PDA

View Full Version : any tree guys out there? Need help with pricing..

Ijustwantausername
11-15-2011, 11:14 AM
I had a person ask about pruning 33 leyland cypress trees. They are all side by side and growing into the power lines. Some are touching the ground wire and some are not. They want just the tops cut out 2-4 ft. I don't have a bucket truck as pruning "tree tops" is not my specialty, so I will have to use a big ladder.

The trees range from 18-22 ft high, and have been pruned before so the top part is really thin. I will need to haul them off which will be about a 7 minute ride for me. Any idea on pricing? I was thinking around $850 or so? Thanks.

metro36
11-15-2011, 01:01 PM
I would just sub it out to an arborist. Cutting anything near powerlines is risky and you really need the right equipment. I would also check your insurance to make sure you are covered for tree work near powerlines.

Lugnut
11-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Rent a tow behind lift if you are going to take the job...Usually, at least around my area, the lowest wire is cable or phone and electicity wires are towards the top, but the wire setup may be different by you so proceed with caution

Ijustwantausername
11-15-2011, 02:33 PM
I would just sub it out to an arborist. Cutting anything near powerlines is risky and you really need the right equipment. I would also check your insurance to make sure you are covered for tree work near powerlines.

When you say sub it out, do you mean I call a real tree company, have them look at it, get their price, then tell the customer the price with my fee attached?

KrayzKajun
11-15-2011, 02:38 PM
When you say sub it out, do you mean I call a real tree company, have them look at it, get their price, then tell the customer the price with my fee attached?

Bingo!!
Posted via Mobile Device

PROCUT1
11-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Thats how i would do it.
Make some money and dont have to touch the job.

Get a few estimates, from my experience there will be a huge spread.

I dabbled in the tree business for a couple years, but I found 7 out of 10 calls i was getting started to be "How much will you pay me for the wood to take my tree down"

I remember it used to cost a fortune to get a tree cut down and hauled away.

Now you look on craigslist and there are 20 ads of guys that will come and take it for free.

After paying 30 grand a year on insurance, and customers wanting me to work for free wood that i had to pay to dispose of anyway....I moved on from that venture

Ijustwantausername
11-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Bingo!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I see. My only hold back is what if something goes wrong and the Homeowner comes after me? Do I tell them that I subbed it out, is that something I tell them prior to the job?

What all do I need to make sure the contractor has? Insurance, WC, etc? Do I have the contractor sign something releasing me from liability and that the job is their responsibility?

As you can see I am a little hesitant and perhaps I worry a bit much, but its tree service after all, I want to make sure I am covered. Thanks

PROCUT1
11-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Tell them you need a certificate of insurance naming your company as additional insured. That will cover it.

thunderthud
11-15-2011, 07:07 PM
The second I read 'power lines' I became another voice in the sub it out chorus.

You should not work near power lines without an insulated boom on a lift. An insulated boom bucket truck has an annual inspection to verify it is still insulated and will protect those in the basket. Another missed item is the people on the ground touching the truck: they're not insulted if the boom becomes electrified.

Also, if you don't have a fiberglass ladder, you should not be anywhere near power lines of any kind.

You may be able to have the local power company trim the trees for your client for free. If the trees are in the lines, they are responsible for keeping the lines free of limbs. I've spent the better part of the last two weeks hearing the words 'tree' and 'brush' more times than I care to count.

nightshutter
11-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Sub it out! I have been in the same situation as you before. I have these apartments that I take care of that has a long row of trees entangled in power/phone lines. Can I do it myself? YES! Will I? NO! I have operated booms and cut down/Pruned trees plenty. Yes Im insured. If something would go wrong, That would be bad news bears. I told them to get an arborist that deals with these types of situations all the time. They respected me more because I told them to hire a arborist. They understand that I can do it, but sometimes you just need to past it on to someone more experienced in that area.

GreenI.A.
11-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Most people are unaware of this but OSHA mandates that you must be EHAP certified to do tree work within 10 feet of energized conductors, (that would be powerlines). A reputable tree company (liceansed arborist) who owns a bucket truck and does any line clearing will more than likely be EHAP certified. Therefore you should not and legally can not do this your self.

Check with a liceansed arborist and ask if they are EHAP certified and ask for proof of certification and proof of insurance stating line clearance. If subcontracting have him getting something from his insurance nameing you specifically for this job.

Or do not sub it out and just refer the job to a full service tree company and then you will be cut out as the middle man.

metro36
11-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Most people are unaware of this but OSHA mandates that you must be EHAP certified to do tree work within 10 feet of energized conductors, (that would be powerlines). A reputable tree company (liceansed arborist) who owns a bucket truck and does any line clearing will more than likely be EHAP certified. Therefore you should not and legally can not do this your self.

Check with a liceansed arborist and ask if they are EHAP certified and ask for proof of certification and proof of insurance stating line clearance. If subcontracting have him getting something from his insurance nameing you specifically for this job.

Or do not sub it out and just refer the job to a full service tree company and then you will be cut out as the middle man.

When ever I get asked to do tree work, I just call my buddy who owns a tree service and pass the job off to him. I usually give the customer his card, then call him to pass off the customer and job info. He contacts them and I don't get caught in the middle. This way I can't be held liable. If you build a relationship with a tree service by passing them work, they will most likely return the favor by referring customers to you for landscaping.

32vld
11-16-2011, 11:56 AM
I had a person ask about pruning 33 leyland cypress trees. They are all side by side and growing into the power lines. Some are touching the ground wire and some are not. They want just the tops cut out 2-4 ft. I don't have a bucket truck as pruning "tree tops" is not my specialty, so I will have to use a big ladder.

The trees range from 18-22 ft high, and have been pruned before so the top part is really thin. I will need to haul them off which will be about a 7 minute ride for me. Any idea on pricing? I was thinking around $850 or so? Thanks.

What is this ground wire you are talking about?

There are two lines hot, and neutral, current flows through both.

What are you?

An uncle Fester?

You put light bulbs in your mouth and they light up?

Sub out the work or refer to a tree guy.

Dr.NewEarth
11-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Your price seems high to me. How long will it take 4-5 hours including the dump?

Also, as some-one pointed out earlier check your insurance and, there are trained and insured arborists for that type of job.

If you get the gig, please "Look up and live"

Ijustwantausername
11-16-2011, 06:10 PM
What is this ground wire you are talking about?

There are two lines hot, and neutral, current flows through both.

What are you?

An uncle Fester?

You put light bulbs in your mouth and they light up?

Sub out the work or refer to a tree guy.

Actually, TROLL, their are three, two up top and one on the bottom. I was informed by the customer (who is an electrician) that the bottom was the ground.

I told them to contact an Arborist, especially after hearing about the OSHA law, thanks to whoever mentioned that!

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
11-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Read this, and this was a reputable company with experienced people. The accident happened this summer. This is exactly why I refer tree work.

An employee of a local tree service has died of injuries he suffered in an accident in Millcreek Township.

Robert L. Hannah, 46, died at UPMC Mercy in Pittsburgh on Saturday night. The cause of death was complications of thermal injury due to electrocution, an official in the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office said this morning.

Hannah, an employee of J. Thomas Tree Service, was shocked when his foot hit the top of an electrical line while he was cutting a tree in the 1100 block of Chestnut Hill Drive on Wednesday afternoon.

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the incident, area director Theresa Naim said this morning.

See Wednesday's Erie Times-News and GoErie.com for more details.

Rumor is this guy didn't just get shocked. He was set on fire and burned until the crew lowed him down and used a fire extinguisher.

Ijustwantausername
11-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Read this, and this was a reputable company with experienced people. The accident happened this summer. This is exactly why I refer tree work.

An employee of a local tree service has died of injuries he suffered in an accident in Millcreek Township.

Robert L. Hannah, 46, died at UPMC Mercy in Pittsburgh on Saturday night. The cause of death was complications of thermal injury due to electrocution, an official in the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office said this morning.

Hannah, an employee of J. Thomas Tree Service, was shocked when his foot hit the top of an electrical line while he was cutting a tree in the 1100 block of Chestnut Hill Drive on Wednesday afternoon.

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the incident, area director Theresa Naim said this morning.

See Wednesday's Erie Times-News and GoErie.com for more details.

Rumor is this guy didn't just get shocked. He was set on fire and burned until the crew lowed him down and used a fire extinguisher.

Gosh that's horrible. Well I have made my mind up about tree work after that. They can have it.

thunderthud
11-16-2011, 08:08 PM
I hadn't heard of EHAP before.

So I looked into it, I see it is for tree work. Even with all the training and certifications I know of, I can still learn there are others. EHAP is covered under several of my existing OSHA classes, but the fact another was out there shows how much information you can get from these forums.

When I trim branches, if it is near power, I have an electrician in the bucket doing it. When I trim branches with the bucket under normal circumstances, I have a laborer with OSHA 30 doing it. My boom is inspected annually by the dealer, and we do annual tune ups for safety with a third party training company.

Still, after all that, I learn of another training program. So, thanks to GreenIndustryAssociates for teaching me something this week!

GreenI.A.
11-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Another thing to, I know someone posted about using a tow behind lift. I am not 100% certain on this, but I am 99% certain that you are not insulated in those. If you arent paying enough attention and the boom contacts a wire you will be a little extra crispy

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
11-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Another thing to, I know someone posted about using a tow behind lift. I am not 100% certain on this, but I am 99% certain that you are not insulated in those. If you arent paying enough attention and the boom contacts a wire you will be a little extra crispy

Depending on the voltage of the line, the electric can arc out to equipment even without contact.

Ticolawnllc
11-16-2011, 11:52 PM

Do what you do well. Let a tree guy do what he dose well. The life you save may be your own.