PDA

View Full Version : home made bagging system help needed

flyingdutch16
11-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Hey guys,

Im thinking about making my own bagging system because i dont feel like paying 1000 dollars for a bagging system. I will be using this for sucking up those leaves and for dethatching. Now i think that i will need some sort of extra motor that can help with blowing it in to the bagging system. I found a cheap craftsman chipper/shredder on craigslist would that engine and impeller be good enough for the job?

heres the link to the shredder
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/grd/2681769797.html

Thanks for the help guys!

elitelawnteam1
11-05-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm not too sure if the engine is powerful enough, (assuming it's like a 5hp, I can't really tell) If you did decide to purchase it, I highly doubt that it would work well for dethatching (but that depends on how you dethatch, there are two ways) If you use a full blown power rake on a property, there is so much thatch that comes out it would just a waste of time, plus the hose would clog quite a bit too.

flyingdutch16
11-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Im probably gonna use jcro power rake, would that create to much thatch for the blower to handle?

Agape
11-05-2011, 01:54 PM
I really wanna see what u come up with, be sure to photodocument.

maybe u can build a bolt on bracket and use your BR550 to throw it into the bag.
I'm envisioning a regular riding mower type bag system with a simple hole in the front lowest point of the tube big enough for the end of the blower tube to go in and a bracket to hold the blower in place on the front wheel arms facing backwards-lock the throttle on the blower, and it should be plenty to hurl grass into the bags?

The lower you can mount the blower, the better so it can blow directly up the tube.

flyingdutch16
11-05-2011, 02:04 PM
id rather spend a few more bucks on a impeller and engine then use my br550. Plus i need the BR550 during fall clean ups to and i plan on using the bagger during the fall to. Anyways would a 5hp engine be enough or not? i think it should be fine considering that the mower shoots it fairly far to.

Agape
11-05-2011, 03:48 PM
i would think that a 5hp for mower assist is fine, if you wanted to do a leaf loader type setup you would want 11HP min.

my vision had the BR550 removable so you could easily remove/attach in seconds when needed, like a trailer rack. more of a clip or wing nut dealie-o. blow leaves out of beds and mount to mower and go. an impeller would get you desired shreddage though.

still wanna see what you come up with.

I should add that most chipper shredders are designed to cut and pulverize stuff and not nessesarily provide "lift" or suction.

WJC
11-05-2011, 04:36 PM
I think the backpack blower idea is the simple way to go. You can find a good used one on craigslist pretty reasonable and then when leaf season is over you have a backup blower on hand. I built one using a PB-620 backpack and it works really good.

punt66
11-05-2011, 05:34 PM
spend the money on a proper system and never look back. You will waste your time and money building one yourself.

flyingdutch16
11-05-2011, 10:41 PM
spend the money on a proper system and never look back. You will waste your time and money building one yourself.

I will only need it for 2 years and i will on use it for dethatching and maybe leave clean ups

punt66
11-05-2011, 10:47 PM
I will only need it for 2 years and i will on use it for dethatching and maybe leave clean ups

Its Leaf. I spent $2300 on mine. Some of the best money i have spent. Paid for itself in a few fall cleanups.

nortonlawncare
11-06-2011, 09:07 AM
sell your mower and buy a walker, or a similar mower

nortonlawncare
11-06-2011, 09:21 AM
check this out a fellow member on this site made his own bagging system for under 300 dollars. here is the link

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=347439

hope this helps

elitelawnteam1
11-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Im probably gonna use jcro power rake, would that create to much thatch for the blower to handle?

Jrco doesn't make power rakes, only those front mount spring tine dethatchers. You should be fine with the engine you have. I only thought it wouldn't work because I use a power dethatcher (the bluebird one) and that style of dethatcher pulls up a ton of thatch.

But I agree with Agape that you may want to look at the impeller to see if it's going to provide enough suction. If it doesn't, you could put some hi lifts on your mower and that would help a bit.

flyingdutch16
11-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Jrco doesn't make power rakes, only those front mount spring tine dethatchers. You should be fine with the engine you have. I only thought it wouldn't work because I use a power dethatcher (the bluebird one) and that style of dethatcher pulls up a ton of thatch.

But I agree with Agape that you may want to look at the impeller to see if it's going to provide enough suction. If it doesn't, you could put some hi lifts on your mower and that would help a bit.

Yea i meant the dethatcher my bad. And i have high lifts on at all times so thats saving me some money :) I was thinking a lawn sweeper might be an option to. Iknow its not as professional looking but ill only be like 10 lawns with it max.