PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting into vegetable gardens

ReddensLawnCare
11-09-2011, 02:19 PM
So guys, I want some advice. Over the past few years, there has been a substantial increase in sales of vegetable plants to homeowners through outlets such as Lowes, HD, True value, and small nurserys. I would assume that is because people are becomming upset with all the issues of ecoli, tomatoes being sprayed with co2, and just the fact that vegies are getting so expensive. With that in mind, I am thinking of getting into installing vegetable gardens in the late winter, and offering plantings in the spring time.
By offering the service at that time of year, I will not be overwhelmed with trying to do garden installs and mowings at the same time during heavy spring growth. I have all of the tools needed and a pretty decent knowledge of vegetable garden health, which I will learn more about if I decide to do this

My Plan:
1. Order around 1000 fliers to put out offering this service to be completed by the beginning of March. I will offer different types of beds, raised, in ground, or combination. I will also install minor irrigation if needed as well.
2. When I do the work for the customer, I will give them a price to have certain plants planted, and a time frame to have it done by based on last frost. They will not be obligated to have me plant.
3. Offer soil ammendments, fertilizer, or tilling to new or existing beds.
4. Put customers on an emailer that will contact them when it is time to plant, fertilze, or remove for the season to start winter plants.

I have all of the tools needed to do this, so I am hoping I can make some extra income for the off season to go ontop of my contracts. I hate this question, but what do think someone is willing to pay in the Charlotte area for anyone on here from charlotte or surrounding. I know my costs, and what I need to charge to make money, but I dont want to put a lot of time into planning this and getting fliers put out if it wont return much interest.
Thanks guys:rolleyes:

Dr.NewEarth
11-09-2011, 04:55 PM
I took a course on this topic. People around here want eco-friendly food gardening.Not a bunch of chemicals and fertilizers. They want healthy and natural food grown. Quality seeds, proper plant companion combinations

Search about how to make the soil healthy, compost and compost teas.

ReddensLawnCare
11-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Bump for any other ideas

StihlMechanic
11-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Great ideas but I doubt there is much money to be made.

ReddensLawnCare
11-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Thats kind of my thoughts on it. I might just market a small area and see what come up. I like to stay busy, and like mentioned earlier, it will supplemnent my off season contracts

agrostis
11-13-2011, 10:21 PM
I might be wrong about this but i don't think people will pay much for vegetable gardens around here. I do think that people need help with all aspects of growing things but they are stubborn and frugal when it comes to gardens. It might not matter to them how much you can help out. Someone who has trouble moving around might be a good customer for this. But i really don't know.

larryinalabama
11-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Grow your own garden and sell the veggies

Darryl G
11-13-2011, 10:47 PM
I can't see it...just too costly for what they would get. Can you even grow veggies in that clay you have down there? lol

ReddensLawnCare
11-13-2011, 11:09 PM
I can't see it...just too costly for what they would get. Can you even grow veggies in that clay you have down there? lol

Thats just it, not to good..i dont really care about planting the veggies, rather conditioning the soil and developing a working bed in an area of their property

dKoester
11-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Grow your own garden and sell the veggies

I second this motion! Get your land certified organic. People will pay for better quality produce. Also you can prove it using a brix test.