PDA

View Full Version : Fall clean-ups for customers

joee0914
11-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Who here does leaf clean-ups for customers before every cut? I currently just blow the beds and walks of leaves onto grassy areas than cut them into the grass. Looks really shitty and just wanna hear what you guys do with your customers?

I was thinking about adding either a weekly or bi-weekly clean-up option? Any opinions?

ralph02813
11-10-2011, 05:16 PM
mow in a circle blowing toward the center of the yard, last couple of rows pick up the mulched leaves.

A+Grounds
11-10-2011, 06:19 PM
do at decent clean up, get most of the leaves out of the bed, whenever the grass needs it. then blow the leaves in the woods or suck them up

GoPokes
11-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I did 3 today, all neighbors. There was a TON of leaves at each property. Like ralph said, I usually will mow in a circle and rake em, but there was too many today. I charged each customer for my extra time and we blew 90% of all leaves into the woods before we mowed. Then just mowed normally. It worked great.

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
11-10-2011, 09:52 PM
I send out a 'fall clean up' letter to all of my regular customers near the end of September stating that I will take care of leaves, sticks, and other debris from their lawn and landscape when I come to mow until the leaves have finished falling or snow starts. I include in this letter the seperate price for fall clean up. Each week in the fall I get to customer's lawns and blow out the beds and if there are alot of leaves I blow them onto a tarp and drag to the street and mulch remaining leaves with the mower into the lawn.

weeze
11-10-2011, 10:34 PM
it depends on the yard...i did one where i just went forwards and backwards blowing all the leaves into the woods while cutting and others i blow the leaves out of the beds into the yard and then cut them up while i cut the grass.

Five Points
11-10-2011, 11:57 PM
I send out a 'fall clean up' letter to all of my regular customers near the end of September stating that I will take care of leaves, sticks, and other debris from their lawn and landscape when I come to mow until the leaves have finished falling or snow starts. I include in this letter the seperate price for fall clean up. Each week in the fall I get to customer's lawns and blow out the beds and if there are alot of leaves I blow them onto a tarp and drag to the street and mulch remaining leaves with the mower into the lawn.

what is the response from your customer's, Does anyone tell you not to come.or that they don't want the extra service. Do you go weekly in oct and or nov. Just curious. Thanks Rob

HRidgeLandscapes
11-11-2011, 12:14 AM
We do a full clean up every 7-10 days on our properties. We blow all the leaves out of the beds and off the lawn and then suck the leaves up and then bag the lawn. If we mulched the leaves up on our customers lawns they would tell us not to come back.

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
11-11-2011, 11:50 AM
@ Rob...I always have a couple customers say that they will do the leaf clean up themselves and I can come mow when needed through the fall, this is usually just one or two customers. This year I had a couple new ones who just bought their home in the spring and they said they would do the clean up themselves...the first little bit of leaves that fell I was getting calls from them saying they understand my price and would like me to go ahead with the clean up...it was too much work for them. The clean ups through the fall are done typically on a bi weekly basis or as needed...many of my yards are very close to one another so I can see if there are alot of leaves down or not.
There are very little leaves left on the yard when I mulch them back into the grass so it isn't even noticeable.

WILLIAMS
11-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

sdk1959
11-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Who here does leaf clean-ups for customers before every cut? I currently just blow the beds and walks of leaves onto grassy areas than cut them into the grass. Looks really shitty and just wanna hear what you guys do with your customers?

I was thinking about adding either a weekly or bi-weekly clean-up option? Any opinions?

If you don't have them already you need a decent set of mulching blades like Gators.

I mulch all my customers, the key is to do it on a regular basis, not wait till the end of the season when the leaves are almost a foot high. The grass has stopped growing in my area so all I'm doing now is leaf mulching. Leaf mulch is not made of plastic so it is not litter and will break down over the winter and early spring amending the soil.

The only areas where the mulched leaves are really visible on any of my customers lawns is where the grass is thin or bare. In those areas I either blow the excess onto the more grassy areas of the lawn or I use a leaf collector and pick them up and bag 'em.

If there is a excessive amount of leaves on the property I will mow in a circle open chute and gather up and bag the excess mulched leaves in the center.

Works for me and my customers. A few of my customers would easily be charged up to $1000 or more if they opted for end of season leaf pick-up and removal. Leaf pick-up and removal is very equipment orientated and labor intensive so those prices are well justified.

bobcat48
11-11-2011, 07:18 PM
I do it weekly with the weekly lawn maintenance blow out all beds,walk,patios and drives and blow it into the lawn around the trees to etc..which i then cut the lawn when i am done 99% of the leaves are gone now that i bag before a couple weeks ago i had a cub cadet 33'' and was mulching and it sucked now it works great i am really happy love bagging i plan to from now on and all next season ha got the scag 36'' with the trailer as a package deal.

Grassmaster9
11-22-2011, 12:27 AM
I always discuss the upcoming leaf season with customers. I prefer to mulch them by putting Gator blades on my Ferris zero turn and mulching them into powder. I will vac them or tarp and haul if necessary. I come to clean up leaves each week just like mowing.