PDA

View Full Version : vib plowing

RandalatA1Sprinklers
11-07-2011, 09:17 PM
I am buying a vib plow next season and am looking for some info on how other guys do it. I use poly pipe and my valve boxes are out in the yard. When plowing how do you guys that plow run your controller wire? Do you plow it in seperate above or next to the mainline, or do you attach it right to the mainline and plow it in at the same time?

When I do my mainline now I always leave a loop in each valve box. If you plow the mainline and controller wire at the same time, how do you leave a loop by each valve?

Any other good ideas or advice for a plowing? Ant tips or tricks?

As always, thanks for all the good info!

greenmonster304
11-07-2011, 09:30 PM
If you pull fairly straight you should be able to dig up where yourmvalve is and pull some slack as long as you don't drive back over the line you just pulled and collapse the void.
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-07-2011, 09:41 PM
If I plowed which I never will I'd sadly explore the manifold option. Not sure I'd want plowed in wire. No slack for expansion.

irritation
11-07-2011, 09:47 PM
When I pull wire with main, after I unhook the pipe I pull a little extra wire.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-07-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm not concerned about slack at the box. I'm concerned about no slack for expansion in the ditch. Seems, especially in clay, that would be a problem.

S.O.Contracting
11-07-2011, 09:57 PM
When I pull wire with main, after I unhook the pipe I pull a little extra wire.

Same way I do it. Just tie your wire off behind the bullet on your blade. And make sure you have a good size bullet it'll leave a bigger "tunnel" which you will leave you with the ability to pull wire through easier.

irritation
11-07-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm not concerned about slack at the box. I'm concerned about no slack for expansion in the ditch. Seems, especially in clay, that would be a problem.

That's what great about plowing, there is no ditch.:)

GreenI.A.
11-07-2011, 11:58 PM
I pull it right through with my pipe, when i tie my wire to the bullet I simply leave a couple extra feet on the tail end of the know, that usually works fine. The only problem I have had is when pulling a long run of wire with out pipe, I have ripped the wire apart and had to start over. i think the difference is when pulling pipe the pipe is a lot stronger than the wire and the wire ccan just ride alone with it and the pipe being larger in diameter absorbs alot of the friction with the soil. This isn't to common and is only a concern when pulling over a couple hundred feet.

mitchgo
11-12-2011, 04:26 PM
For us. We will pull the wire with the ML run.

The person unraveling the roll of poly will monitor the wire roll too

We have have the wire roll hooked through a piece of rebar through a standard size valve box so it can roll by itself.

Usually you can just pull the wire for extra slack. Sometimes I'll just leave the wire connected to the bullet after I pull the bar open and just pull more wire.

Wet_Boots
11-12-2011, 04:55 PM
When you are planning a system with wire pulled in the field, you should try to limit the distance between valve boxes to 100 feet, which in turn limits the stress of contraction forces underground. When you can't achieve the 100-foot spacing, you can dig up the wire at 100-foot intervals and pull out some slack, and use it to make an expansion coil, which can be buried, with a sleeve placed around the coil.

HBFOXJr
11-13-2011, 12:25 PM
We pull all the poly lats first to the valve locations. Poly is on a reel for one man pulling. Cover the end with duct tape and shove it back flush with the ground.

Tuck the end of the wire in to the main, duct tape and place in grip. Like others said, don't be chintzy with bullet size, so all slides easy. At valve locations, we pull up a loop about 12-18" above ground. Takes care of expansion and makes wiring easy. You can sit on the ground, kneel, sit on a milk crate and do your work.

One thing that makes me want to hurt another contractor is when we have an electric problem and find the !@#$ solenoid leads going out under the valve box and tight as a drum head.

Controllers - Place them 64" from the floor to the top of the box. A 5ft woman or a 6ft man can easily read them. Vanity mirrors are about 60" from floor to center of mirror. Also, leave extra wire in the controller. We strip just inside the controller and leave enough length to run to the top or side of the electrical space and then double back neatly to the terminal. Unused wires get a twist or 2 and folded as well. Yeh, I wanna hurt those guys too. :hammerhead:

RandalatA1Sprinklers
11-15-2011, 09:38 PM
We pull all the poly lats first to the valve locations. Poly is on a reel for one man pulling. Cover the end with duct tape and shove it back flush with the ground.

Tuck the end of the wire in to the main, duct tape and place in grip. Like others said, don't be chintzy with bullet size, so all slides easy. At valve locations, we pull up a loop about 12-18" above ground. Takes care of expansion and makes wiring easy. You can sit on the ground, kneel, sit on a milk crate and do your work.

One thing that makes me want to hurt another contractor is when we have an electric problem and find the !@#$ solenoid leads going out under the valve box and tight as a drum head.

Controllers - Place them 64" from the floor to the top of the box. A 5ft woman or a 6ft man can easily read them. Vanity mirrors are about 60" from floor to center of mirror. Also, leave extra wire in the controller. We strip just inside the controller and leave enough length to run to the top or side of the electrical space and then double back neatly to the terminal. Unused wires get a twist or 2 and folded as well. Yeh, I wanna hurt those guys too. :hammerhead:

Yep, I always leave a nice loop inside the valve box. I have run into also where there is no slack and it sucks! I do the same in controller too.

Sprinkus
11-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Use protection and a lubricant.

cppendergrast
12-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Wire should never be "pulled" in, only dropped. They make special blades just for that. For 25 years we have trenched the mainline and 14 gauge wire and pulled in laterals. Never use multi-strand except in the ghetto.

greenmonster304
12-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Wire should never be "pulled" in, only dropped. They make special blades just for that. For 25 years we have trenched the mainline and 14 gauge wire and pulled in laterals. Never use multi-strand except in the ghetto.

I must live and work in the ghetto.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
12-08-2011, 09:02 PM
I've only been pulling wire for about three decades or so. I suppose it will all go smash one of these decades.

HBFOXJr
12-09-2011, 10:08 AM

We've been at it 40 years just "pulling" away taped to the main in the grip. However our bullet/mole is always generously over sized and pipe and wire can be easily slide through the tunnel. Rock is not an issue in our area either. But as long as all can slide freely, abrasion is not a problem.

We do a cable blade for for occasional wire only projects. We snake it in the trench when installing 3" and larger pipe.