PDA

View Full Version : Buy/sell value of full-maintenance accounts

starry night
11-06-2011, 12:40 PM
I have seen many threads about selling mowing accounts but what about full-maintenance accounts: mowing, shrub care, mulching, lawn apps, irrigation.

How would you guys value such accounts. There is no contract to sell, only the contact person and general information about the property e.g. what services are necessary and the time element for each account.

What do you think they are worth based on the total annual income for the account?

JDiepstra
11-06-2011, 01:18 PM
One month for signed contract. Otherwise zero.

Patriot Services
11-06-2011, 01:25 PM
I'd say maybe a one time 5% finders fee IF it amounted to anything. If a maintenence account isn't under contract its basically considered a one time service. That pretty much makes them leads and nothing more.
Posted via Mobile Device

starry night
11-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Maybe I should mention that I am the seller. Although no contract, these clients have been with me for as much as 10 years, the least 4 years.

Patriot Services
11-06-2011, 01:37 PM
They have been with YOU, with absolutely no guarantee they would go with ME.
Posted via Mobile Device

starry night
11-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Are you confident you can do as a good a job as me? :dancing:

(BTW Patriot, I am the former "dirtandhoops". Changed my username; going to concentrate on landscape and architectural lightiing.)

Patriot Services
11-06-2011, 02:05 PM
I wondered where you wandered off to. If I paid for accounts I would do an exceptional job just to protect my investment. I would pay maybe one quarters invoices and insist on a 3 way meet with the customers.
Posted via Mobile Device

starry night
11-06-2011, 03:07 PM
I have a dozen good commerical clients (banks, professional offices, better restaurants) who would hire someone just on my say-so. But I haven't found anyone that I have complete confidence in their consistency of service.

In advertising equipment for sale, I have had two or three guys inquire what I was going to do with my accounts. (and they know I don't have contracts.)

Patriot Services
11-06-2011, 04:53 PM
That kind of rapport sweetens the pot. How close if at all do you intend to maintain relations with these accounts. I agree most guys will run them into the ground. Have you considered subbing them out so you can still keep tabs on them?
Posted via Mobile Device

starry night
11-06-2011, 05:29 PM
That kind of rapport is the reason I am able to keep accounts for years.
I am moving out of the area, too far to keep tabs on any subcontractors.