PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Lists

txirrigation
11-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Why? I have been looking around at the other parts of this forum and see never ending equipment lists. Is there a reason for this? Is this a way people try to legitimize themselves?

I could care less about your POS weed eater, or what kind of truck you drive. Seems as though no one has a list around this part of the forum, so just wondering.

Without A Drought
11-07-2011, 07:35 PM
how many shovel, pipe cutters, crimpers, channel locks, etc would you like me to list? would you like each item on a separate line? or is it ok to group common items?

GreenI.A.
11-07-2011, 07:39 PM
I'll flip through the other forums and post if I think I have something to offer and all of their long signatures drive me nuts. Especially the ones with craftsman mowers and ford Rangers.

For a while I was using this signature:

EIN Number
General Liability
Commercial Auto Policy
Workmans' Comp
Those are my most important pieces of equipment. I don't give a rat's a$$ what kind of blower or trimmer you have

greenmonster304
11-07-2011, 07:41 PM
I think it was probably just a few guys "chest thumping" and it caught on and now it's the norm.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
11-07-2011, 07:41 PM
how many shovel, pipe cutters, crimpers, channel locks, etc would you like me to list? would you like each item on a separate line? or is it ok to group common items?

I think it should all be listed seperately. And don't forget to list all of the fittings on your service truck. I'm making my list now, see you guys in about a week :laugh::laugh::laugh:

DanaMac
11-07-2011, 07:46 PM
I think it should all be listed seperately. And don't forget to list all of the fittings on your service truck. I'm making my list now, see you guys in about a week :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Can I just provide the Excel spread sheet with all the inventory of fittings, pipe, hand tools, electronic tools, compressors, trucks, computers, software? :)

I'm sure it's primarily the young guns trying to show off. We've all made fun of it.

HBFOXJr
11-07-2011, 07:56 PM
We sure don't see "my profit is bigger than your profit". Hmmm.

txirrigation
11-07-2011, 08:02 PM

Hahaha!

That is kind of what I was thinking. Honestly, I couldnt really tell you how much of what I have. I only keep track of the big ticket items i.e. trenchers, trucks, trailers, rock saws etc. When I hire a new Forman/Tech I outfit the truck, and to get new tools they have to turn in the worn out tool. If they have nothing to turn in, I assume it to be stolen and deduct it from the crew's pay check. Needless to say not much gets stolen, and when it does I have 3 guys in my office "secretly" telling me that the fourth stole something.

JDiepstra
11-07-2011, 08:08 PM
The reason I do it is the same as why I list my modifications to my Dodge Cummins truck on the Diesel Forum I am on. Having the info in the sig line serves multiple purposes.

1. It gives people info they may need to help answer a question I have asked.
2. It will allow them to see for themselves if I am answering certain questions from experience, or, opinion. If I'm answering about a mower, truck, etc, listed in my sig, there is a good chance my answer is more valid that someone who has never used one.
3. People who are looking for help can ask me specific questions about the equipment listed in my sig. "Hey man how do you like that John Deere 36?"

Enjoy my sig hahahahahahahha

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Not to ruin a good argument but in CP go to edit option(right above ignore list which doesn't get used nearly enough.) scroll down and you can eliminate signatures, avatars, and images.

JDiepstra
11-07-2011, 08:18 PM
But then what will they complain about?

DanaMac
11-07-2011, 08:20 PM
But then what will they complain about?

Oh believe me, there will be more to complain about.

JDiepstra
11-07-2011, 08:21 PM
hahahahahha

ARGOS
11-07-2011, 08:33 PM
milk
ham
eggs
bread
beer

oops...sorry wrong list.

Wet_Boots
11-08-2011, 12:36 AM
no Maalox?

Sprinkus
11-08-2011, 09:03 AM
My list would take up the whole page and there wouldn't be room for additional posts. :laugh:

DanaMac
11-08-2011, 09:07 AM
I have an inventory/tool/equipment/vehicle list with 942 items on it. I think I should post it up as well.

AI Inc
11-08-2011, 09:33 AM
a french one
a german one
several irish rirls
a greek one
several Italians
2 english
and too many that I never bothered asking.

txirrigation
11-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I have an inventory/tool/equipment/vehicle list with 942 items on it. I think I should post it up as well.

How do you keep up with that? I just try to keep track of everything that is $300+. As far as everything else, the turn over is so high it would be a full time job keeping track of all of it.

Like I said before I keep track of tools by making my guys turn in the worn out tools in order to get new ones.

mnglocker
11-08-2011, 12:05 PM
I think the idea behind it is if someone on here needs a sub, they can say oh yeah, that guy is equipped to handle it.

I know for a fact that someone running around with just a walk behind isn't going to be able to handle my accounts if I'm outta town.

On plowsite, I've got trucks with plows listed, type/size of blade and a generic "yes I have snow blowers" list. again, it's for sub work. If someone needs a hand on a lot, they can say 'glocker has a 3/4ton with a v blade, he can handle it, we'll give him a call. etc....

txgrassguy
11-08-2011, 12:41 PM
I never felt the need to post an equipment list. Among other reasons just my equipment inventory spans several pages although no where near Dana's. Something like 470 odd pieces of equipment valued over $300.

However, since you asked here is my "standard" list I trot out whenever a client asks:

2 shovel drivers, my dog, a good truck and a willing appetite for cold beer and warm women.

DanaMac
11-08-2011, 12:53 PM
I never felt the need to post an equipment list. Among other reasons just my equipment inventory spans several pages although no where near Dana's. Something like 470 odd pieces of equipment valued over $300.

My list has all the parts we have on hand. Every nozzle, every clamp, every fitting, every head, and quantity. I have my guys count them all up this time of year. Gives them something to do for a couple days. Not really necessary, but I promise them work until about Dec. 1, so they might as well be doing something for me.

GreenI.A.
11-08-2011, 01:19 PM
I kept an inventory of everything on the service truck and on the trailer for installs this spring. At the end of the day i subtracted what was used from the excel form but that only lasted till maybe June. My new system is that each storage bin has a limit number on it, when the quantity drops to that level I make sure it gets on my list to order from the supplier or pull from my storage if i have it on hand. As far as tools, each door on the service truck (utility body) has a list of tools that are stored in that compartment, same thing on my install trailer

1idejim
11-13-2011, 02:30 PM
we all have prolly given away, lost or had stolen more stuff than we can list, so why bother.

Mike Leary
11-13-2011, 04:09 PM
we all have prolly given away, lost or had stolen more stuff than we can list, so why bother.

Ditto, I've looked in the ST for something and realised the crew had the landscape install crew's stuff and vice versa.

Darryl G
11-13-2011, 08:55 PM
The original idea of listing your equipment in your signature line was as JDiepstra has stated. The late Eric Elm, a moderator and administrator here in the old days, encouraged people to list their equipment in their signature lines. I do think that some people take it too far, but overall I think it's helpfull.

Mike Leary
11-13-2011, 09:04 PM
The late Eric Elm, a moderator and administrator here in the old days, encouraged people to list their equipment in their signature lines. I do think that some people take it too far, but overall I think it's helpfull.

On another forum, listing one's stuff may be cool to establish the fact of one's business. On the irrigation forum, listing of rolling stock means d*ck and is obnoxious.

mitchgo
11-13-2011, 11:08 PM
I have 14 hunter keys in my truck

mitchgo
11-13-2011, 11:08 PM
and 4 of the green rain bird screwdriver keys

txirrigation
11-14-2011, 06:58 PM

haha, I think we all have that or more.

JDiepstra
11-14-2011, 07:06 PM
On another forum, listing one's stuff may be cool to establish the fact of one's business. On the irrigation forum, listing of rolling stock means d*ck and is obnoxious.

Your post count is obnoxious!

Mike Leary
11-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Your post count is obnoxious!

So is your list of crap I don't care about.

JDiepstra
11-14-2011, 07:30 PM
So is your list of crap I don't care about.

Hey we can go back and forth all day if you want to keep bumping up your post count!

Mike Leary
11-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Hey we can go back and forth all day if you want to keep bumping up your post count!

Not really, I do have a life beyond sprinklers, somewhere. *trucewhiteflag*

JDiepstra
11-14-2011, 07:33 PM

Hahahaha ok you win. :laugh:

starry night
11-14-2011, 08:37 PM
My favorite is from capelawncare:

1964 VW Squareback
21" Murray Push mower
Hand Edger
Elec Weedeater
Push Broom

I laughed myself silly the first time I saw that.

Without A Drought
11-14-2011, 08:49 PM

Those screwdriver are like money with me. i use hunter, but keep the green screwdriver in my pocket with my knife. its prolly more used than my channellocks. all my techs know not to lose or break the RB screwdriver, cuz i'm not giving up mine, nor am i buying a case of 5000s to get more.

GreenI.A.
11-14-2011, 08:57 PM
My favorite is from capelawncare:

1964 VW Squareback
21" Murray Push mower
Hand Edger
Elec Weedeater
Push Broom

I laughed myself silly the first time I saw that.

I saw one today, I counted and it was 22 lines long. I should look back through and see if i could find that one

Mike Leary
11-14-2011, 08:59 PM
I saw one today, I counted and it was 22 lines long. I should look back through and see if i could find that one

Please, pretty please, don't post it here.:nono:

txirrigation
11-14-2011, 11:31 PM

Leary's equipment list includes:

Tin Can (RV)... well... a lot of experience that he will randomly spout around here.... thats about it.

So i think it's fair to say he has figured something out that we have not.

I also believe he has about 15-20 yrs on me so maybe I will figure it out soon enough

Mike Leary
11-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Leary's equipment list includes:

Tin Can (RV)

Yup, that's about it. :)

Wet_Boots
11-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Cactus Hug looks as good as ever. :)

gladi8r
01-30-2012, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't personally list my stuff, for several reasons, not the least of which is that it tells potential crooks exactly what I have to steal. It isn't brain surgery to find any of our business/personal info on the internet, and giving folks a potential list of what to steal and where to steal it isn't a smart move IMHO.

That said, to each his own. If my competitors want to list what they have, so be it. I'm not in a place to judge what others do. I do what I think is right, and calling people out on what I might see as silly or unprofessional might be seen as being petty or unprofessional. Definitely ironic in any case.

John Doe
1234 Sesame Street, Springfield.

Fisher Price Bubble Mower
Mommy's good kitchen broom

starry night
01-30-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm just starting out in the mowing business. Trying to figure out what mower to buy. Have you had good success with the bubble mower?

DanaMac
01-30-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm just starting out in the mowing business. Trying to figure out what mower to buy. Have you had good success with the bubble mower?

From what I hear, it's a light weight entry level mower. It will get you buy for a little while but it will break down sooner than later. I also hear the cut it gives is pretty worthless. And the bubbles can distract an employee, especially when they are already high on some MMJ or LSD. :)

Kiril
01-30-2012, 12:52 PM
My shiit is better than everyone else!
-----------------------------------------------------

Tonka Dump Truck
Hot Wheels Trick Tracks Bionic Bash
Autobot Wheelie
Autobot Optimus Prime (for long hauls) :weightlifter:
Autobot Ironhide :cool:
Melissa & Doug Clicker Crab Pail and Shovel
John Deere Sand Bucket and Shovel with Gator and Tractor
Little Tikes Gas 'n Go Mower
Little Helper Broom Set ----- (blowers are for hacks)
Little Tikes Zebra Sand Sifter Topper Set
Toysmith 2296 Kid's Gardening Hand Tool Set
Radio Flyer All-Terrain Steel and Wood Wagon
Radio Flyer Big Red Classic Atw
Razor Rip-Rider 360 Drifting Ride-On ..... PRIZED POSSESSION :dancing:
John Deere - 21" Big Scoop Dump Truck
John Deere 1:16 7430 Tractor with Duals
John Deere 1:16 7430 Tractor with Loader
John Deere 1:16 200DLC Excavator
John Deere Dumping Wagon
Bruder CATERPILLAR Skid Steer Loader
Bruder CATERPILLAR Track-Type tractor
Bruder Loader Backhoe
Paul Frank Helmet and Bike Bell
Little Tikes Push & Ride Racer (for sale ... fast .... best offer)

........ and a whole lot more stuff too ..... :clapping:

gladi8r
01-30-2012, 01:18 PM

The bubble mower is awesome, but the powerhead is a sealed non-serviceable unit, so when it breaks, you have to buy a whole new mower.

It does keep the employees entertained, though. That, and the shiny mirror balls that a few customers have in their beds. Weeeeeeee :)

Kiril
01-30-2012, 01:22 PM
I'M COOL! :dancing: Check out my shiit!

Tonka Dump Truck
Autobot Wheelie
John Deere Dumping Wagon
Bruder Loader Backhoe

Mike Leary
01-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Geez, you pros have all the cool stuff, no wonder you make the big bucks.payup

Kiril
01-30-2012, 01:51 PM
MY STUFF IS BETTER THAN YOURS!

Tonka Dump Truck
Autobot Wheelie
John Deere Dumping Wagon
Bruder Loader Backhoe

Mdirrigation
01-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Nice airstream , I always wanted one of those .

Mike Leary
01-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Nice airstream , I always wanted one of those .

Not many made, especially the Isuzu diesel versions. My advice would be to find one while you're still working and pour money into it; well worth the investment. They made the diesel in a 28' and a 31 footer until 1984. It's a GMC bread-truck chassis, all mechanical parts are still available. Get ready for my reaction (on the right) when the mechanic tells you how much the brakes are going to cost.

http://airforums.com

txirrigation
01-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Not many made, especially the Isuzu diesel versions. My advice would be to find one while you're still working and pour money into it; well worth the investment. They made the diesel in a 28' and a 31 footer until 1984. It's a GMC bread-truck chassis, all mechanical parts are still available. Get ready for my reaction (on the right) when the mechanic tells you how much the brakes are going to cost.

http://airforums.com

haha the best is his reaction. All smiles. That's the look that I get when a customer tells me that they went with the lowest bid and their system isnt working right.

Mike Leary
01-30-2012, 09:31 PM
haha the best is his reaction. All smiles. That's the look that I get when a customer tells me that they went with the lowest bid and their system isnt working right.

Your right, that pic goes both ways.

Mdirrigation
01-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Right now I dont have time for another project , turned the big 50 last month , my oldest is in 1st grade , youngest is 3 years old , I have a 62 vette 80% done and a 72 3 door surburban 1/2 done . For camping I picked up a 24 ft mallard pretty cheap the 2 boys tear things up pretty quick . Cut my work hours to 8am to 4 pm to spend time with the kids .

Mike Leary
01-30-2012, 10:05 PM
I have a 62 vette 80% done

Finish the 'vette and sell it, otherwise you'll wrap yourself around a pole trying to relive the past. For us over 50 types, slowing down and cruising is the way, the truth and the light. :)

Mdirrigation
01-30-2012, 10:17 PM
If i was trying to relive the past I would be driving a 1969 ford van with a 240 6 cyl , 3 bald tires , with fur on the dash board . If I had anything like the 62 vette when I was younger, I would have been in a box looooong time ago. I wasnt allowed to own a V8 until I moved out .

Wet_Boots
01-31-2012, 10:18 AM
If i was trying to relive the past I would be driving a 1969 ford van with a 240 6 cyl , 3 bald tires , with fur on the dash board . If I had anything like the 62 vette when I was younger, I would have been in a box looooong time ago. I wasnt allowed to own a V8 until I moved out ."Gooseberry was a working man. He used to load that Econoline... van."
foydBgsse6Q