PDA

View Full Version : fall treatment but turf not dormant

grassmasterswilson
11-08-2011, 08:42 PM
So I really need to start my final round on my warm season customers. We've had some cool nights but not enough to make all the turf turn brown. I have some very green centipede lawns even though none of these needs mowing.

I don't mind an application on bermuda....if it burns you should be ok with a frost or two hopefully coming soon. I try my best to avoid centipede/st aug apps on transitioning turf.

Any advice? The trees are holding lots of leaves that have turned in the last few days and I need to beat the leaves to the ground. Thinking of starting with bermuda lawns and hope by the time i'm done centipede will be brown.

WestGaPineStraw
11-08-2011, 09:56 PM
What does the simazine label tell you about applying?

I'd start by reading the label Mr. Wilson...
Posted via Mobile Device

grassmasterswilson
11-08-2011, 10:39 PM
What does the simazine label tell you about applying?

I'd start by reading the label Mr. Wilson...
Posted via Mobile Device

Instructions on the label?? Never knew that...all this time i'd been guessing and eyeballing.

All I was asking is if anyone had applied to semi-dormant turf and what if any bad results they had.

WestGaPineStraw
11-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Im picking at cha a bit...

I'm not an expert on this matter, maybe some of the others can chime in..I have not had any neg effects on apply simazine when turf is going into dormancy. I believe the label states to apply in oct with no restrictions other than hybrid muda.
Posted via Mobile Device

AuburnHort2005
11-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Hey Patrick,

I've been doing my centipede accounts at the beginning of my fall app. rounds while they're still "green" before my bermuda and zoysia accounts and haven't had any problems on any thinning or injury.

But Wes is right. It does say "use precautions and restrictions on newly sprigged turf, berumda, non-dormant bermuda or non-dormant zoysia, temporary slowing of growth or yellowing can occur."

I did my first fall app with just pre-em only starting Sept 1st on my centi and then second app with pre-em and post around Oct 15.

I have two St. Aug. accounts and I just treat those with pre-em only, no post.

Maybe I've just been getting lucky.

grassmasterswilson
11-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Usually by now we've had a few frosts an everything is dormant. I'm just waiting but fear the ground will be covered in leaves if I don't start soon. Then it may be December and really cold weather. Label say after October 1 but I've alway done this round in mid to late November.

Predicting the weather is like playing with the devil!!
Posted via Mobile Device

TurfWerks
11-15-2011, 07:10 PM
I realize the label for Simazine says oct 1st. I mean does the weeds or temperature really know its OCT 1?

Dont get me wrong its a debate we have in our shop as to is it really gonna make a difference if we start spraying it september 25th?

Just wanted an opinion.