PDA

View Full Version : RedMax EBZ8500 review

A+Grounds
11-15-2011, 05:20 PM
As some of you know one of my EBZ8001s was starting to show its age. After a few hours on lawnsite and some loss of sleep I decided to pick up a new EBZ8500. Couldn’t find much on this blower, which is very surprising especially for how powerful it is. When I went to pick up one at weingartz I was still a little unsure about this new blower because I have heard almost nothing about it. I talked to my salesman about the echo 770 and he said, “don’t even go there, no where near the power or reliability of that redmax.” Picked it up for $578.

Upgrades to the 8500 from 8001/8050
• Redesigned air filter housing has 2 intakes that go down into the blower intake area, no exact idea where they end up but it did help tremendously to keep out particulates.
• New fuel tank is easier to work with. Fill point is the highest point so there are no air pockets, this lets you put more gas in
• Lighter
• Blower tube is more robust at the flexible joint, but the tubes are not as heavy duty.
• Handle on the tube (hip mount throttle) is more comfortable and is made of a heavy plastic that does not flex
• Improved handle mount allows the handle to rotate and not the tube, this gives the tube a solid feel and removes the weak point between the flexible tube and solid tube
• Tubes connect with a great amount of friction, these wont fall off or loosen up on you
• Bigger blower tubes for more air volume
• New back padding is not very comfortable; most of the pressure is pushed onto your back in 2 long vertical areas.
• Just like all redmax blowers, all of the weight of the blower is on your shoulders
• Hip throttle mount is more robust
• More power

All in all I like it more than my older 8001. It may not be as comfortable but the gain in power outweighs that. The newer design made the flexible portion of the blower tube much less awkward, higher up and bit further out so it doesn’t pinch my waist as much when I aim the tube to my left. Seems to use fuel at the same rate (fast) and has the same eye burning exhaust fumes.

ralph02813
11-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Nice review, I have the 8050 I never noticed the fumes!

A+Grounds
11-15-2011, 05:40 PM
thanks! when the wind is just right or your blowing out a garage the exhaust is just eye burning

ralph02813
11-15-2011, 05:46 PM
ah - - - - almost no garages here!!

Ridin' Green
11-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Maybe you missed my review I posted a month or so back about demoing the Stihl BR600M, Echo BT 770, and the Redmax EBZ 8500?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=362238&highlight=Blower+demo+day

Try the Stihl HP Ultra in the new blower. I have no issues what so ever with fumes in my Husky 570 BTS (RM EBZ 7500 in orange)

A+Grounds
11-15-2011, 06:24 PM
must have missed it! I've looked into that stihl ultra but i am just going to stick with redmax oil if this blower has a short life you can bet ill switch to stihl. my other 8001 is even older than the one that crapped out on me and i am still seriously considering a stihl, i did try a br600 on and it was a world of difference in comfort. how often do the valves need to be adjusted

sjessen
11-15-2011, 06:32 PM
I have 2 8500's. Way more power than the 8050's. Uses more fuel and is louder. Lighter. Taller and narrower so is a bit top heavy, if you keep them in the back of your truck. The back pad is a little different but no less comfortable. I like the handle on the air tube in that the handle rotates rather than the tube itself. Seems like a nice feature.

Paid $540 total for one and $568(paid extra $25 for shipping/special order) for the other.

One other thing, being a strato-charged engine they are a bit harder to start when cold. If warm, they start first or second pull.

A+Grounds
11-15-2011, 06:39 PM
oh yeah it takes me about 4-5 pulls cold and 2-3 warm my older 8001 were 2 pulls every time

sjessen
11-15-2011, 06:42 PM
oh yeah it takes me about 4-5 pulls cold and 2-3 warm my older 8001 were 2 pulls every time

Am guessing they messed with the carb/choke some to keep pollution down for the epa.

Ridin' Green
11-15-2011, 06:42 PM
One other thing, being a strato-charged engine they are a bit harder to start when cold. If warm, they start first or second pull.

Exactly right. My Husky is the same exact way. First pull every time if warm, but at least 4-5 when cold, and it takes a while to warm up. The Stihl is a lot better on those issues, and way, way better on fuel.

Ridin' Green
11-15-2011, 06:45 PM
how often do the valves need to be adjusted

According to Stihl, they need to be checked and set one time at 139 hours of use, or as needed, which is determined by performance changing.

I am going to do a review of my 600 and Husky in the next day or two.

sjessen
11-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Exactly right. My Husky is the same exact way. First pull every time if warm, but at least 4-5 when cold, and it takes a while to warm up. The Stihl is a lot better on those issues, and way, way better on fuel.

Have heard the Stihl's have very good fuel economy. They are on a lot of guys trailers locally. The exhaust note really starts to sound sour after they get some age on them though. Maybe they just are out of adjustment.

ralph02813
11-15-2011, 06:50 PM

it should be better on fuel it has 20% less power

sjessen
11-15-2011, 06:54 PM
it should be better on fuel it has 20% less power

The 8500 uses a good bit more fuel than an 8050 but it is still just a few ounces per day during the mowing season. The extra power makes it worth it.

A+Grounds
11-15-2011, 06:55 PM
According to Stihl, they need to be checked and set one time at 139 hours of use, or as needed, which is determined by performance changing.

I am going to do a review of my 600 and Husky in the next day or two.

they get hard to pull when they need a valve adjust correct? were both in michigan so i would have to imagine we use similar fuel and see a similar amount of leaves in the fall. in you honest unbiased opinion do you think the br600 is really that much better than the ebz8500 in usable air and performance?

Darryl G
11-15-2011, 06:57 PM
I have the 8500 in orange....Husqvarna 580BTS. It has both a padded hip belt and a chest strap and also has a little bigger fuel tank. I felt like I was Moses parting the Red Sea today blowing fairly dry leaves. I can just stand in one spot and rotate my body and blow a berm of leaves 20 feet back in a semi-circle. I usually run it at 80 to 90% throttle on the cruise control even for heavy accumulations...about all you really need...and then hit the trigger for "turbo" to stuff leaves into the woods etc. It's pretty loud and a bit of a strain on the arm at WOT for sustained periods. Since I got it my wheeel blower hardly gets used.

SDLandscapes VT
11-15-2011, 06:59 PM
So I have one 8000 and 2 8001's and we run them hard this time of year. No problems and they have been really good to me. I borrowed a stihl from a friend a few years back and the power just isnt there--comfort yes. We needed another blower recently and I wanted to get the 8500 (going on my past positive experience with redmax blowers). Dealer tells me the 8500 I would have to wait for so I bought a Shindaiwa 854. The 854 definitely has more gusto, but what a PITA to start and the H4 is touted as fuel efficient but the redmax blowers will outrun the shindy by 15 to 20 minutes.

sjessen
11-15-2011, 07:01 PM
So I have one 8000 and 2 8001's and we run them hard this time of year. No problems and they have been really good to me. I borrowed a stihl from a friend a few years back and the power just isnt there--comfort yes. We needed another blower recently and I wanted to get the 8500 (going on my past positive experience with redmax blowers). Dealer tells me the 8500 I would have to wait for so I bought a Shindaiwa 854. The 854 definitely has more gusto, but what a PITA to start and the H4 is touted as fuel efficient but the redmax blowers will outrun the shindy by 15 to 20 minutes.

Both blowers have the same size fuel tank?

A+Grounds
11-15-2011, 07:09 PM
darryl i used just my backpack today to do my back yard and don't know how you do it, just getting out that billy goat is so much easier! sdl get are you going to get an 8500?

Darryl G
11-15-2011, 07:17 PM
WTH! I found this add for a 2 day sale for $509.00 for the Husky 580 but.....it makes no freakin sense making me think perhaps it's a scam. That is not English!

http://backpackleafblowersforsale.com/509-99-husqvarna-580-bts-back-pack-blower-new-model-2-day-sale-2/

Ridin' Green
11-15-2011, 07:17 PM
they get hard to pull when they need a valve adjust correct? were both in michigan so i would have to imagine we use similar fuel and see a similar amount of leaves in the fall. in you honest unbiased opinion do you think the br600 is really that much better than the ebz8500 in usable air and performance?

I wouldn't say a lot more usable air, but rather, a difference in how it's applied. I don't know what model Stihl the other posted used, but I run them side by side (My Husky, and Stihl) and there's a definate difference between them. The Stihl is a wolf in sheeps clothing. I would be willing to bet good coin that those who don't like Stihl 600's have little time with one in real world conditions, or just assume that they are weaker because of their sound.

My review will be fair and unbiased. I see no need to promote one brand over another just because I may own that one. I could have bought any blower I wanted whe I bought this last one, but I went with the Husky for several reasons that I'll cover in the review. In other words, I'm not particularly brand loyal.

Darryl G
11-15-2011, 07:19 PM
I have a lot of tricky spots to blow that make using the wheel blower cumbersome, strenuous and tiring.

sjessen
11-15-2011, 07:24 PM
I have a lot of tricky spots to blow that make using the wheel blower cumbersome, strenuous and tiring.

I hear you but you just can't beat a wheeled blower for wet leaves!

Ridin' Green
11-15-2011, 07:28 PM
I hear you but you just can't beat a wheeled blower for wet leaves!

It's really hard to argue with that since they are so powerful, but the latest generation of big BP's makes them a lot less useful than they used to be. I have yet to see any wet leaves, even in large number that I can't move handily with either the 600M, or the Husky 570. I used them exclusively this fall for leaf clean ups BTW, so I got a lot of good demo time behind them.

sjessen
11-15-2011, 07:36 PM
It's really hard to argue with that since they are so powerful, but the latest generation of big BP's makes them a lot less useful than they used to be. I have yet to see any wet leaves, even in large number that I can't move handily with either the 600M, or the Husky 570. I used them exclusively this fal for leaf clean ups BTW, so I got a lot of good demo time behind them.

Agreed.

With apologies to the original poster I own a 13 hp billygoat wb blower. I think wb blowers would be much more useful if the engine/blower housing was rotated 90 degrees on the frame so that the air discharge came out the front. Then put a swivel "tube" that rotated 180 degrees on the air discharge. May be hard to execute this idea though.

Ridin' Green
11-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Agreed.

With apologies to the original poster I own a 13 hp billygoat wb blower. I think wb blowers would be much more useful if the engine/blower housing was rotated 90 degrees on the frame so that the air discharge came out the front. Then put a swivel "tube" that rotated 180 degrees on the air discharge. May be hard to execute this idea though.

That's funny, because I have thought the same thing when looking at some of the new ones lately. I saw a youtube video of a tractor 3 pt mounted unit that did that, and it was sweet.

sjessen
11-15-2011, 07:39 PM
That's funny, because I have thought the same thing when looking at some of the new ones lately.

Billygoat now has a blower that mounts on the front of a z. It uses this concept.

A+Grounds
11-15-2011, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't say a lot more usable air, but rather, a difference in how it's applied. I don't know what model Stihl the other posted used, but I run them side by side (My Husky, and Stihl) and there's a definate difference between them. The Stihl is a wolf in sheeps clothing. I would be willing to bet good coin that those who don't like Stihl 600's have little time with one in real world conditions, or just assume that they are weaker because of their sound.

My review will be fair and unbiased. I see no need to promote one brand over another just because I may own that one. I could have bought any blower I wanted whe I bought this last one, but I went with the Husky for several reasons that I'll cover in the review. In other words, I'm not particularly brand loyal.

ill be looking out for your review

SDLandscapes VT
11-15-2011, 07:50 PM
The redmax holds a bit more @ ~76 oz while the shidy holds ~68 oz but 15 to 20 minutes on a cup of difference??

SDLandscapes VT
11-15-2011, 07:55 PM
no plans at present to get an 8500 but if the company continues to grow as we have a need for additional bp blowers I will definitely entertain the 8500. We love everything about the shindy 854 except the fuel usage and it is by far and away the hardest starting piece of equipment I have ever owned.

Ridin' Green
11-15-2011, 07:56 PM
I don't know if I'll be able to get it posted tomorrow or not, but for sure I should be able to by Thursday.

I am curius why you went with the hip mounted throttle. Was it a persoanl choice, or was that all that was left in stock when you bought? Several dealers I have been to, or caled lately are out of tube mounted control type blowers, so they must be coming into their own.

I have no specific issue with anyone who does use the hip mount, especially since it seems that until recently, that was considered the only "professional" way to go. I just can't see any use for it, and I've ran both types. The ease of havng the throttle control right at your finger tips while your hand is already on the tube handle just makes sense to me. I know a lot of guys worry about snagging the throttle cable on shrubs etc, but I have never even come close to doing that, not had any other reason to want to switch over to hip mount.

sjessen
11-15-2011, 07:59 PM
I don't know if I'll be able to get it posted tomorrow or not, but for sure I should be able to by Thursday.

I am curius why you went with the hip mounted throttle. Was it a persoanl choice, or was that all that was left in stock when you bought? Several dealers I have been to, or caled lately are out of tube mounted control type blowers, so they must be coming into their own.

I have no specific issue with anyone who does use the hip mount, especially since it seems that until recently, that was considered the only "professional" way to go. I just can't see any use for it, and I've ran both types. The ease of havng the throttle control right at your finger tips while your hand is already on the tube handle just makes sense to me. I know a lot of guys worry about snagging the throttle cable on shrubs etc, but I have never even come close to doing that, not had any other reason to want to switch over to hip mount.

Had a 8001 with the tube mounted throttle. Could not keep the on/off switch working. Seems the wires were too short. The hip throttle has been flawless.

A+Grounds
11-15-2011, 09:08 PM

no they had both i just prefer the hip. don't always have my hand on the handle usually just hold the tube

wright5223
11-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Just got one of these big boys last week and love it
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-16-2011, 08:43 AM
I've always had a hip mounted throttle. The 580BTS is my first machine with a tube-mounted throttle and I like it better. If frees up my left hand for picking up sticks and I have better throttle control for blowing out beds without disturbing the mulch. My only concern is catching the exposed wires on shrubbery or on something in my truck bed and ripping them out.

crazyflyboy30
02-06-2013, 11:26 PM
I've always had a hip mounted throttle. The 580BTS is my first machine with a tube-mounted throttle and I like it better. If frees up my left hand for picking up sticks and I have better throttle control for blowing out beds without disturbing the mulch. My only concern is catching the exposed wires on shrubbery or on something in my truck bed and ripping them out.

I got 580bts with a tube-mounted throttle so I could use handheld blower at the same time when I am in a super fast mood.

Darryl G
02-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Using a handheld blower with something like the 580 really doesn't help much. If you want to get serious strap on of your other blowers on your chest. I do that with mine...EB 630 on my chest with the 580 on my back and the 10HP Billy Goat on the ground. Carrying two blowers is a bit tiring so sometimes I'll just use the 580 and the Goat.

lawnboy dan
02-07-2013, 07:16 AM
wearing 2 backpack blowers at one time? that is serious

TMAC669
02-07-2013, 07:53 AM
I have 2 8500's. Way more power than the 8050's. Uses more fuel and is louder. Lighter. Taller and narrower so is a bit top heavy, if you keep them in the back of your truck. The back pad is a little different but no less comfortable. I like the handle on the air tube in that the handle rotates rather than the tube itself. Seems like a nice feature.

Paid $540 total for one and $568(paid extra $25 for shipping/special order) for the other.

My BR600 starts right up when its cold. I'm still going to buy a Redmax 8500 so I can have the best of both worlds!

Darryl G
02-07-2013, 10:12 AM
wearing 2 backpack blowers at one time? that is serious

The problem is that I have to bend the flexible portion of the discharge tube back fairly hard on the one on my chest and it can get tiring. It's not something I do all of the time, but for pitching a pile into the woods it works great, espeically if you use the backpacks to feed into the air stream of the wheel blower.

weaver
02-07-2013, 10:16 AM
My BR600 starts right up when its cold. I'm still going to buy a Redmax 8500 so I can have the best of both worlds!

So which one's better? The Redmax 8500 or the Husqvarna 580 BTS?

TMAC669
02-07-2013, 09:48 PM

Im having second thoughts on the Redmax. Went to the local power equipment store and this things is like walking around with a mini bike on you back. Way too heavy. Price wise its $100 more than the BR600. Seems like way to much back pack blower for everyday use.......just my .02

Ridin' Green
02-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Im having second thoughts on the Redmax. Went to the local power equipment store and this things is like walking around with a mini bike on you back. Way too heavy. Price wise its $100 more than the BR600. Seems like way to much back pack blower for everyday use.......just my .02

That's one reason I bought the Husky 570 (RM 7500). It is extremely close in power to the 8500/580 (and actually scours debris that is stuck down better), but a few pounds lighter, and only a couple more than the 600. I own both the 570 and the BR600. The 570 is worlds ahead in power when you really need it, and ten times more comfortable for run times over 15 minutes thanks to its vastly superior harness system (better than the straps that come on the 7500 too). The 600m is plenty for blowing grass and dirt under normal conditions though.

rreyn1812
02-08-2013, 07:10 AM
My local BobCat dealer just started handling the RedMax and he is very high on the 8500. Ran into him the other day and he now has a demo unit he wants me to try. After reading all of the above and reviewing the specs & reviews on the RedMax web site, looks like I will have to stop by and check it out. I have a Husky 170BT backpack blower and it doesn't come close to the specs on either of the RedMax or Stihl 600, but it does a really good job with the heavy leaves we get around here. I will probably be somewhat concerned about the weight though. My Husky is not the most comfortable thing to haul around on my back for long periods & the RedMax seems to be pretty similar weight. I like the lighter weight of the Stihl without a substantial drop in either volume or speed of air output.

TMAC669
02-08-2013, 07:22 AM
My local BobCat dealer just started handling the RedMax and he is very high on the 8500. Ran into him the other day and he now has a demo unit he wants me to try. After reading all of the above and reviewing the specs & reviews on the RedMax web site, looks like I will have to stop by and check it out. I have a Husky 170BT backpack blower and it doesn't come close to the specs on either of the RedMax or Stihl 600, but it does a really good job with the heavy leaves we get around here. I will probably be somewhat concerned about the weight though. My Husky is not the most comfortable thing to haul around on my back for long periods & the RedMax seems to be pretty similar weight. I like the lighter weight of the Stihl without a substantial drop in either volume or speed of air output.

The Husky is worth looking into, the BR600 is a great all around backpack blower. It may not be the most powerful but it starts right up, not too loud, not too heavy, and sips the fuel compared to the Redmax. Now if you are one of those guys who has to have the biggest and the baddest whatever it is, then the Redmax 8500 is the blower for you. If you have an application where you need the power of a walk blower but don't want to use a walk blower then the EBZ8500 is for you. If you have any back issues do yourself a favor and pass on the biggest baddest backpack blower on the market (Redmax EBZ8500).

jones68
02-08-2013, 08:50 AM
I have stihl br550 and redmax ebz8500 the redmax is head and shoulders over the 550. i find it very comfortable and not to heavy. but im coming in at 250lbs myself. that being said i use the stihls for everyday mowing and blowing the redmax for cleanups. now i use the redmax for snow removal this time of year. it works great on sidewalks and blowing off cars. if i had to choose only one blower to have in my garage it would be the redmax 8500. it is just too good for spring fall and winter.

KG26
02-10-2013, 03:44 AM
Red max is a work horse, parts are stocked almost where ever you go, rather simple to fix and they look good.

crazyflyboy30
02-10-2013, 11:37 AM

The Husqvarna 580 BTS is the Best all way all way round for me I love it so far and I got better price on the 580 for $477.07 out the door at my Husqvarna dealer than the Redmax dealer would do on a 8500 was $595.00 out the door.