PDA

View Full Version : backpack blowers and ethanol

A+Grounds
11-13-2011, 06:35 PM
every time at about this year the gas stations crank up the ethanol and one of my redmax ebz8001s suffer from it. throughout the year this backpack does not have the same power as my other 8001 and am looking to replace it. yes i have checked pure gas.com and there is no stations around me. i have tried shell, bp and mobil (local gas stations) 93 or higher octane and all of them make this 8001 run like crap. it has had a carb rebuild on it so the blower itself is fine.what is the most powerful backpack blower out there that is the least susceptible to reacting to ethanol.

Patriot Services
11-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Have you tried Ethanol Shield or one of the additives on the market?
Posted via Mobile Device

A+Grounds
11-13-2011, 07:15 PM
i have tried sta-bil it had no effect on the troublesome 8001 and made the good 8001 run bad. these damn 8001s are temperamental if they weren't so powerful i wouldn't own them

Ridin' Green
11-13-2011, 07:15 PM
I have yet to have a problem from ethanol in any of my machines, whether it be the riders or handhelds, and that covers my entire lifetime, not just recently.

As far as your question, maybe you need to try a different oil in your mix.

I know there are other types of oils on the market, and like everything else brought up on this site, everyone has their favorite that they swear is the best. I can't say that mine is best, but since I have been using Stihl HP Ultra full synthetic oil in my machines, I have never had any problems, and the ones that were a little harder to start (as in new from the dealer) before I switched over are now easier to start as well. I run 93 octane minimum always, and about every fourth tankful run either Seafoam, or Star-Tron through them. Those additives really seemed to make a difference in how easy my old Stihl SH85 starts when compared to before.

Both my BR600M and my Husky 570 BTS (same exact blower as a RM EBZ7500) are more poweful than your 8001, and both start and run great. In fact, though the numbers favor the Husky, the Stihl is fully equal in top end performance, and actually a bit better all around, and it scoures the ground a bit better.

Patriot Services
11-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Ridin does make a valid point. It might be the way ethanol effects the oil you use. Being a solvent it can wreak havoc with the mix. I just hate to see you spend big money on a new blower to solve a fuel problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

A+Grounds
11-13-2011, 07:36 PM
riding now that you mention it ever since i switched from stihls standard oil to amsoil problems have started, ill try some synthetic stihl oil and pray it works.

Ridin' Green
11-13-2011, 08:00 PM
riding now that you mention it ever since i switched from stihls standard oil to amsoil problems have started, ill try some synthetic stihl oil and pray it works.

It may take a tank ot two, but it may actually solve your problem, and like Patriot Services mentioned, it'd be a shame to get rid of a good BP just because of a fuel problem.

A+Grounds
11-13-2011, 08:10 PM
true id hate to get rid of a good 8001

cpllawncare
11-13-2011, 10:06 PM
I had probems with my stihl Blower until I switched to the stihl premium synthetic oil and 93 gas.

jetta
11-14-2011, 09:09 AM
amsoil is also synthetic

ed2hess
11-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Give Red Armour from shindwawa ....it is supposed to now be the best to use with corn gas. I don't see any significant affect on echo 2 stroke equpment but I don't use those high octane gas. I see a little gooo in the filter but guess that is corn gas eating the inside of the tank and the groments and lines but no big deal.

A+Grounds
11-14-2011, 10:19 PM
bought a new ebz8500 today, selling the ebz8001 (never ran at full throttle) it was quite old too so i was looking to upgrade anyways. read up on the manual redmax's oil is a fd grade oil not fc grade my amsoil is (ill just go with redmax oil for a redmax blower this is going to rule out ANY fuel oil problems) checked with my local shell and bp. right now the bp is running winter blend fuel and it is 9-10% did not get a number from shell they will tell me tomorrow. redmax says anything 10 and lower ethanol % is recommended so i just got some bp. I'm doing exactly what redmax recommends so i shouldn't have any problems.... hopefully (:

jetta
11-15-2011, 09:19 AM
to find no corn gas try looking at your local street rod web site, thats where i find mine.

Patriot Services
11-15-2011, 03:47 PM
I'd wait until spring to sell the 8001. Some noob startup will pay top buck for a real blower like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

A+Grounds
11-15-2011, 04:08 PM
what i was planning on doing patriot

metro36
11-15-2011, 10:13 PM
I had issues a few years ago until I started customizing my own mix. I start with the right amount of echo powerblend oil for 2.5 gallons of mix, add an ounce of marine stabil, and 2.5 ounces of seafoam. I run this in all my two strokes. I run seafoam and marine stabil monthly in my main mowers and every fillup on machines that run less than once a week.

douglee25
11-17-2011, 10:52 AM
FYI - Higher octane gas than recommended by the OEM will actually cause harder starting with your equipment. Higher octane fuel by it's very nature is harder to combust and thus the less chance for preignition and detonation.

I'm betting your problems are carb related and oil related. Disassemble the carb and clean with some carb cleaner. Then reassemble and dump out your old fuel. Put in some new fuel with a 2 cycle oil that is manufacturered by one of the OEM's, not something you just purchase off the shelf.

Doug

ralph02813
12-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I have had no problems with anything, I use redmax oil and regular gas