PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best smartphone for business?

GoPokes
11-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Its time to upgrade the cellphone and Im wondering what kind of smartphones do you guys use for business?

I know im late on getting one, but ive been pretty hard on phones in the past. This is my second year in business and think I could be more efficient with a better phone, ie; easier email, photos, GPS, good apps.

Anyway, just thought i'd get some ideas from guys using them in the day-to-day. Thanks for the feedback.

GreenThumbLawn&Landscape
11-07-2011, 06:15 PM
I use a HTC incredible. I love it and there are tons of business apps on Android market. Android also has a ruggedized smart phone now I am thinking if getting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
11-07-2011, 06:18 PM
I got the Evo from sprint. Its pretty tough in my opinion. I don't use it for business, mostly sexting and making calls and the gps when I'm out bidding.

JDiepstra
11-07-2011, 06:24 PM
I have the HTC ThunderBolt from Verizon. When I got it it was supposedly the best phone they had in every way. I hate it. The screen glass breaks too easily, the reception is worse than on my previous Motorola phones, and it seems to freeze up a lot. I hate it. Get a Motorola over an HTC is my opinion.

pfcjs
11-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Well I'm just getting into the lawn business but as far as smart phones and being tough, I would try the Casio Commando. I'm not sure if anyone else other then Verizon has it so I may be wasting my time mentioning it. However it is an Android phone and like GreenThumbLawn&Landscape mentioned they have plenty of business apps on the Android market.

I got the phone though because it's supposed to be a tough phone, the only Military Spec Android phone out at this point. I'm terribly hard on phones, my full time job is at with the fire department and I go through phones all the time. This one has held up great for the couple of months I have had it. It's already been dropped down about a 20' set of concrete steps and no scratches to show. Now you can buy pretty much any type of rugged case or otter box for any smart phone out there, but I like the Commando because I don't have to add any case to it which adds thickness and bulk to the phone which is a plus for me since I still carry mine in my pocket. It's also water proof and I have taken some pictures under water to prove it!

Lagniappe
11-08-2011, 08:02 AM
I have an iPhone 4, in a Otter Box Defender Case, and its pretty much indistructable, in my opinion.

jackal
11-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Motorola Droid X2 does everything I need it to. Trident case is fairly tough and not as bulky as the otter box.

Greg78
11-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Use an Iphone in a Lifeproof case. Drop, dust and waterproof
Posted via Mobile Device

GoPokes
11-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I hear droids have a better APP market, any truth to that?

GreenI.A.
11-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the info. I hear droids have a better APP market, any truth to that?

just about any app you can get for Iphone you can get for android. The reason there seems to be more android apps is that it is much easier to develop apps for Android. Android is more open and just about any app developed can be sold on the android market so long as it doesn't breach the requirments. Apple has mush strictor requirments for apps to be available in the app store. my buddy who developped his own app for bosth Androids and Iphones/Ipads. His Android app was available in the market abou hree business days after submitting it, his Apple version took about 3 months of going back and forth with apple to get it in the app store. When there is an update for the app, the Android version is available as soon as he submits it, with apple updates take about a week.

I use an Android, I have the Cassio Commando II on Verizon. The Commando is in the stores, some don't stock it but you can get it on the verizon site or the store can order it for you. It runs G'Zone so it has the built in compass, thermometer etc.. and it's built to mil specs, drop resistant, dust, water resistant. I got the Commando II as part of a test group and it is almost identical to the regular Commando except it has higher standards for drops, and water. i have dropped it into a glass while talking on it at the bar, after i pulled it out I shook the beer off and continued talking no problem. And that is without a bulky protective case on it. I believe the II is suposed to be available to the public some point this winter, it was supposed to be in Aug but they pushed it back a few months. Verizon didn't do much to advertise the Commando, i think i have seen mabe two commercials for it.

AintNoFun
11-08-2011, 04:09 PM
man guess im the only guy still using a blackberry.. i love it because of the keyboard, its an emailing machine!

GreenI.A.
11-08-2011, 05:36 PM
man guess im the only guy still using a blackberry.. i love it because of the keyboard, its an emailing machine!

Yeah but Android and Iphone users didn't have their network go down last month like blackberry did. My Brother, Sister, and Brother-in-law, all carry Blackberries as one works for a large financial company and the other two are attorneys. They got scewed when they had no email for a few hours

AintNoFun
11-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Yeah but Android and Iphone users didn't have their network go down last month like blackberry did. My Brother, Sister, and Brother-in-law, all carry Blackberries as one works for a large financial company and the other two are attorneys. They got scewed when they had no email for a few hours

how many years have they been in biz and they had a few hours down time? i didnt mind the peace and quiet when my went down...

deere615
11-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Casio Commando! Shockproof waterproof dust proof smart phone!! its what I have and love it

GreenI.A.
11-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Casio Commando! Shockproof waterproof dust proof smart phone!! its what I have and love it

Your the only other person who I have ever heard say they have a Commando.

stevenf
11-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Any android phone is the way to go. I do invoicing, take credit card payments, all of my Google calendar and documents and sync up at all times. Great to have!
Posted via Mobile Device

jsslawncare
11-08-2011, 09:18 PM
I have an iPhone 4, in a Otter Box Defender Case, and its pretty much indistructable, in my opinion.

Me Too!:clapping:

nepatsfan
11-13-2011, 04:53 PM

I have one too..I had the other casio's for years before they got the smart phone. When I saw they made a smart phone I jumped all over it. It was the only reason I went smart phone. I saw guys that had them and thought.....I would destroy that thing. Sweet phone though.

BPS##
11-13-2011, 08:59 PM

how many years have they been in biz and they had a few hours down time? i didnt mind the peace and quiet when my went down...

I read online this week that the crackberry system may be going away.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=2&ved=0CD4QqQIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxnews.com%2Fscitech%2F2011%2F11%2F12%2Fheavyweight-to-scrap-heap-whats-future-for-rim%2F&ctbm=nws&ei=2nXATteFLciQgwfFqo27Bw&usg=AFQjCNHmrfXjj38TolGAlr9YIIcATL9OHg&sig2=QrD3OOI8qRuaaL_6hI4_8A

https://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-laermer/farewell-to-blackberry-en_b_1085745.html&rct=j&sa=X&ctbm=nws&ei=2nXATteFLciQgwfFqo27Bw&ved=0CDUQ-AsoADAA&q=blackberry&usg=AFQjCNHNn5s2jOcwkhqMZZA8gLZ0p2BE4A&cad=rja

GoPokes
11-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Well I ended up goin with the iphone4 with otterbox defender case, and so far so good. Ended up spending a couple days on the mower last week doing clean ups, and that iheartradio app is awesome! Makes me wonder how i ever mowed without it.
Anyway, thanks for all the input!

wbw
11-15-2011, 10:39 AM

I had a G'z One. It was amazing. If the Commando had been out when I got my smart phone I would have one. Now I am to tied to AT&T.

Ijustwantausername
11-15-2011, 08:45 PM
iPhone, no question about it, ESPECIALLY iPhone 4S, it has SIRI which is an automated personal assistant that talks to you.

Gatewayuser
11-21-2011, 09:24 PM
I use a HTC incredible. I love it and there are tons of business apps on Android market. Android also has a ruggedized smart phone now I am thinking if getting.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a HTC Incredible on Verizon and love it.

M & MD Lawn
11-21-2011, 09:41 PM
I have the Motorola Photon from Sprint in the Otterbox defender, I like it, havent really got to use it for biz yet, havent plugged it up to the computer, but the apps do make like easier BUT ONE THING I WOULD SAY IS WHATEVER PHONE YOU GET, GET A OTTERBOX OR SEIDIO DEFENDER SERIES, THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY!