PDA

View Full Version : Is this trailer worth the price?

iheartJMS
11-08-2011, 10:34 PM
I am in the market for a trailer and came across something that I thought was a good deal...at first. Let me know what you think.

-6x16 tandem axle trailer
-dual 5000lb. axles
-good tires
-triple crown weed eater rack
-standard sides and ramp gate
-$700.00

Then this is what I'm unsure of. After asking, the owner told me that the trailer does not have brakes. Seems to me that a trailer this size should? What's the point of having dual 5000lb axles if you won't even be able to stop when it's loaded? He said, "I've done it, as long as your brakes aren't ***** it will stop."

If it matters, I would be towing with a newer crew cab f150. Don't plan on having any heavy equipment. One zero turn at the most besides the normal walk behind, trimmers, etc.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

sjessen
11-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Does your state/dot require brakes? Can they be retrofitted?

Otherwise, the price sounds good.

iheartJMS
11-08-2011, 10:51 PM
I think the law here in FL is if the trailer is over 3000lbs it needs brakes...

Kelly's Landscaping
11-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Your talking about electric brakes for 4 wheels and rewiring the entire trailer. It will cost you a 1000 minimum to do that.

sjessen
11-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Your talking about electric brakes for 4 wheels and rewiring the entire trailer. It will cost you a 1000 minimum to do that.

Cheaper to buy new axles.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Iv had an axle snap and had to buy a new one and the brakes were destroyed when that wheel broke off. So we had to buy new brake kits for 4 wheels. Now you can buy complete kits so that may be the way to go but they do require some ability to install them or you have to pay some one too do it. And 5k axle complete kits will cost a pretty penny but its is nice to know they are new.

PlantscapeSolutions
11-12-2011, 01:14 AM
When considering a used trailer always stand back about 50' and look really closely at the axles to see if the tires are leaning in even a hair. I find more often then not used tandem 5K trailer have been over loaded and damaged.

I've also seen tires that looked straight but as soon as a few hundred pounds were set on the back of the trailer the tires started to lean in.

Mow4It
11-12-2011, 11:38 AM
-6x16 tandem axle trailer
-dual 5000lb. axles-good tires
-triple crown weed eater rack
-standard sides and ramp gate
-$700.00

What are your thoughts and opinions?

I would really question if they were dual 5,000lb axles or if they were actually dual 3,500lb axles. Everything else about the description says it's pretty much a standard, run of the mill 16 foot utility trailer - which typically only have dual 3,500lb axles. Not saying they couldn't be 5k's, but would be unusual for a trailer that size. If you could get a pic and possibly a hitch size that would help. If it has 5k lb axles it would have a 2 5/16" ball otherwise it would be a 2". Pics would help - if it turns out to have 3,500lb axles, fenders aren't bend down on the tires, floor is in good shape and paint isn't too bad, $700 sounds about right. If it's a homemade POS, keep looking.