PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions

fireman608
11-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Hey guys! Kind of new to the site. I have a few questions. I recently bought 5 acres of land to move my mobile home onto with intentions of building at a later date. I plan on moving onto it around April or May. The land is relatively flat where my home will be. There are 2 mounds of dirt pushed up which will be used for the pad. It was clear cut 12-20 years ago, not sure exactly when. Lots of sweet gums, some mimosa, few oaks and pines. I plan on planting bermuda grass which should do pretty good for south Alabama. I want to take a disc and boxblade and smooth it out in a few weeks. Should I plant a winter grass such as rye or leave it bare? What should I do about the stumps? I don't have a bulldozier or a heavy tractor just a 40 hp. I have sprayed the stumps with roundup but not sure that will kill them off.

Dr.NewEarth
11-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Round-up won't work for you if it's below 70 ferenheit. You also have to recut the bark to expose fresh cambium. It doesn't work very well.

Off the record, Try painting the exposed living cambium (bark) with diesel fuel.

I can't help you with the grass as we use cool season varieties up here....like fescues.

agrostis
11-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Bermuda grass is what you want in Alabama. Plant after the last frost and pray for rain. Bermuda can be hard to get going but once you do it won't stop. Do plant some rye or you will have mud. Cut a inch off the top of those stump's and paint the exposed wood with a 50/50 mix of 41% roundup concentrate and motor oil. (the oil helps hold the roundup in place) Do the cutting and painting within 20 minutes of each other. This will kill just about any tree except for cherry.