PDA

View Full Version : Insect repellent Plants an other stinkers

Ric
11-09-2011, 09:36 AM

What are some stinky plants??????

I had a strange Request from an older customer. They are seeking Smelly Plants of all kinds. My first reaction was Night Blooming Jasmine since I personally hate that smell. But Night Blooming jasmine draws in Bugs.

Society Garlic and Confederate Jasmine also come to mind. But my sense of smell has never been great so I need some help listing plants that stink either good or bad smells.

Florida Gardener
11-09-2011, 10:12 AM
There's this vine at one of my customers neighbors that has a bad odor...maybe Rangoon creeper??
Posted via Mobile Device

gunsnroses
11-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Check out scented geraniums....many to choose from
Moon flower....best smell on earth
chocolate flower...yellow with black center, I can find a link if you need
camelion plant - houttuynia - stinkest pile of crap ever---can be invasive
pineapple mint, chocolate mint...orange...many mints
tons of smelly sage
lavender, rosemary
santolina
lemon grass
hyssop
eucalyptos

gunsnroses
11-09-2011, 11:14 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citronella_plant

this is one of the scented geraniums...for your insect repeller

Keith
11-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Skunk vine stinks, but I don't imagine they want that :D

Lantana smells. Nandina can smell like cat piss at times. Some viburnum have a strong smell. Add marigolds to the list of small plants. People plant them around their veggies to keep bugs away.

zturncutter
11-09-2011, 07:14 PM

What are some stinky plants??????

I had a strange Request from an older customer. They are seeking Smelly Plants of all kinds. My first reaction was Night Blooming Jasmine since I personally hate that smell. But Night Blooming jasmine draws in Bugs.

Society Garlic and Confederate Jasmine also come to mind. But my sense of smell has never been great so I need some help listing plants that stink either good or bad smells.

Just picked up 75 Society Garlic for a site that has a very abundant deer population, they won't touch it. My hands are still stinking from handling it and I have washed them several times.

Landscape Poet
11-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Not really stinky I guess it is point of view but if they are wanting to keep pest away how about tobacco plants?
Henbit - is general pesticide plant
Catnip - is suppose to repel ants.

If smelly is all they care about how about sweet almond shrubs - I enjoy this one as it is a sweet yet light scent.

As far as pest repellent i think if we new what pest in general that may help answer the right choice in plant material.

Here is a link that has some of the companion plants that also list the pest to help lower the population.

http://www.naturalyards.com/help/question/deterrent_plants

greenpoint
11-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Wax myrtles are natural mosquito repellents...