PDA

View Full Version : Help! Spreading gravel on driveway...

A1 Grass
11-15-2002, 11:04 PM
I have a customer who wants pea-gravel spread on a (6000sq.ft.?) driveway. Has anyone done this? I will be using the help of 1 or 2 people... is it do-able or are we stupid to do it by hand?

1grnlwn
11-15-2002, 11:16 PM
Ever heard of a slinger truck? Its a rock truck with a high speed conveyor out the back, like a cement truck. It can distribute the load back and forth. All you would have to do is rake out the high spots. two hours and you are gone. Unless you are just looking for something for your guys to do.

Mark

1grnlwn
11-15-2002, 11:28 PM
Slinger truck

Scag48
11-16-2002, 12:12 AM
If you could get a slinger truck, that would work. Is it worth renting equipment for? If they'd let you, get a tractor with a decent sized rear blade, or a Bobcat if you're good with one. I've never graded with a Bobcat so I don't know how well one would grade with a bucket, but if you had the grader attachment, that would be perfect.

Ryan Lightning
11-16-2002, 12:34 AM
On the final grade, you could make a drag out of a peice of stiff metal fencing, like the stuff with 2-4" squares. Bend it a little, maybe add weight, and drag it behind your lawn mower. Ive done it at my freinds house with a quad to bring the gravel up, and regrade it all. It looks nice when your done.

Darryl G
11-16-2002, 12:49 AM
I'd say it would be stupid to do it by hand. I'm guessing you're gonna need like 40 or 50 tons of stone. That's a lot of stone to push around by hand. I have the trucker gate-spread the stone, then back blade with the front end loader on my tractor.

HarryD
11-16-2002, 02:01 AM
around here you can rent a skid loader for $100.00 for 4 hours . im sure it is probly pretty much the same where you are at

Mykster
11-16-2002, 05:23 AM
Why Pea-Gravel? I've never done drive way work but I wouldn't think pea gravel would be the best choice if it's going to driven on. Or is it just me?

The Mowerdude
11-16-2002, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Mykster
Why Pea-Gravel? I've never done drive way work but I wouldn't think pea gravel would be the best choice if it's going to driven on. Or is it just me?

I agree. I know that if this is what your customer wants, you really need to give it to him, but I gotta say, I hate pea gravel for drives. It looks nice from a distance, but it never "settles in." It stays loose forever. It gets spread over into areas where you don't want it. I've got it my own driveway. It was there when I moved in and I really don't like it at all.

lbmd1
11-16-2002, 07:19 AM
We use a Kubota with a york rake attachment when spreading 3/4" gravel over existing drives. Don't know if it would work with pea gravel though. Costs only $120 for 4 hours to rent, and you don't need all those man hours.

Mike

bommaritro
11-16-2002, 08:40 AM
When we order stone for drive ways up here one guy we use has a small gate on the back of his dump. I want to call a blast gte but I am not sure that is what it is called. He pulls into the drive way has his guy jump out open the gate and slowly drive forward. This helps to spread it fairly evenly. I had him drop a few yards of #2 stone on my driveway and the only thing I had to do was go out with a rake and smooth it out. It took me all of 10 minutes.

Ron

Here is a picture.

CMerLand
11-16-2002, 12:44 PM
A-1,

Before you spread that pea gravel, is this going on an already graveled driveway, thats worn down, a new drive or what. My first suggestion would be, if possible get some geo-textile fabric under that stone before you lay it. The fabric will help keep the gravel from mixing and migrating with the sub soil so you dont have to go back every couple years to fix this.

My first thought, before I realized you were in san antonio, was to use a snowplow blade if you had one. Did this many years ago, with a meyers, but put a locking pin into the sector before pushing. Of course that was only pushing like 5 or 8 tons of stone.

With that much stone however, renting a loader is deffinately the way to go provided you have experience running a loader. Hand raking???? Sure its doable, but why would you want to?? Like blisters?????

CMerrick

Darryl G
11-16-2002, 04:39 PM
I agree on the pea gravel. I use 3/4 inch "trap rock" processed stone. Smooths wells and locks in. The dust helps with that. I just keep gradually decreasing the angle on the loader while back-bladiing. My last pass I've got the whole front end of the tractor off the ground and the bucket almost level to pack it down good. I have to steer with the rear turning brakes on this pass. A little tricky, but I even up any "wavy" edges with a rake when I'm done.

coalburner
11-16-2002, 08:39 PM
A GOOD truck drive can chain his tailgate and spread it for you.

leadarrows
11-16-2002, 10:50 PM
A tri-axle can haul between 20/ 24 Tons of rock. Most any decent driver can tailgate the load so there will be minimum hand work.Is there enough clearance from wires & tree limes etc. for truck to raise bed and spread load? Lime stone or crushed rock is the number one choice for most drive ways around here. Lay a base with a #4 stone then top dress with second coat-of #8 or customer preference. The other way to go is with coarse L or some call it river rock.It would look more like P-gravel but is larger. Thats what I have in my drive way and I think it's more durable than crushed lime stone. I like the way it looks better too. I don't know what you have available in your area.

RedWingsDet
04-09-2006, 05:22 PM
what do you compact the 3/4 stone (21aa) down with? or do you just leave it and it compacts itself down?

olderthandirt
04-09-2006, 05:39 PM
If you just top dressing a drive you only need 5-8 tons and it can be tail gated by the driver.

wanabe
04-09-2006, 08:14 PM
How think are you putting it down? I always have them put it on a lime spreader and spread it. It does a great job, and it requires almost no hand work. Tailgating is ok if you want to play in the rock, but a lime spreader is by far a better option for driveways.

DLS1
04-09-2006, 08:52 PM
We get around 12 tons hauled in our gravel driveway every few years and it is spread pretty good by the driver by dumping it slowing from the back tailgate.

We get in-law to come out with the bobcat to smooth it out with the bucket on it. We use 1-1/2 - 2" rock since it packs down pretty good and the big gravel rock doesn't wash away as quick as the smaller gravel on our fairly steep driveway.

gammon landscaping
04-10-2006, 01:38 AM
i agree with just tailgating it. then just hand rake what ever needs it. i have a skid and no employs so i would take it but if i had employs and no skid i would take a few out there and do a couple hours work. i doubt that they want to pay for a rental and haul bill and your profit to even up a 80 foot driveway when you could just take a few guy charge less, pay less and make more