PDA

View Full Version : Questions

205mx
11-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Is it too late in the seasno to aerate? what are some different things to do this time of year to help a yard look better next year?

1993lx172
11-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Is it too late in the seasno to aerate? what are some different things to do this time of year to help a yard look better next year?

You could, but with the grass around us going dormant so it might not be a good idea. I just wrapped it up yesterday and only plan on doing one or two more leaf clean ups before I get the equipment ready for winter storage.

agrostis
11-14-2011, 10:40 PM
What kind of grass are you talking about? You should't do anything to a warm season grass. You can cultivate cool season grass at this time of year but recovery will be slow.

1993lx172
11-15-2011, 04:08 PM
What kind of grass are you talking about? You should't do anything to a warm season grass. You can cultivate cool season grass at this time of year but recovery will be slow.

Most yards in our (the OP and myself) area have a mix of both types.

In my opinion he should just wait for spring to mess with anything like aerating or dethatching. The only things he should be doing now are leaf clean ups and getting equipment ready for winter storage.

RigglePLC
11-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Cool season grasses would benefit from winterizer fert. I think, aeration wouldn't hurt--aeration holes would close up after a few rain and snow events. But it is probably too late to seed. When it is is too late to seed is open to your opinion; germination would be very slow due to low soil temps. What are your soil temps? Do you use rye, blue or tall fescue? Or germination might occur in spring (and you have essentially done a dormant seeding).

I am trying to test this idea. Let you know in spring.