PDA

View Full Version : Who works Part Time at a time clock punching job to get benefits....?

Exact Rototilling
11-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Home Depot, Lowe's, Costco, UPS...etc. Seems to be the bigger Co. with the better perks.

Please describe what the benefits are....?

Would you quit the lawn biz and take full time work instead of Part Time?

David Haggerty
11-15-2011, 06:19 AM
Not me, I get what benefits I have from the Veterans Administration. Those part time jobs won't come with benefits anyway. Self employed has to get health care from wherever they can. Lots of different sources. You can't find one policy that'll cover everything like you used to. And if you did dig deep and pay the price for health insurance, chances are you'd find yourself paying the premiums AND paying for the procedure. "Because we don't cover thaaat."

I get medical from the VA
Dental from the county dentist at a reduced rate.
Eyegalsses from Zinni Optical on line.

bdconsoli
11-15-2011, 06:46 AM
Actually plenty of companies will offer benefits to part time employees after a certain amount of time. Its usually 18 months or 2 years but it's the same benefits they give to the full time employees it just takes a little longer to get them.

Exact Rototilling
11-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Yes the insurance premiums for self employed are very high with crummy coverage and high deductibles. I negotiated hernia surgery last year at a deep discount from.what an.insurance holder would have to pay.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDiepstra
11-15-2011, 11:44 AM
I catch shoplifters on tbe weekends. Only pays $14 per hour but i get cheap insuroance and 4 weeks off paid. Plus, i like takin down bad guys.

AI Inc
11-15-2011, 11:48 AM
I got my health ins the old fashioned way. I married a woman that gets it from her employer.

agrostis
11-15-2011, 03:33 PM
I have two question's for people that pay for their own health insurance. How old are you ? How much do you pay monthly ?

jsslawncare
11-15-2011, 04:15 PM
I work at UPS. I do what we call pre-load (we load the trucks in the morning) I work from 5-to about 8am Mon- Fri about 15-18 hours a work. I'm under the union, I can't make a living off of my income there but, my benefits are unbelievable. Free health, life, vision, dential and a drug card. All free with cheap co-pays. At my center there are about 6 of us that are LCO's. It really works out great.

PROCUT1
11-15-2011, 04:21 PM
My wife just took a part time job that pays peanuts but we both can get the insurance.
Got lucky with that.

When we had insurance, back when I was doing better in business, I was paying almost $900 a month for 2 of us in our 20's

GreenI.A.
11-15-2011, 06:31 PM
I get mine through the VA aswell.

I have a budy in this industry that has a great method for health insurance. He enrolls each fall in one of the community colleges and pays 1,300 for a full year of insurance. He then withdraws from the classes before they start so he gets a full refund for the tuition. For 1,300yr its a great policy, he went a night in the ER last year, had xrays, 2 sets of MRIs and a cat scan aswell as a bunch of blood and other lab test done and his total was only areound $200. With most policies he would be paying 1,500-2,000+ for all of the testing

GravelyWoman
11-15-2011, 09:08 PM
I work part time at a very large national Dialysis companies in America. There are almost 40,000 employees and our benefits are great! As long as I work at least 24 hours per week, I get all full time benefits. For me and my spouse, we pay 240.00 per month or me by myself would be 120.00, per pay period. 5 weeks vacation and a 401-K plan. So, yes I am working for the benefits. All of my pay goes toward health care and retirement. What I live on is made from my own company! I am very fortunate to be able to work both. Next spring, I am hiring 1.5 employees and will be turning the lawn maintenance side of my business over to these employees. I will be heading up the design and landscape installation side!
Thanks,
Gravely Woman

Exact Rototilling
11-15-2011, 09:54 PM
I work part time at a very large national Dialysis companies in America. There are almost 40,000 employees and our benefits are great! As long as I work at least 24 hours per week, I get all full time benefits. For me and my spouse, we pay 240.00 per month or me by myself would be 120.00, per pay period. 5 weeks vacation and a 401-K plan. So, yes I am working for the benefits. All of my pay goes toward health care and retirement. What I live on is made from my own company! I am very fortunate to be able to work both. Next spring, I am hiring 1.5 employees and will be turning the lawn maintenance side of my business over to these employees. I will be heading up the design and landscape installation side!
Thanks,
Gravely Woman

Yes... this leads nto part 2 of the question ....who works PT for benefits plus hires help for the lawn biz.

If it was not for my.other non-lawn business that I work 20+ hours a weeks I'd seek out PT benefit work.as well. Can't complain I make $30 an hour with minimal overhead and zero commute.
Posted via Mobile Device

zak406
11-16-2011, 12:28 AM
I dont want to pay devils advocate here, but some of you are working 15-25 hours per week at a part time job. Im assuming you work lawncare atleast 35-40 hours a week Minimum. Now let me say this im not lazy, if there is 100 hours a week of work im taking it. With taht being said why are you guys working 15-25 hours per week plus lawn care. Wouldnt it be easier to get a 9-5 and get your benifits through there? Im not saying that what you do is wrong just a question. Im all for hard work, however at some point you spend all your time working and no time outside of work?

GravelyWoman
11-16-2011, 05:09 AM
My company is fully licensed and insured. In which to make my dream happen of becoming fully self employed and yet being cautious, I choose to work this way. Would it be easier just to sit back and work 9-5, sure! Is this my dream? NO!! I love this industry and work my arse off making sure that the quality exceeds the customers expectations. I make three times more pay by working my company then my p/t job, even after paying all of the expenses.
I still have plenty of time for my family!

Thanks,
GW

Mowingman
11-16-2011, 06:26 AM
I drive a school bus for our local school district. I do a morning run and a late afternoon run. Gives me plenty of time in the middle of the day to tend to my stump grinding and firewood sales businesses. We have insurance benefits,and, sick leave. No driving in the summer. This is a great job for anyone in the lawncare industry. In fact, we have 3 guys driving who are in the lawncare/landscape business.

johnnybow
11-16-2011, 11:34 AM
I also work at ups in the preload shift. 5am to 830am. Then i go work for myself throught the day. They give me great benefits for working part time. I get a paycheck at the end of the week also. I figure its atleast a 3000 a year insurance plan for nothing.

Exact Rototilling
11-16-2011, 12:21 PM
I dont want to pay devils advocate here, but some of you are working 15-25 hours per week at a part time job. Im assuming you work lawncare atleast 35-40 hours a week Minimum. Now let me say this im not lazy, if there is 100 hours a week of work im taking it. With taht being said why are you guys working 15-25 hours per week plus lawn care. Wouldnt it be easier to get a 9-5 and get your benifits through there? Im not saying that what you do is wrong just a question. Im all for hard work, however at some point you spend all your time working and no time outside of work?

You raise a good point....this was my busiest season. Worked 6-7 days a week. I saw very little of my son who is now 11. Took a 4 day weekend for camping trip this last August. Tons of full bore rushing before and after trip ...all done while dealing with back injury. Now that I have.a documented MRI ...my options are limited. Who'ed want to hire someone with F'ed back? If I had been working for someone else I'd be out on workman's comp. Ironically I looked into workman's comp early.on the spring. Requires having employees. Maybe I was miss informed. I'm not sure if hiring employees is viable in my market. I know what other lco are charging.

Lets just say if I was offered a secure full-time job with solid benefits with an actual future and I could bring in $60k a year I'd quit both.my businesses. The trick is can I achieve this income with my current businesses?
Posted via Mobile Device

zak406
11-16-2011, 01:17 PM
You raise a good point....this was my busiest season. Worked 6-7 days a week. I saw very little of my son who is now 11. Took a 4 day weekend for camping trip this last August. Tons of full bore rushing before and after trip ...all done while dealing with back injury. Now that I have.a documented MRI ...my options are limited. Who'ed want to hire someone with F'ed back? If I had been working for someone else I'd be out on workman's comp. Ironically I looked into workman's comp early.on the spring. Requires having employees. Maybe I was miss informed. I'm not sure if hiring employees is viable in my market. I know what other lco are charging.

Lets just say if I was offered a secure full-time job with solid benefits with an actual future and I could bring in $60k a year I'd quit both.my businesses. The trick is can I achieve this income with my current businesses?
Posted via Mobile Device

My uncle just quit his 9-5 as a carpenter to work at the steel mill. he makes alot more money, however he works all different odd shifts, has no time off, and is forced to work over time reguardless of wether or not he wants it.... He likes it however I think to myself why would you want to do that to yourself, who cares about the extra money when you dont have a life. Hes happy there so thats all that matters but you cant get so caught up in making a living were you dont have a life. Im lucky im only 21 with no bills (other than one credit card and for the most part it gets paid off every month) and I have been around the east coast playing hockey, now im in college as a freshmen so i have never had to worry about health insurance, there for landscaping is my only job.

watsmi57
11-16-2011, 05:07 PM
i am interested in this topic as well - subscribed

found this too:

http://ptmoney.com/the-ten-best-part-time-jobs-with-benefits/

RGM
11-16-2011, 05:14 PM
I work part time at Home Depot 10-20 hrs a week during grass season and 25-35 hrs off season. I have been there for almost 8 years $55 every other week for insurance and its pretty good. I get 60 hrs vacation a year now and about 24 hours sick time plus six paid holidays.

KS_Grasscutter
11-16-2011, 09:12 PM
I got my health ins the old fashioned way. I married a woman that gets it from her employer.

That's my plan too! My GF (of like 2 years) is a CNA, and plans to become a RN. Not only will she have great benefits, she will probably make more money then me LOL.

larryinalabama
11-16-2011, 09:42 PM
I have two question's for people that pay for their own health insurance. How old are you ? How much do you pay monthly ?

46 113$ not bad

larryinalabama
11-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Im on the payroll at a Firestine store in the city, no benefits just winter time work, even though Ive worked only 1 day in 3 months. Hope this is my last year.

Exact you know Lawncare is your passion why thing about working for the man?

Exact Rototilling
11-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Im on the payroll at a Firestine store in the city, no benefits just winter time work, even though Ive worked only 1 day in 3 months. Hope this is my last year.

Exact you know Lawncare is your passion why thing about working for the man?

Alabama Larry,

Yes I have a passion for aspects of the lawn biz and really enjoy the outdoor element. Since the back injury this year and having to finish the season in hobble modeÖit has gotten me thinking. Where do I want to be in 2 years, 5 years etc? I could go back to aircraft maintenance but most of that is night shift work and that just doesnít work for me.

I do wish I had other family members that could play a truly active role in the business. My son is 11 and has zero interest in this for now but he does have a mindset for business. I always try to get him thinking about what he could do for hire: ice cream truck, restaurant etc.

Never hurts to explore all options and I would seriously consider working PT for benefits if I didnít have my other business.

Iím always looking for greener grass. :waving:

TLS
11-17-2011, 09:11 AM
I've been working PT at a major grocery store for the past 24 years. It's a Union job and I get BC/BS, Dental, Vision, Rx, 401k, and a pension. Just last year we started having to pay $10 per week for these benefits. I must maintain a weekly average of 18hrs/week (soon to be 20) to be eligible for them. I don't think new hires would get benefits, and I know they wouldn't get my plan.

This used to be a great gig. Back in the 80's, 90's and up until about 5 years ago, I could work 6-8hrs on Saturday, and 6-8hrs Sunday <---(time and a half!) during the mowing season. Come this time of year (Thanksgiving) through Spring (Easter) I would get 35hrs/week and then 6-8 on Sunday. The store was less than 2 miles (<5min) from my house!

Now, my store of 22 years closed and I am forced to drive almost 20 miles and 45 minutes. They are also bumping the minimum hour eligibility to 20hrs/week.

I guess I cant complain. I'm getting $18K a year worth of health benefits for $520 a year.

whosedog
11-17-2011, 09:51 AM
I've stayed fulltime at my towns Board of Education because they have great benefits.The BOE pays a total of $28,000 for my healthcare package(medical,dental,@vision).It covers my spouse and twin son's till they turn 26 years old.Right now I pay 3 percent of my salary for this coverage(about $1,500) per year.Because of our new governer (Chris Christy)this amount will be increasing each year till we pay 12 percent $6,000 towards our benefits.The really great thing about this coverage is that I can retire and keep my benefits intact.I'm 57 and thinking about an early retirement at 62.

944own
11-17-2011, 11:05 AM
My wife is a dental hygienist for a independent dentist (no insurance). And I am full time LCO (no insurance). We pay about $450.00 a month for Blue Cross and we have 2 kids.

Exact Rototilling
11-17-2011, 01:25 PM
My wife is a dental hygienist for a independent dentist (no insurance). And I am full time LCO (no insurance). We pay about $450.00 a month for Blue Cross and we have 2 kids.

What is your deductible?
Posted via Mobile Device

TLS
11-17-2011, 01:43 PM
What is your deductible?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, I wasn't aware BC/BS had a plan that cheap!

944own
11-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I wasn't aware BC/BS had a plan that cheap!

Copays are $40 and the deductible is $2500 not that great but better than nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

AI Inc
11-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Copays are $40 and the deductible is $2500 not that great but better than nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats realy all ya need. One of the reasons ins is so expensive is people want everything covered. If ya covered for the big one, you doing ok.
On a side note for those with min coverage, when it comes time for a checkup , have them do a DOT physical instead. Then it is 100% deductable.

944own
11-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Thats realy all ya need. One of the reasons ins is so expensive is people want everything covered. If ya covered for the big one, you doing ok.
On a side note for those with min coverage, when it comes time for a checkup , have them do a DOT physical instead. Then it is 100% deductable.

The one plus we get from my wife working for a dentist is free dental. I had a root canal and a crown not long ago and didnt cost me a dime.

larryinalabama
11-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Theres a lot of health insurance avaible cheap if you willing to have a high dectuable.

My dectuable is 5200$ after that Im covered 100% including prescriptions for 113$ per month and IM 46.

agrostis
11-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Theres a lot of health insurance avaible cheap if you willing to have a high dectuable.

My dectuable is 5200$ after that Im covered 100% including prescriptions for 113$ per month and IM 46.

That's right. You have to shop around but there are reasonable rate's to be had. And those deductable's aren't that high when you look at the cost of medical procedure's. BCBS - 3000 deductable-25 co-pay 1 vision check up, 1 physical check up/yearly 100% covered 48 y.o. 151 monthly

larryinalabama
11-19-2011, 08:15 PM
That's right. You have to shop around but there are reasonable rate's to be had. And those deductable's aren't that high when you look at the cost of medical procedure's. BCBS - 3000 deductable-25 co-pay 1 vision check up, 1 physical check up/yearly 100% covered 48 y.o. 151 monthly

Thats great, consider most "employee" healthe insurance has a 25 to 40$ copay, and cover 80% of hospitalization, if you get major sick the high dectuable plan that covers 100% after the dectuable is far better. Plus theres more and more walk in clincs that accept cash at the time of visit.

TLS
11-20-2011, 09:05 AM
One variable we are not considering is location.

I'm on my phone right now so I can't see location, but I see Alabama in a name. There is no way a person from the I-95 corridor (Wash, Balt, Philly, NYC, Bost) will get rates as low as someone from the south.

While not as dependent on location as say car insurance, health insurance is very location specific. Also if your in a "group" plan, the demographics of said "group" will dictate premium. With my job, we have a high amount of older (50+) workers. Our 20 something workers are still in some sort of college and on Mom and Dads plan. Our 30-50 class workers are few and far between. This is true just due to the Baby-boomers alone!
Posted via Mobile Device

THIESSENS TLC
11-20-2011, 09:34 AM
I work full-time @ DENSO Mfg. 40hrs + a week, 48 hrs now and im glad the mowing season is over! Because 48hrs + about 20-25hrs of grass cutting would suck! Wasnt too bad this past summer @ 40hrs. But I got 80% coverage, rrsp, and a pension which is only 2% but better than nothing i guess!