PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Expense 2011

perdition_72
11-05-2011, 11:08 AM
I knew that fuel costs were high this year for my company, but when I composed a snapshot of what I spent in fuel for 2010 compared to 2011 year to date, we are up 27%. Needless to say, discouraging. Are many of your companies experiencing the same? And if so, what steps are you taking to manage. I know for us, it has been extremely hard to pass that cost on to customers in such a poor economy. I would appreciate any suggestions you may offer.

Regards.

Lawn Enforcer
11-05-2011, 11:24 AM
I've only spent about $200 more this year than I did last year at this point. The main thing I've done is minimize multiple trips. Try to group more jobs together.

An important thing that I've been telling people is to buy local. Bigger stores usually have stuff for cheaper than the local hardware store, but the money you spend on gas to drive that 60 mile round trip doesn't make those big box deals worth it in the end.

Agape
11-05-2011, 01:33 PM
I know last year I spent about $8K on fuel for my trucks.
I put my general prices on my website for maint. so I eliminate a lot of people who have no clue how much it costs to run a company. instead of "how much?" it's "can you do my house for that?" I dont get as many calls, but they're quality calls. and I drive out with less wasted time/fuel .

lqmustang
11-05-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm up about 14% over last year with pretty close to the same volume in business. Yes, my prices went up slightly to offset the cost of fuel, but those prices were very slight. It really doesn't take that much of an increase to make up the difference.

pinto n mwr
11-05-2011, 06:26 PM
I knew that fuel costs were high this year for my company, but when I composed a snapshot of what I spent in fuel for 2010 compared to 2011 year to date, we are up 27%. Needless to say, discouraging. Are many of your companies experiencing the same? And if so, what steps are you taking to manage. I know for us, it has been extremely hard to pass that cost on to customers in such a poor economy. I would appreciate any suggestions you may offer.

Regards.

27%, what % did the company grow?

Richard Martin
11-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Bigger stores usually have stuff for cheaper than the local hardware store, but the money you spend on gas to drive that 60 mile round trip doesn't make those big box deals worth it in the end.

Let me guess. You live out in the middle of nowhere?

I haven't tallied mine yet but I fear it will be scary. I'm grossing more money but the net is down. I can only think of one place that it's going.

larryinalabama
11-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Mabey well get luckey and gass will drop off some for next year.