PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a 2001 Toro Z150

09daxman
11-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Hello all,
Just thought I would start out by saying hello. And now on to my problems. I bought this 2001 toro z150 with a 20hp kohler with a 52 inch deck off of craigslist from an older gentlemen. I never drove a zturn before and I went and checked it out. Seem to ride fine and cut good but I really didnt know alot about zturns. It was in good shape and everything so I bought it. And well that bit me in the ass good, cause well he said he does his own oil changes and that when he does do it when he takes off the oil filter it makes a mess on the frame of the rider. I looked and it seems like it would make a decent mess. So I really didnt think to much about the oil residue on the frame of the rider. But when I got it home I degreased it and then went out and cut my grass and learn how to opperate a zturn(alot harder then I thought it would be by the way), anyway when I was done I was looking over the rider and noticed there was oil there again and I was like WTF. So I took a better look at it and saw it pooling up right by the valve cover. So I took off the valve cover and noticed that the gasket was pretty hard, and that the valve cover was cracked on the corners. So I got new covers(they had an updated valve cover, so I figured it was a commen problem) and gaskets gave it a tune up, degreased it once again and mowed my neighbors lawn. Come back look it over and its still leaking!! So I degrease it again and watch it as its running to see where its coming from. And well im about 99.99% sure it has a cracked head, but im going to put some dye in the oil and watch it again. Anyway on to my question, the motor has 2100 hours on it, should I just replace the engine or should I buy a new head and slap it on? I am a mechanic so I know how to work on engines, granted that doesnt mean I know everything but I think it would be a good learning experiance for me.

My second question is where can I get a bagger for it? I really dont wanna make my own cause well I just dont wanna mess around with that and after doing some reading on people making thier own it seems like its well worth the money to just get a bagger made for it. Yes I know its older, but im sure someone still sells or is selling a used one or something. Anyway thanks for your help

Jeff

StihlMechanic
11-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Some of these kohler commands had the wrong head bolts installed at factory, not to say this is the issue. If you buy a head gasket it will come with new bolts that need to be torqued correctly. First try to tighten the bolts.

09daxman
11-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Really? Hmm good to know! Do you know what the torque spec is on them? Thank you for the info.
Posted via Mobile Device

StihlMechanic
11-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Really? Hmm good to know! Do you know what the torque spec is on them? Thank you for the info.
Posted via Mobile Device

Off the top of my head, no. Go to Kohler.com, go to the engine site, then to service manuals. Download the PDF for your model CH20 engine. It will have the specs.

09daxman
11-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Awesome, thank you very much!
Posted via Mobile Device

09daxman
11-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Well its confirmed, I have a cracked head on the right side of the motor. I brought some dye home with me from work, along with the glasses and special light to see it. I put it in my oil, and turned it on, found the leak. So now I need a new head or motor. Anyone know where I can get parts for a decent price? I would like to see how much it is for a head and headgasket and then see how much a new motor is. Then go from there and see what I want to do.

Also anyone know where I can get a bagger for this Zturn?

PR Fect
11-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Jeff we run the same machine. Ours is an 02 with a CV23 Kohler. we have 1200 hours on it. If it had 2100 hours and never had any work done on it, I would be looking at getting a replacement engine. If the hydro pumps and motors have not been changed out you can expect that any time. We just lost one motor last month. As far as the bagger goes we run the DFS system that was made by TORO for that machine. We are less than pleased with it. We replace pulley bearings on that bager every season. If I was to get another bagging system I would look for the deck mounted blower, that you need to empty by hand. Also it takes all of our 23HP to run that bagger. I wonder how an 20 HP would perform. Especially with 2100 hours. Its a good thing you are a mechanic, it would be to costly to own that old of a machine with that many hours, and rely on a shop for repairs. If I can ask, what did you need to pay for it?

09daxman
11-13-2011, 02:54 AM
Jeff we run the same machine. Ours is an 02 with a CV23 Kohler. we have 1200 hours on it. If it had 2100 hours and never had any work done on it, I would be looking at getting a replacement engine. If the hydro pumps and motors have not been changed out you can expect that any time. We just lost one motor last month. As far as the bagger goes we run the DFS system that was made by TORO for that machine. We are less than pleased with it. We replace pulley bearings on that bager every season. If I was to get another bagging system I would look for the deck mounted blower, that you need to empty by hand. Also it takes all of our 23HP to run that bagger. I wonder how an 20 HP would perform. Especially with 2100 hours. Its a good thing you are a mechanic, it would be to costly to own that old of a machine with that many hours, and rely on a shop for repairs. If I can ask, what did you need to pay for it?

Uh oh, thats def not what I wanted to hear. But what where some of the signs of the pump/motor going out on you? My right side is very touchy, and jumpy. Do you know if I can go buy a bagger from a toro dealer? How long ago did you buy your bagger? Any other complants of the bagger besides the pulley bearings? Thats not good to hear that it takes all of your 23hp, because my main account (my moms) has ALOT of STEEP hills.... Ya it comes in handy every now and then on how to work on stuff haha. But im affraid to tell you how much I paid for it, but I will anyway. I paid 2200 for it, I thought it drove pretty good, but seeing how I had no idea what zturns are suppost to be like, I was wrong haha.

Maybe I should just slap a new head on and then go trade it in. A local john deere, exmark dealer is selling a JD 757 25hp kawa 60 inch mulch on demand with 171 hours on it for 5895, and they said a bagger would be about 1800 bucks more. Seems a little high, but I really dont know. Anyone have experiance with this mower?

PR Fect
11-13-2011, 11:38 PM
If you have one side that is touchy or jumpy I would first guess that it is the damper rod that connects the control arm to the pump. They cost a mint (around $45.00) and they go out around every 250 hours. If you lose a pump or a motor you will know it. My point was that I just think that 2100 hours is allot on a z-mower. Some may disagree. I would think you can still get a new bagger for that mower. TORO just changed from the SFS deck two years ago. Plus there are some after market bagging systems made to fit many different machines.

09daxman
11-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Ok, I will see what I want to do about this machine. I just might trade it in on something else after I fix the head. Do you know where I can try and look for a bagging system for this?