PDA

View Full Version : Soft tubing cutters

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Any opinions? Does that blade make sense? I guess it cuts into the pipe without squeezing it. Can cut up to 1 5/8" OD

http://www.mccusainc.com/Tools/Tubing-Cutter.htm

Wet_Boots
11-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Not worth even an extra nickel - in poly land, a generic Kwik-Cut is fine

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-10-2011, 02:24 PM
My thought as well. Turn while you cut makes up for the angle blade.

Wet_Boots
11-10-2011, 02:41 PM
When the blade is brand-new sharp, you don't even have to turn the cutter.

jvanvliet
11-10-2011, 04:13 PM
It'll work fine, get the one that ratchets (good to have for SCD 40 too) and gently squeeze while rocking the cutter back and forth to avoid pinching the poly.

If you have a Kwik Cut, you don't need this but you'll want one for rigid pipe.

Rotor_Tool
11-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Not worth even an extra nickel - in poly land, a generic Kwik-Cut is fine

My thoughts exactly. I have never had luck with the ratcheting cutters, the always seem to fall apart at the ratcheting mechanism.
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-16-2011, 02:02 PM
My thoughts exactly. I have never had luck with the ratcheting cutters, the always seem to fall apart at the ratcheting mechanism.
Posted via Mobile Device

Any brands to mention? Victors or cheap chinese ones from home depot?
I'll send you one to check out. I owe you for the ESPSMT you sent me. PM me if you want with your address.

Wet_Boots
11-16-2011, 02:06 PM
One reason I like Wheeler ratchet cutters, is that they are the prototype the cheap cutters are patterned upon, which means you can get most any repair part from one of the cheapo knockoffs.

jvanvliet
11-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I've had ratcheting cutters for years, only thing I've changed is the blade.

Wet_Boots
11-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Never even the springs?

irrig8r
11-16-2011, 06:50 PM
I own four Victors. The blades are more brittle than the MCC and don't stay sharp as long. I prefer the MCC for PVC.

Yesterday I was making cuts through vertical 1" SCH 80 TOE nipples to remove a jar-top Richdel A/S that was leaking and replace it with a Rain Bird ASVF with a minimum of fuss (two sxs couplings.)

The Victors were harder to fit between the other valves and the blade didn't cut as well. Switched to the MCC... smoother ratcheting, and cut like a hot knife through butter.

irritation
11-16-2011, 06:55 PM
I use my pipe saw to cut swing pipe.

irrig8r
11-16-2011, 06:57 PM
I use my pipe saw to cut swing pipe.

I use my Felcos to cut swing pipe and drip tubing :-)

irritation
11-16-2011, 07:00 PM
I use my Felcos

I have no use for them.:)

Mike Leary
11-16-2011, 07:12 PM

Me too. Ridgid makes the best wheel cutters for copper/pvc with interchangeable wheels.

ridgid.com

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-16-2011, 09:48 PM
I own four Victors. The blades are more brittle than the MCC and don't stay sharp as long. I prefer the MCC for PVC.

Yesterday I was making cuts through vertical 1" SCH 80 TOE nipples to remove a jar-top Richdel A/S that was leaking and replace it with a Rain Bird ASVF with a minimum of fuss (two sxs couplings.)

The Victors were harder to fit between the other valves and the blade didn't cut as well. Switched to the MCC... smoother ratcheting, and cut like a hot knife through butter.

This post gets a LIKE from me.

Kiril
11-16-2011, 10:01 PM

.......... Ditto.

GreenI.A.
11-16-2011, 10:07 PM
I like the ratchetting kwikcuts. You just have to watch about constantly dropping them in dirt or they'll start to stick closed on you

Rotor_Tool
11-17-2011, 12:54 AM
Any brands to mention? Victors or cheap chinese ones from home depot?
I'll send you one to check out. I owe you for the ESPSMT you sent me. PM me if you want with your address.

Not sure of the brand, haven't tried any for a few years though the last pair I had came from a supply house. I believe they were yellow...how's that for a vague description? I will PM you...I am back out West now, couldn't do another Chicago winter!
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
11-17-2011, 05:53 AM
Never even the springs?

The small spring in the bottom? Not yet.

Mike Leary
11-17-2011, 05:58 PM
I own four Victors.

I liked Victors, and used them for years, pricey little replacement blades, tho.
We would switch to a Makita or like recip-saws, or when we had power, a chop-saw with a thin-kerf blade when the weather got too chilly, as the clippers would crack the sch 40. Used a Ridgid reamer to trim the cuts and tried my best to keep the shavings out of the new system, which proved to be nigh impossible until I could flush in the spring, and even then, those little dears would find their way into a solenoid port. :cry: