PDA

View Full Version : Lawncare vs. Landscaper vs.Lawnmaintenance vs. Grasscutter

jsslawncare
11-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Landscaping refers to any activity that modifies the visible features of an area of land, including:
1.living elements, such as flora or fauna; or what is commonly referred to as gardening, the art and craft of growing plants with a goal of creating a beautiful environment within the landscape.
2.natural elements such as landforms, terrain shape and elevation, or bodies of water;
3.human elements such as structures, buildings, fences or other material objects created and/or installed by humans; and
4.abstract elements such as the weather and lighting conditions

From Wikipedia

My Mom introduced me to one of her friends as a landscaper and she said "oh. really? My husband is too." I said "Well mom, I really am just a grass cutter". The woman had a funny look on her face. I guess her husband is a grass cutter too. I guess it seams some people try to fancy up or seam more important.
I must fall under number 1. as a grass cutter.
I guess my question is what are your thoughts about the different names in the title

GreenI.A.
11-12-2011, 10:34 PM
What i picture when I here the different titles.

grass Cutter - Mow and go, fly by night comany
Lawn Maintnence - Step above a grass cutter, more reputable company, full weekly maintenance programs, offers some add on services such as sring/fall clean ups
Landscaper - Offers more services over just maintneance, or is full service, pruning, soft scaping, lawn installs, maybe hardscaping as well.
Lawn Care/Lawn Service - not a landscaper, does fertilizing, chemical controls, installs lawns, areations

PR Fect
11-13-2011, 12:21 AM
What i picture when I here the different titles.

grass Cutter - Mow and go, fly by night comany
Lawn Maintnence - Step above a grass cutter, more reputable company, full weekly maintenance programs, offers some add on services such as sring/fall clean ups
Landscaper - Offers more services over just maintneance, or is full service, pruning, soft scaping, lawn installs, maybe hardscaping as well.
Lawn Care/Lawn Service - not a landscaper, does fertilizing, chemical controls, installs lawns, areations

Agreed, we call ourselves an LCO's. Lawn care operators. Our name includes Lawn Service. When people ask us what we do, I tell them everything except installs. Then they look at me like I'm from outer space, and I tell them we are not landscapers, we just maintain and care for what landscapers installed. Then most of the time the next questions is if I can do some tree work for them. I say yes If it does not require an Arborest....:rolleyes:

PlantscapeSolutions
11-13-2011, 01:06 AM
If you have a decent head on your shoulders you should aspire to be a landscaper. To me a "Grass Guy" is someone not smart enough to do much else. Why should you just cut grass and let others do the profitable landscape application, landscaping, landscape lighting, holiday lighting, arborist work, and other work that requires expertise.

Grass guys are a dime a dozen and easily replaced. You need to be an expert in your trade and be a valued contractor your customer knows they can't easily replace. Why work at 100 properties and have twice as many clients to keep happy when you can be diverse and generate the same amount of revenue working on 50 properties or less. The real money is in high end residential but you have to be an expert to work in this realm.

I've made thousands of dollars in a single day on a decent landscape job. You have to have your guys mow a lot of yards to pull down a few grand. Why work yourself to death for a few bucks when you can work less and make more?

ClinesLawncare
11-13-2011, 01:50 AM
I disagree with that comment. Its damn near impossiable to find a guy to put on a mower here. Majority of people say they have expeirence mowing then you let them on a mower and you see them go down the street holding on for there life. After you have explained to them all the scenerios that could happen and what to do if this or that happens. Dime and dozen? Im not willing to throw away $7000 on a mower. You cant find good help thats why I mow solo. I worked for a guy for 7 years and watched his business grow rapidly. Since Ive left hes been through 9 guys in 2 years. Now he subs yards out to me. Id love to hire an employee you can get so much more done, but making clients happy is more important than irresponsible employee. Just my oppinion it would be nice to find that good help. Maybe Im too passionate about the work I put out.

Patriot Services
11-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Around here everybody claims to be a landscaper but just wants to mow. I gained more business this year from guys that ran when asked to trim a hedge. IMO grasscutters are at best the entry level to this field.
Posted via Mobile Device

David Haggerty
11-13-2011, 07:27 AM
I agree with Cline, a mower operator is an equipment operator and needs to be skilled and experienced, like a backhoe operator. They just can't do as much damage as an inexperienced backhoe operator.
I've been running mowers so long I can tell by the smell wheather it's an engine belt slipping or a deck belt burning up. The deck belt will have more of a burning grass smell.
Got to agree with Plantscapes too. It seem like everybody thinks mowing is an entry level job. When it's the most important aspect of lawn care.
If the lawn doesn't look good...nothing looks good.

But what do customers do when they want to purdy up the landscape? Hire some "landscaper" to plant a wad of exotic plants. How about a little weed&feed for the lawn? Drives me nuts!!

I sell myself as a "Groundskeeper". When a customer wants to blow the maintenance budget on a lot of "improvements" I get in their face with "HEY! how about maintaining what you have?" I try to influence everything that goes on outside and half of what goes on inside.

Just had a customer that landscaped a new entrance for their showroom. The landscaper installed some of those little friggin' landscape mounds that'll have to be mowed with a push mower! That'll cost 'em an extra $25/week till the end of time! Was I consulted? Noooo.....

OK I'm done with my rant.

jsslawncare
11-13-2011, 08:10 AM
So, it look's like we are a conbination of all but not limited to one? So, why don't we call our selve's Ground's Keeper's

JSS Ground's Keeper

Patriot Services
11-13-2011, 08:51 AM
So, it look's like we are a conbination of all but not limited to one? So, why don't we call our selve's Ground's Keeper's

JSS Ground's Keeper

Your average customer would equate that with golf courses or a private estate. Customers generally refer to us as "the lawn service".
Posted via Mobile Device

tyler_mott85
11-13-2011, 09:38 AM
A lot of people think that getting into "cutting grass" is the easiest part of this industry. Simply because it has the least amount of equipment. I disagree. Why buy a push mower, trimmer and a blower and have to get a truck ( I realize you see guys with pushmowers in minivans and cars) when you can just buy some gloves, hand snips, a trash bag, a shovel and a garden hose and you can be a gardener.

I am astonished by the prices some of my customers pay their "gardeners" to come do what I do for the rest of my customers. Now I can see calling yourself a gardener if you have thoroughly been educated in different plants. I know most companies, including myself, when asked to trim bushes, go at them with hedge trimmers and just make them into a certain shape. What a gardener would do in my mind is know when the proper time to trim every species and would trim with hand pruners. I have seen some landscapes that have all the bushes still look like smaller bushes maybe 3 or 4 years in the ground but are actually 15 or 20 years old. Just from the way they're trimmed. I hope to do more of this and establish landscape maintenance schedules instead of just having a customer ask me to trim their bushes and I do everything at once.

A gardener in my mind is someone who maintains landscapes, including planted pots and fish ponds even.

A landscaper is someone who designs and installs said landscapes including hardscapes

Someone who has "lawn care" in their name is performing fertilizing and pesticide applications.

Of course what's in your name does't have to limit you to what you do. But there is a certain way that customers think about your names.

I just left my to Mott Lawns to point to that I do everything lawns. But I also offer landscape maintenance and residential snow removal services but thats up to me to market to the masses.

White Gardens
11-13-2011, 12:45 PM
A lot of people think that getting into "cutting grass" is the easiest part of this industry. Simply because it has the least amount of equipment. I disagree. Why buy a push mower, trimmer and a blower and have to get a truck ( I realize you see guys with pushmowers in minivans and cars) when you can just buy some gloves, hand snips, a trash bag, a shovel and a garden hose and you can be a gardener.

I am astonished by the prices some of my customers pay their "gardeners" to come do what I do for the rest of my customers. Now I can see calling yourself a gardener if you have thoroughly been educated in different plants. I know most companies, including myself, when asked to trim bushes, go at them with hedge trimmers and just make them into a certain shape. What a gardener would do in my mind is know when the proper time to trim every species and would trim with hand pruners. I have seen some landscapes that have all the bushes still look like smaller bushes maybe 3 or 4 years in the ground but are actually 15 or 20 years old. Just from the way they're trimmed. I hope to do more of this and establish landscape maintenance schedules instead of just having a customer ask me to trim their bushes and I do everything at once.

A gardener in my mind is someone who maintains landscapes, including planted pots and fish ponds even.

A landscaper is someone who designs and installs said landscapes including hardscapes

Someone who has "lawn care" in their name is performing fertilizing and pesticide applications.

Of course what's in your name does't have to limit you to what you do. But there is a certain way that customers think about your names.

I just left my to Mott Lawns to point to that I do everything lawns. But I also offer landscape maintenance and residential snow removal services but thats up to me to market to the masses.

Great post, and pretty much exactly what I was thinking when I saw this thread.

The big point I agree on is the mowing angle. Even if I don't gross as much per hour as a high production mow company, I still feel I profit more per hour with low over-head.

Two things I started out with equipment wise was an S-10, and a small 8x8 motorcycle trailer. And guess what, 6 years later and I still own those two pieces of equipment for landscape maintenance.

Even on the installation side of my biz, I bought a larger dump truck/trailer/and mini skid steer, but even then it still feels cheaper than going out and buying a landscape trailer and multiple mowers and equipment to equal the same amount of gross sales as a mow company would.

And I attribute all of this to the name of my biz.

GreenI.A.
11-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Of course what's in your name does't have to limit you to what you do. But there is a certain way that customers think about your name.

thats exactly why none of those titles are in my name
Posted via Mobile Device