PDA

View Full Version : Production time

paul
11-14-2002, 09:21 PM
Looking for your production time for paver installations. Now I'm not talking about easy stuff but more along the line of hard jobs. The job we are doing is a pattern. Imagine a ladder in perspective, larger at the bottom narrowing to the top, two different color bricks, one for the ladder and one for the field or background, the risers on the ladder taper from 2' wide at the bottom to 1 foot wide at the top. Each rung of the ladder is different. We have 4 of these ladders to install around 3000 sq ft. Pavers we are using on this is holland stone 6 cm in a stack bond. Around and thru the ladders we are inlaying a fire hose this will wrap around the fire hose and end in a nozzle. This is in a small square paver.

What would you figure your installation times on the ladder sections?

How many sq ft per day? How many men? Figure in colder weather conditions. Base preped day before but edeging and sand installed that day.

Stonehenge
11-14-2002, 09:25 PM
What are the dimensions of the ladder?

What method do you have for marking the pattern?

Do you just want to know the time involved for the detail cutting work?

Can you post a pic of the design?

paul
11-14-2002, 09:31 PM
Working plans are in the truck right now. might even be a bit wet.
right now we are hitting 480 to 550 sq ft per day with a four man crew. This crew can do 1200 sq ft a day, but we haven't been doing this intricate in quite some time.

paul
11-14-2002, 09:44 PM
lets try this one

Lanelle
11-14-2002, 10:41 PM
For the left circle with the three ladders, is the pattern laid consistantly with only the color change to show the ladders? If so I would think that laying it solid in the background color and then going back and cutting the pattern and inlaying the second color would make it go faster because the background could go in quickly. The right circle looks to be a slow process regardless of how you do it. So I would look at the rate as varying according to which part of the plaza that they are doing. In fact I would guess that the left side will take 50% less time than the right side.

Stonehenge
11-14-2002, 11:05 PM
That looks like a sweet project! I don't know if you keep a portfolio, but this would be the one to go on the front page, IMHO.

I see an area marked as sodded lawn that looks like it's in the paver area - does the hose from the left area serve as a walk to the right area, with turf in between? As I look at it, it appears there's paver area that weaves in and out of planting areas. When on a small scale, I like to just prep the whole thing, then pull out the stone where the plantings/turf are going. It eliminates the need to get separate areas of pavers to match up when traveling around the bed.

It looks like accurate layout would be as (if not more) time consuming than the actual cutting.

But honestly, for something that detailed, those production rates seem reasonable, even for los superhumanos you have.

kris
11-15-2002, 05:47 AM
Looks like a great job!

They normally do 1200 a day ... this looks to be AT LEAST twice as difficult then your average paver job.... cold weather is probably another 25% loss on the day.
I'd say they are doing ok
Are you doing the left circle like Lanelle suggested?.

steveair
11-15-2002, 03:48 PM
Hello,

How do you have your 4 man crew set up?

I'm trying to think how a job like that might go. Looks like a logistical nightmare!

I guess I would start with all the base course and what not, and then work on laying the pavers. The thing is how did you start the laying process? With so many different areas, I'm not sure where I would start.

And then, being that all the areas are inter-twined, do you break the rule of laying what can be cut/compacted in a day, and just lay all the sections the best you can, and then start layout/cutting?

I would think you started out with a larger crew to get the bricks in, then downsize to a smaller, more skilled crew to do all the cuts and layout.

For time, I would have to approach it as I do small walkways and what not.....For each skilled man and 1 laborer, probably about 200 sq ft a day (bascically a two man crew). Not sure how many crews you could have running around either, as many sections would only be able to be completed after the next.

Looks like a great job though! I'll be looking for you in the ICPI awards section next year!

steve

paul
11-15-2002, 04:49 PM
Our main problem of the site is space, it's only 65' wide by 130' long. we have very little room to store product, gravel or dirt. So we installed our gravel base on 1/2 of the site and brought in our black dirt ( about 100 cu yds, then we planted our larger trees. We are delivering pavers as we go, 2 skids at a time. We then started with the larger ladder on the left.

We thought about installing the back ground pavers first but worried about bond lines matching so went with install everything at once part :)
Second ladder left side (smaller one) was done this Am and we have started on the hose at that point. We will start on the third ladder this afternoon stopping short of the fourth ladder. Monday the plumber will install the water line for the sprinkler system . then we will install the balance of the dirt and gravel for the right side. Just a note there is no parking anywhere near this job and it is surrounded by 8' high fence.

kris
11-16-2002, 11:56 AM
Would love to see a pic when it is done Paul.

kris
12-17-2002, 08:09 PM
I wanted to bring this back up Paul, in hopes that you would now have a pic of the finished product.

Stonehenge
12-17-2002, 09:28 PM
Good thinkin'. :)

Lanelle
12-17-2002, 11:32 PM
Let's see those pictures!:)