PDA

View Full Version : Why no side ramps on enclosed trailers?

brookline
11-08-2011, 11:11 PM
I have used open trailers with side ramps (curbside) and absolutely loved them. Why is it that no company makes them on an enclosed trailer? I like being able to pull the walkbehinds off the trailer without moving the ZTR's or vise versa. If anyone knows of a company that has this option please let me know. Or maybe we should let it be known that this is something that these companies should try to offer us.:help:

Lugnut
11-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Ive never seen it but would love to have this option as well...so much time would be saved

Lbilawncare
11-08-2011, 11:14 PM
r and r makes one. There are others available, mostly designed for snowmobiles.

Glenn Lawn Care
11-08-2011, 11:18 PM
I was going to say you can get a snowmobile trailer,, but the ramp is on the front v portion.

brookline
11-08-2011, 11:19 PM
r and r makes one. There are others available, mostly designed for snowmobiles.

I have seen the v-nose gates on snow mobile trailers but cant find one on a regular and I am reluctant thinking that the V-nose would be half on the curb and half off. I have never heard of R and R I will look them up.

knox gsl
11-08-2011, 11:25 PM
I have seen a custom 18' that had a 54" side ramp/door. It used the same lift spring setup as the back door.

brookline
11-08-2011, 11:29 PM
I have seen a custom 18' that had a 54" side ramp/door. It used the same lift spring setup as the back door.

I'm thinking I may just have to make the side ramp myself. I am pretty suprised that this has not been an option on the trailers by now. They make the open trailers with it so I would think it would make sense to offer it on the enclosed as well.

Hawkshot99
11-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Problem with a snowmobile trailer is the ramp is on the driver side. When parking them along a snowbank they still need to be able to open the ramp door, so it must open into the road.

Jimslawncareservice
11-09-2011, 04:49 AM

It was an option on my trailer when I ordered it in 07. Wish all the time I had gotten it
Posted via Mobile Device

TLS
11-09-2011, 06:42 AM
Certain manufacturers do have them as options. Forget which right now.

I fabricated a side gate on my open 16'er back in '97. Only made it 50". Makes for a tight squeeze for my 48" SCAG WB. Wouldn't buy a trailer w/o a side gate.

I am looking to go with an enclosed and it WILL have this option along with 2 fuel doors.

I would think that if you order custom, that all manufacturers would do this. They just use off the shelf parts.

When I did this to my open trailer, I beefed up my frame on that side. With the MUCH thicker frames on open trailers they don't rely on the upper rails for strength like open trailers do.

Glenn Lawn Care
11-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Problem with a snowmobile trailer is the ramp is on the driver side. When parking them along a snowbank they still need to be able to open the ramp door, so it must open into the road.

Not all of them, my buddies is on the passenger side.

ecurbthims
11-09-2011, 09:57 AM
my brother owns a sound and lighting business ,his 24' has two or three gates on the sides ,but he custom ordered it like that .

rlong97150
11-09-2011, 12:58 PM
I have a 2010 Pace Enclosed with a 60 inch side ramp door. It was an option and I use it most every day. Here is a link to a couple of pics

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=338097&page=3

Thanks

Bob

ed2hess
11-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Some of us get closed trailers for security and no side doors of any kind can be safe. I will post some pictures of the brown company trailers showing how they got the side doors bolted shut with big angle iron.

TLS
11-11-2011, 12:20 PM
I think "most" of the company's with enclosed trailers are run with multi-man crews. In this case, almost all the equipment is unloaded at every stop.

For the average solo-operator, unloading a ZTR and a WB just to get to a 21"er is very time consuming.

I use my side gate multiple times a day. Not every lawn I have is ZTR only. I trim intricate areas with the 21" or 48" WB. Having to unload the ZTR to gain access to the smaller equipment is not only a time issue, but a wear-and-tear issue as well. Starting up a ZTR to move it backwards 12' is hard on the hydro's and engine oil. Not to mention the fuel used to do this several times a day.

A side gate will surely pay for itself for a solo operator.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-19-2011, 05:36 PM
On enclosed trailers you usually don't want to have a large area of wall space where the second ramp would be where you can't hang anything. I need every square foot of wall space I have. I run up to three mowers and just keep the one I need the most at the back. Quick pull of the Prolocker pin and it's out the door.

I do find wide trailers are the only way to go. The trailers with exterior fenders are too skinny inside and you waste time trying to get to your stuff.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Here's a picture of my setup with the push mower at the back. It is secures with cheap custom made blocks. You can get it in and out in 30 seconds. It takes some serious thought to get a trailer efficiently laid out. I see way more wasteful trailers then good ones running around.

I've seen guy with enclosed trailers but they still had string trimmers and blowers rolling around in the back of the truck. :hammerhead:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Yep side ramp for the WB's would be nice for sure. Yeah you could drop a 21 out the standard swing open side door but its those 36" + ers that need the extra help.

professional
12-20-2011, 06:57 AM
I ordered my Carry-On trailer with a fifty-four inch side opening and bought those ramp makers that you bolt to one end of one inch by twelve inch boards. They are about six feet long. I bring my twenty-one inch push mower and thirty-six inch walk-behind in and out with them. Eleven dollars I think.