PDA

View Full Version : Ryegrass

clyde
11-14-2011, 11:11 PM
How tall will Rye get in south in two weeks from now?

If it doesn't reach 4", by then how long will it take? with Lime and Triple 17 added as recommened.

I have an engineer spec'ing b4 1/2 payment; 1/2 payment after he gets 4"

I am also pondering, where the contract is asking for tilled ground before ground is sown with seed. I believe if the ground is tilled it will erode along with the seed ( I would rather buy more seed than topsoil). Most of the slopes are 20 degrees it was just bulldozed 5 months ago. It now has sparse weed and grass cover now.

There are some extreme conditions in this contract that have me questioning things. It being a l@ke d@m. Generally you don't deal with 20+/- degrees of land for 1/2 mile this late in the season and them expecting a stand of gr@ss 2 weeks before squall lines start rolling in.:usflag:

FoghornLeghorn
11-14-2011, 11:16 PM
first question, have you already accepted this contract, or are you contemplating bidding?

clyde
11-14-2011, 11:19 PM
contemplating....

I am on the fence. I don't underestimate 65yr old engineers that wait till this late. The consequences are me reproducing my efforts to get a good stand of grass as mentioned if by chance it washed before germination.

We are almost to the point where it all getting washed COULD happen.

FoghornLeghorn
11-15-2011, 12:36 AM
One bit of advice. Never sign a contract where bad weather might mean you don't get paid. And this 4" nonsense sounds like a good way to get screwed. Whst if they don't have irrigation, what if you get strands of grass in one area, but the shady spots aren't growing? Then you don't get paid? I don't think so!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

clyde
11-15-2011, 12:40 AM
Irrigation will be a generator, shallow well pump, 500 ft of 3/4 pvc and 13 rainbird heads. This for in between the days of precipitation

32vld
11-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Tell the customer:

You don't control the weather.

And it is way late into the season to expect 4".

Are you (meaning the customer) going to guarantee the proper watering will be done with the sprinklers.

So if he wants a guarantee then he has to spend the money for sod.

It sounds as if he has built in too many ways to weasel out paying you.

FoghornLeghorn
11-15-2011, 09:58 AM
My verdict would be to pass. This job and contract sound like sure losers to me.

agrostis
11-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Even if i could plant on Sept. 1 and had ideal conditions i wouldn't touch this. You will get screwed on this deal.

Patriot Services
11-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Ahem......run!!! I've had a couple "engineers" that try way too hard to sliderule everything.
Posted via Mobile Device

clyde
11-15-2011, 10:14 PM
I took it a step further , I refused the engineers contract and wrote my own. We are suppose to meet tomorrow and finalize my contract and get the ball rolling ( so they've said ) this week. ;)

This was a classic example of sticking with your gut instinct.