PDA

View Full Version : Leaves and shade= no grass!

South Florida Lawns
11-08-2011, 11:30 PM
So my back yard is all Laurel oaks that are messy with constant leaves dropping and its pretty shady too. I just trimmed the trees off my roof and also got more light to hit my St. Augustine which is yellow and thin, even with fertilizer and water I cant get solid turf. I know my PH is all whacked out from the acid in the leaves and us mulching them with the mowers, what all do i need to get a decent back yard? I know my Floratam St. Augustine hates shade, which is why I'm half tempted to try some Palmetto. Any ideas guys?

Keith
11-09-2011, 12:58 AM
How big of an area? How compacted is the ground? Loads of roots near the surface?

Ric
11-09-2011, 08:06 AM
South

Live Oaks shed leaves year round which isn't as big PITA as Laurels that drop leaves at the same time. I also believe Laurels produce more leaves.

A shade loving Ground cover like Wedelia might be a way of keeping some green. Wedelia can be mowed, needs very little Fert or water and stays bright green. It spread very fast in fact so fast it is considered a Noxious Exotic.

Florida Gardener
11-09-2011, 08:18 AM
I say use jasmine minima. Wedalia is good but it is a noxious weed
Posted via Mobile Device

ProMo
11-09-2011, 08:32 AM
seville or another semi dwarf cultivar would have better shade tolerance.

Ric
11-09-2011, 08:44 AM
seville or another semi dwarf cultivar would have better shade tolerance.

ProMo

I prefer Bitter Blue for shade areas but only because it has the wide Blade and blends nicely with Floratam. But I am assuming these Oaks are there to stay and will only create more shade as the years go by. Therefore I believe a shade loving Ground Cover would offer a longer term solution.

It May be possible to seed Rye or even Fescue under the Oaks in the winter. But come spring they are gone and the rainy season of summer is when you need erosion control.