PDA

View Full Version : Best equipment for new business?

Lawn Solutions
11-15-2002, 05:46 PM
I'm new to this site but can tell most of you have the experience to know what you are talking about so I'm looking for some free
advice...

I'm starting a new fertilizer/pesticide/aerating business in 2003
and would like to know what's the best equipment for the money (I want to buy the right stuff from the get go!).

1) walk-behind spreader
2) Aerator (walk-behind or riding?)
3) Spray tank/pump for pickup
4) Lesco Products? (fertilizer, incecticides, etc..)

I don't plan on providing mowing services initially. I have an ag
background but the lawn business is a little different. I plan on
purchasing a 150 gal. skid tank with Honda engine, electric reel,
thru a local ag spray company but would like to know what you
folks use.

I'm sure you have had these questions before, but appreciate any help!

1grnlwn
11-15-2002, 06:14 PM
Where in Midwest?

Mark

Lawn Solutions
11-15-2002, 07:18 PM
Topeka to Kansas City, KS

f350
11-15-2002, 07:19 PM
dont be a scrub!!!!

we do this to scrubs

1grnlwn
11-15-2002, 07:27 PM
Welcome to LS.

Lesco Wb spreader. Can't go wrong
Ryan is good aerator lot of aerator mfgs out there anymore They all found out what ridiculous price ryan was getting .
Any skid sprayer with hypro diaphram pump, honda engine electric reel. Size of pump and hose is dependant on whether you will spray trees.
Material you can start at lesco, but once you get some volume (1 pallet or more) other suppliers will offer similar prod at bettter prices. Mine even delivers to my shop.

Mark

Lawn Solutions
11-17-2002, 08:14 PM
Thanks!

My ag sprayer supplier also mentioned a ni resistant rolling pump,
although I don't plan on spraying on nitrogen. He said it last much longer. I'll definitly check out Lesco and Ryan.

After pricing insurance I definitly won't be giving my services away!

I've had a chance to read more posts on this site and have learned a hell of alot more than from my local connections...

Tim

PaulJ
11-18-2002, 12:18 AM
Lawn solutions

Welcome, I lived in Manhattan about 4 years- so I was'nt too far from you.

I don't know about your lesco dealer but the one in Lincoln NE is great. They can help with whatever questions you have. I Think you can't go wrong with a Lesco spreader. They sell the ride-on ones also. They sell an aerator that has "split-drive" like Classen. Bluebird also makes a good aerator. I think it turns easier than the ryan, but not quite as nice as the classen.
I don't know about tank sprayers. I just use the backpack and a push sprayer, but my main thing is mowing, not spraying.

You should find that the Ag background is a big help, from calibrating equip, equip maintanence, and just backing up trailers.

Good luck:D

Lawn Solutions
11-18-2002, 10:13 AM
You moved from Wildcat country to Husker country PaulJ:confused:

I don't know much about aerators but they look like a lot of money to fix...I rarely see anyone aerating their lawns around here so I think with a little advertising there would be a market

My closest Lesco dealer is in KC but I'll keep Lincoln in mind because I go up to that area quite often...My brother who farms always did all of our spaying so he keeps up on the latest info.
I think I can get a good deal on spray set-up and will let you all know what I here from the dealer.

philk17088
11-19-2002, 11:07 PM
I'm using the Lesco space saver 200 gal sprayers and love 'em! I also use their push spreaders. The best advice on materials is shop around and tell suppliers if you can get a better deal, they will work with you. If you can pay on delivery, my supp;iers offer a discount for that. Good luck!

KLR
11-19-2002, 11:30 PM
regardless of what make aerator you go with, be sure to get a 'split drive' machine. it will make the job much easier.

i agree with the other comments about product, shop around and use them (vendors) as you would a used car salesman, play them against each other, they all want your business.

the rolling pump you mentioned is ok, but i prefer a hypo diaphram pump

good luck

PaulJ
11-20-2002, 12:33 AM
You moved from Wildcat country to Husker country PaulJ

No, I moved Back to husker country :D :blob4:

Was only in kansas while the wif' went to vet school at K-state.
(please no rubbing it in about the game sat:cry: )

If you talk to the Lesco in Lincoln ask for Jack, He's been there the longest.
You might see what the rental centers around you have for aerators so you could try them out or at least talk to them about how well they hold up. I don't own one right now but just rent when I need it. They are pretty expensive machines to buy but I think they all will hold up well for the most part.

Are you having to deal with that rokcy sandy soil in your area? or do the lawns have good top soil? If alot of sand that may be why alot of aerating is not done?

Randy J
11-20-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by PaulJ
(please no rubbing it in about the game sat:cry: )

I'm a big Wildcat fan, but still had a hard time rooting against the 'Huskers, especially this year! I actually have a hard time rooting against any big 8 team, with the notable exception of Kansas! I'm still pulling for Ohio State to lose so OU can play for the national championship. I'm very confident that OU can beat Miami this year. If only they hadn't screwed up down at Texas A&M...

Randy

f350
11-20-2002, 11:19 AM
without a doubt osu will fall... GO BLUE

greenngrow
11-20-2002, 11:57 AM
Lawn solutions,

I have to ask something??

Is your Ag backgorund on the farm or in the Retail side???

Now to answer some of your questions

Aerator get a split drive what ever the brand. enough said.

Skid tank. You can find many different makes and models. Get at least 200 gallon tank I have a 300 gallon tank.

I pieced mine together from different suppliers. E-mail and I can give you that list.

Push spreaders.. I use Easy Flow Stainless Steel model. Don't get anything else but SS.

As for your inputs.. I just not a Lesco fan. I wopuld shop around and get my inputs from Ag supply market. If they don't have what you are looking for . They should be able to order for you. Just make sure you don't go off label.

Randy J
11-20-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by f350
without a doubt osu will fall... GO BLUE
Well, I just hope they get to play. I can't stand Ohio State!

Randy

greenngrow
11-20-2002, 03:49 PM
I don't know what I was thinking about.

The spreader that I have is a Earth Way not Easy Flow...

I don't know where Easy flow came from.

Lawn Solutions
11-21-2002, 12:55 PM
to answer your question greenngrow, I guess I have both...my family had a retail/wholesale vegetable business then we moved into row-crops. Thanks to you and all for the info!

Will let you know what I find when I start shopping...

:angel: May God be with KSU when they go to MU, they'll need it.

Randy J
11-21-2002, 01:42 PM
I don't know how MU can manage to play the other Big 8 teams so tough, but they sure can be spoilers. I don't think KSU will have much problem though. They appear to be a lot tougher this year than I gave them credit for at the beginning of the year.

Randy