PDA

View Full Version : Leaf-Vac Box

FLD350
11-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Hey guys, I need to build a leaf-vac box for my F350. It is a pickup truck theres no dump bed. I purchased a GiantVac Leaf Vaccum This year and I need to box up my truck. I have never done this before so I could use any pointers or advice on how to construct it. I want to get it built this weekend so I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
11-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Lots of ventilation mesh the entire top.
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
11-15-2011, 09:59 AM
How do you plan to get the debris out?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

FLD350
11-15-2011, 07:03 PM
I was told that I can turn the discharge shoot away from the box and suck out the leaves from the truck, obviously I do not think it will be that easy and Im sure I will have to do alot of pitchforking and raking. However its going to have to be that way until I convert this truck into a dump or buy a dump in the spring.

I know you need to ventilate the top, my question is how do you actually attach the plywood and 2x4's to the bed, whats the best way?

Thanks for your help

CHRIS92789
11-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Just pick up two debree shovels and pull the leaves out..works great!

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
11-15-2011, 07:19 PM
If I were building it I would probably use simple construction for sides and top framing to lay mesh over. You will need to set up a method to secure loader. What size loader is it. I say simple construction because you said you were doing a dump next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

FLD350
11-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Its a Giant Vac 18hp Vanguard, I got the hitch mount so its good to go as far as mounting, if I do get a dump I can skid mount it and still use the swing arm from the hitch mount so I can actually dump the material.

mag360
11-15-2011, 07:31 PM
I've always thought a loadhandler might work nicely in a 4x8x6 box. If you just use the space between the wheel wells and build up everything would come out nicely with the loadhandler. Window screen from home depot makes a pretty good vent.

Lbilawncare
11-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Do not try to suck the leaves out with the vacuum, it won't work and it is dangerous. Cut 2x4s to fit in the stake pockets of the bed and use plywood for sides, use a mesh tarp for the top. Make sure you mulch the leaves up a lot before you use the vacuum because it will fill your truck up extremely fast. I recommend a mulch fork to break up the hard packed leaves to get them out.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Weather it is a flat bed or a pick up it should have some stake holes. So put the 2x4s into them and attach the plywood walls to the 2x4s then bolt the walls together and do the same for the roof sections. You will have 3 wall sections 2-3 roof sections and rear gate with a hole cut in for the vac.

I built the box on our GMC last week and now were are fabricating a new box for our new Ram. So I feel for you this is about my least favorite part of the trade it's not so bad when its pre built but when your starting from scratch it can be over whelming. If all goes well we start clean ups on Friday.

FLD350
11-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate your suggestions and help. Ill let you guys know how it comes out.

tony b
11-16-2011, 11:31 AM
I used chain link fence posts in the bed pockets and for frame constuction. Its fairly lightweight and very sturdy. I can post a pic inside and out later if you like. Also I used a dump kit i bought on ebay. I had about 4 days work in everything. Even with the dump the leaves still get trapped in the bed due to the wheel wells so I put a pallet in the front of the bed with a tow strap through it. Attach to a tree another truck etc and drive away.:weightlifter: