PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chopper

conrod
11-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Hi Guys,
I have a Dixie Chopper XW 2002-60 that I purchased new in 1998. I bought it to mow approx 3 acres when I lived in Ms. I flew r/c helicopters and needed to spend more time flying than mowing :) Presently the mower has 212 hours on it (bought the mini tach too) and sits on a trailer in my garage. This mower has always been kept in a garage. Moving to Florida in 2003 and into a subdivision negates the need for such a mower. I'm thinking of selling it and putting the car in the garage. Yards are so small that when I first moved here, I would weed whack it. Neighbors looked at me kinda funny LOL Got a little push mower because it would fit thru the gate and makes the yard look nicer. What do you think would be a fair asking price for the mower? The emerg. brake does not work and the mower has the web style tires instead of the knobby tires (an upgrade when I bought the mower)
Thanks for your input!

Conrad

rob7233
11-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Wrong area for this on LS plus this appears to be an old post from years ago.

conrod
11-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Sorry for placing the post in the wrong place. This is my first time to sign up for LS, so no previous posts have been made. I"m a newbie :) and will learn where to post properly.
Thanks for pointing this out to me!
Conrad

conrod
11-11-2011, 09:41 AM
trying to delete thread, but no option on "Thread Tools" is allowing me to do it. Should i just try to edit and erase my posts? any help would be appreciated.

Ric
11-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Conrod

Sounds like this might be a good mower with the low hours etc. But two things against it is the Age of the Mower being 13 soon 14 years old and The Down Turn Economy. An other factor to consider is the time of the year. First year failed Cutter are selling off equipment to pay the rent now that grass has slowed down. This just isn't the best time to sell. It is the best time to buy Equipment.

conrod
11-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks Ric for your reply. Yeah..wrong time of year for sure. I was just wanting to get an approximation since it has low hours. I gave around 7500 for it and bought a trailer with drop down gate (all expanded metal mesh) for 800. Used trailer to get mower from dealership to home. I really enjoyed the mower and it did a fine job. I have used the trailer to take the mower to different flying fields for a quick mow :)
Again,
Thanks for your reply.

Conrad
ps. I'm guessing 3200 for the trailer and mower....your thoughts?

Ric
11-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks Ric for your reply. Yeah..wrong time of year for sure. I was just wanting to get an approximation since it has low hours. I gave around 7500 for it and bought a trailer with drop down gate (all expanded metal mesh) for 800. Used trailer to get mower from dealership to home. I really enjoyed the mower and it did a fine job. I have used the trailer to take the mower to different flying fields for a quick mow :)
Again,
Thanks for your reply.

Conrad
ps. I'm guessing 3200 for the trailer and mower....your thoughts?

Conrad

Given the Low Hours and a Trailer the $ 3200 should be a bargain for some one WHO HAS THE CASH. Florida has the Highest unemployment in the nation and it is a Cash Buyers Market. If you are looking for a fast sale, Don't expect to get the true value. If you can wait it out, you should get $ 3200.

PS I don't mow any more. I only do pesticide applications now.

conrod
11-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks Ric.
I was thinking the same. It IS tough around here. I'm in construction and everybody is starving.

Landscape Poet
11-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Conrod,

First welcome to lawnsite. Second give details about the trailer. I am not a Dixie Fan myself but if the total package is correct we might be able to come to an agreement as I am thinking of adding another trailer/truck this coming year.

Pictures of the trailer and mower along with specifics about the engine brand and size in HP will help not only myself but others that may be interested in it with the details.

Thanks,

Michael

unkownfl
11-11-2011, 10:21 PM
$3200 is kinda high for an old dixie. 60" cut is another down fall too. As you noticed its pretty big for most lawns here. I'd say around 2k for the mower. A mesh bottom trailer is only like 700 new. I understand the low hours but age is just as bad on stuff as hours. A lot of rubber and parts that just aren't common anymore.

Landscape Poet
11-11-2011, 10:55 PM
. A lot of rubber and parts that just aren't common anymore.

Parts and the uncertainty of the companies future would be my concern...but yes in the real world I would think the price is a little stout...but you never know for until the engine etc is given. 60 can be idea for commercial or larger estates but yes has a limited market - especially in Windermere were you are at - a majority of the lots are really really small.

Keith
11-12-2011, 12:25 AM
If the mower is as you describe, $3200 seems like a good deal for the mower and trailer.

Ric
11-12-2011, 09:07 AM
$3200 is kinda high for an old dixie. 60" cut is another down fall too. As you noticed its pretty big for most lawns here. I'd say around 2k for the mower. A mesh bottom trailer is only like 700 new. I understand the low hours but age is just as bad on stuff as hours. A lot of rubber and parts that just aren't common anymore.

Unknown

I agree after 10 years, parts become a problem and This mower can be subject to down time while hunting down parts. But if your yards average 2 to 5 K this is not the mower for you. The 60 inch chopper was designed as a mow & go machine on large properties. As the seller said he bought it to cut 3 acres not 3 thousand sq ft. Why beat up on a guy trying to pay the rent if the machine doesn't fit your needs??

Is this set up worth $ 3200 ??? Maybe. Will it sell for for $ 3200 this time of year in this economy?? Unfortunately Not. Those experienced businessmen who have the cash money are looking for Newer models with Service centers. Those start up guys don't have the cash money.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
12-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Unknown

I agree after 10 years, parts become a problem and This mower can be subject to down time while hunting down parts. .

Its a 98 parts are easy to find You get parts for a newer one and will fit on the 98 DC didnt change much between 98 to 2005 reson I know this is I have a 95 and a 2005 the parts interchange One thing about DC They found a design that works and never changed it
That good far price on that DC if you was near me I might buy it