PDA

View Full Version : Storage ?? What do most of you all do for storage??

lawns by design
11-04-2011, 09:28 PM
I must start of by saying i love this site it is cool as can be to have somewhere to go and ask questions to people who are in the same field as you.
But here is my questions what do you all do about storage and where do you all have your payments sent to ? HOME? OR PO BOX? (Question is for smaller companies)
I have just about ran out of room in my garage and not alot of room for trailer on street? So what are some good ideas or places for storage ? The storage units i have found are to small the ceilings are high enough for trailer gate. Buildings i have been looking at are like 500 and up a month

elitelawnteam1
11-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Do you own a home? I've been able to get away with just tarping my trailer up and leaving it in my backyard. Depending on where you live, there may be an ordinance/law stating you can't park trailers on the street, especially when it snows. I'm also going to be building a shed next summer, so that will nearly eliminate all the equipment I have currently in my garage.

As for PO boxes, that decision is up to you. I've never rented one, and I've had no problems with a home address. Because most of my customers live in my town/neighborhood, they sometimes choose to drop payments off at my house, I've got no problem with it, just means I get the check 1 day earlier.

Some guys on here like the PO boxes because they don't want bad/former customers stalking them/knowing where they live. And probably as a preventative measure for equipment theft.

cuttin-to-the-Max
11-04-2011, 11:32 PM
yupp. Well to start off i dont keep any of my "work" equip. at my house... All of my invoices get sent to my parents house. Thats where i started off when i was 19 and thats the address my customers have had! Also i like abut 20 miles out/ away from my parents' house.Which happens to be my "territory" or where i work out of. MOSTLY.
If my customers knew i lived 20 miles away i dont think i would have as much business as i do ESPECIALLY for snow. Funny thing is only a select few know where i really live.

As for storage, my wife woud kick me out if i had the garage smelling like gas and grass! Bad enough washing my cloths! The only equipment she lets me keep in "her" garage are my plows. One good thing about having a 3 car garage! 1 for her and 2 for me of course!

All the other stuff is kept at 2 storage facilities. I plow a storage facility(20 mins from home) so i work off most of my rent at that one. Then the other storage/ SHOP i have 3 acres to do what ever i want on.(3 mins from home) So i have 3 20' Sea containers that i put my mowers and other stuff in.

It sounds unorganized but it really isnt.
Never had a customer come hunt me down or anything...

PlantscapeSolutions
11-05-2011, 06:27 PM
I knew I was going to get into landscaping when I purchased my first house in 99'. I only looked in areas outside city limits and with no HOA. I wanted a side entry garage so I would have backyard access. Plus garage's that face the street dominate the architecture of a house in a negative way.

I also required my lot size to be at least .75 acres for future growth. I am lucky because I have a rural road at the rear of my property as well. This allowed me to construct a 30x45 shop last year and parking for employee's as well. It costs way to much to have a 1350 sq ft shop in town and parking for a truck, four trailers, and other stuff.

It is pretty hard to find modern neighborhoods like mine that allow you to run a biz. Usually you and up having to live in old neighborhoods or worse an area with trailer homes all over the place. My mail just comes to my house.

ed2hess
11-05-2011, 06:31 PM
We just bought a second ship container....first one was $3000 and second
one was $1700. Just got to have some place to put it but they can be locked up pretty good.

Cheffy
11-05-2011, 06:37 PM
I have a P.O. box that I use for my mowing and rental property business . My wife wanted this way incase of a stalker tenant . I like it now just a little more secure .

I grew up on a farm 5 miles from my house but still in my territory. This where I store stuff year around. My brother is on the farm now we have always helped each other out. He is on the road alot so I take care of the lawn and shrubs soit works for me.

To winterize engines I always fill the tanks use stabill and they start in spring.

PlantscapeSolutions
11-05-2011, 06:54 PM
We just bought a second ship container....first one was $3000 and second
one was $1700. Just got to have some place to put it but they can be locked up pretty good.

I've seen the shop pic you had posted. Are you fortunate enough to own your shop or is it leased?

BPS##
11-05-2011, 07:01 PM
I live on 5.5 acres about 18 miles from town.
Eventually I want a 1200 sq ft shop for the lawn biz.

I had one site manager question me about being able to plow living that far from town.
I told her that I'd be closely monitoring any forecasted storms and would come into town before the weather got bad enough I couldn't make it in.
That seemed to satisfy her quite well.

StihlMechanic
11-05-2011, 07:20 PM
I can pretty much get away with murder in my hood. I have a tiny house on a 1/4 acre so I have room in the backyard to park equipment if needed. Fenced in and out of site. I keep all the mowing equipment in my 220 sq ft one car garage. I really want to build a shop but not at my current location.

Ducke
11-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Run my outfit out of my own house and store my gear in a couple of sheds out back
1) 8x10 baby barn type shed.
2) 10x14 Tent style shed.
I park my truck and trailer in my drive way.
I am looking at getting a rental shop maybe next year as I am growing a getting more equipment. My Brother in law have a unit in a local Industrial Park and is willing to rent 1/2 of it at cost.
I guess I am one of the lucky ones that have no restriction on my home property. :)

Darryl G
11-05-2011, 08:55 PM
I use a PO box. I like having a nice secure place for my checks to go to and no chance of my business stuff getting mixed in the personal mail. I have a 12 x 20 outbuilding for equipment storage and a 2 car garage for a shop and additional storage. Trailers and the tractor are out back behind the shed.

nortonlawncare
11-05-2011, 10:06 PM
I keep all of my stuff at my house i have a two bay garage that holds everything and then some

bobcat48
11-05-2011, 10:08 PM
My garage,we have a four car.

PlantscapeSolutions
11-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Run my outfit out of my own house and store my gear in a couple of sheds out back
1) 8x10 baby barn type shed.
2) 10x14 Tent style shed.
I park my truck and trailer in my drive way.
I am looking at getting a rental shop maybe next year as I am growing a getting more equipment. My Brother in law have a unit in a local Industrial Park and is willing to rent 1/2 of it at cost.
I guess I am one of the lucky ones that have no restriction on my home property. :)

I guess Nova Scotia is more English speaking then places like Quebec where French is the norm. I've been to Prince Edward Island a few times but it was back in the late 70's. Next door in Maine the older Frenchmen often still spoke no English when I was a kid. Every summer Old Orchard Beach, ME is over run with pasty French folks on vacation. You've got to love the endless French jokes and being French myself nobody can take offense.

OMG check this crazy Canuck blog http://atheistgranny.blogspot.com/2011/07/nova-scotia.html

RSK Property Maintenance
11-05-2011, 10:13 PM
I keep everything in half a bay at my house, but still living my parent, im outgrowing it pretty quick, so it looks like I might need a shop next year, especially after I buy a back up plow truck and brush chipper
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c169/ryan818/594723131_photobucket_6781_.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
11-05-2011, 10:32 PM
I can pretty much get away with murder in my hood. I have a tiny house on a 1/4 acre so I have room in the backyard to park equipment if needed. Fenced in and out of site. I keep all the mowing equipment in my 220 sq ft one car garage. I really want to build a shop but not at my current location.

In Texas you can do a weld up building like mine if your outside of city limits but inside city limits it has to be an engineered kit building that costs more. Beware of this when pondering land to buy. Here in the central Texas area Anton Welding does great work and has great building prices. My building went up in 2 1/2 days.

IES
11-05-2011, 11:21 PM
I have to wedge my stuff in my barn cause your friends think you have a storage facility when you have a decent size building. I have a '65 Chevy pu, 1980 Chevy pu, 1959 Porsche 356b convertible along with a complete metal shop worth of tools ,Plasma cutter, welder which I use :) all stored for friends. My neighbors think I'm loaded. I will miss driving that Porsche someday :)
Posted via Mobile Device

newz7151
11-06-2011, 01:16 AM
In Texas you can do a weld up building like mine if your outside of city limits but inside city limits it has to be an engineered kit building that costs more. Beware of this when pondering land to buy. Here in the central Texas area Anton Welding does great work and has great building prices. My building went up in 2 1/2 days.

Hey.. were you on the news with the neighbors calling the authorities due to welding during the extreme burn ban and the slag falling on the ground?

StihlMechanic
11-06-2011, 01:20 AM

Yeah I have a friend that lives out in unincorporated county, no restrictions on 10 acres. He built a 40X50 red iron building with 20 ft ceiling out there. Rented a skytrak and had that thing up in a weekend. Paid 10k for the slab and 7k for the building kit, 1k for the skytrak rental. Pretty cool setup he has. He is an auto tech for american airlines and repairs car on the side so he has a lift. Awesome setup.

After seeing his shop finished I now know a 40x50 is the way to go. One day, when the housing market gets better I'm selling this house and doing the same thing. Hate HOA's and deed restrictions.

elitelawnteam1
11-06-2011, 09:06 AM
I forgot to mention earlier that it helps to have nice neighbors. My neighbors all hate me (I have a yard waste pile on the side of my house) I let it accumulate, then send it off to a compost facility.

In the meantime, about twice a month, I get to deal with the Village Property Inspector, she's a real ass, and restricts me from doing anything, I can't even build a shed bigger than 10X12!

PlantscapeSolutions
11-06-2011, 09:32 AM
I saw that story as well. I think it was out in the Marble Falls area. The guys had cleared the area around the site to the bare weeds and watered everything but the neighbor still freaked out. Even the Fire Marshall said the site was properly prep'd for welding.

I built my shop in February 2010 at the tail end of monsoon season we had. We had to keep delaying the site prep because it was a mud pit. I'd kill for another rain event like that right now. I'm guessing your in the Austin area as well?

nathanj21
11-06-2011, 11:41 AM
I stick to a place on the side next to my garage. Just use a canopy to cover.

ed2hess
11-06-2011, 11:42 AM
I've seen the shop pic you had posted. Are you fortunate enough to own your shop or is it leased?

They own the office and associated area that has a storage shed and room to
get in/out easily for about 6 trucks and trailers. They are adding a small storage container at that location to lock up the better stuff. They have a second property that is fenced and has a large storage container. They had intended to use that as their office etc. but the development cost and process with the city is almost impossible. His plans is to put a mobile home and rent it out. Got to get in septic system and drill for water first..

GreenI.A.
11-07-2011, 07:12 PM
I use a po box, the main reason is I can have many of them. I have a large service area and with traffic my main service area is about an hour from where I live and store equipment. Other than the PO box in my home town, I have PO boxes in three other towns in my service area. When I do marketting I use the closest PO box to that particular town.

As far as storage I have plenty of land where I live and everything other than the trucks and trailers can be put inside

lawns by design
11-07-2011, 08:10 PM
PlantscapeSolutions ... Thanks for uploading the pictures they are really cool the place looks great. Do you park your trucks and trailers in there or just the equipment?

Thanks for all the info and updates from everyone ..

PlantscapeSolutions
11-07-2011, 10:51 PM
PlantscapeSolutions ... Thanks for uploading the pictures they are really cool the place looks great. Do you park your trucks and trailers in there or just the equipment?

Thanks for all the info and updates from everyone ..

I had the place built big enough that my 06' Ram 2500 QC LB & 16' Pace enclosed trailer would fit. I still need to bring in about 60 yards of limestone gravel for the surrounding parking area. My gravel budget turned into a down payment on $6000 worth of leather furniture.

Now with our historic drought I'm leery about spending a few grand more to bring in the gravel. For now I'm using another parking area closer to my house for my truck and four trailers.

Glenn Lawn Care
11-08-2011, 12:01 AM
I have a 2 car garage that I store all my stuff in year round. I just brought my space saver to my cousins to store it there for the winter. I'm running out of room for all my equipment and I put my truck in the garage in the winter so the space is tight plus I have a fairly large tool box and all my hunting blinds decoys deer stands.