractor.

With the pond industry declining.. I have been surprised to see some reports that say outdoor landscape lighting is actually growing very fast.

Curious with you guys that are running lighting companies what you think of the market.. and where it is headed?

Is there a good opportunity to start a profitable business in this economy in lighting?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Outdoor lighting is not unlike any other specialty craft/trade in that if you have the skill and knowledge to design and build above par systems you can make a decent business out of it. But like any niche trade, it will take some serious commitment and time to establish yourself. There is a lot of competition out there and it seems to be growing by the week as all sorts of green industry generalists start offering landscape lighting in their service mix.

If your thought is that you are just going to start plunking down some lights and make big money doing it, you are sadly mistaken. Profitability is not a given, especially in an upstart business operating in these challenging times. I would suggest a more strategic approach. Plan for adding lighting into your business mix in the near future and spend the next year immersing yourself in the industry. Do some research, reading and take as many seminars and education progams as you can find the time for. This will help you to figure out if a lighting business is truly for you.

NightScenes
11-15-2011, 01:08 PM
I agree with James completely. We're having a great year but we are established and operate off of a LOT of referrals and our reputation.

Classic Lighting
11-15-2011, 05:19 PM
As with my username I am a pond contractor.

With the pond industry declining.. I have been surprised to see some reports that say outdoor landscape lighting is actually growing very fast.

Curious with you guys that are running lighting companies what you think of the market.. and where it is headed?

Is there a good opportunity to start a profitable business in this economy in lighting?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

IMO, it's not good time to start a lighting business. Name recognition and branding are very important. It's hard to advertise in this economy and expect a good ROI. As other have said, past clientele are keeping me in business this year with service or add ons. New installs and new clients are low this year.

GreenI.A.
11-15-2011, 11:06 PM
We're a newer medium sized company and I am shocked at the amount of lighting we got this year. I lined up with some high end custome home builders for irrigation and the lighting took off with it aswell. My marketting for lighting has gotten me limitted work. A few repairs, one customer wanted me to replace their Malibu transformer and I was able to get them to replace it with a 5,500 lighting install. Other than the contractors, my other leads have come from the truck lettering, I am shocked how many voice mails I have received with "I saw one of your trucks and want to get an estimate" The way things grew the last 2 years I could very well have a full time lighting truck/crew in 2 more seasons

starry night
11-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Way to go, GIA! Be positive and work smart. I will be going full tilt in lighting next season as I move to a new market area. I've always had some of my best years in a down economy. This year was one of those. So I would say to everyone, stay positive.