PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from the "Higher Up"

tbone3
11-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Last Friday "11/11/2011" I did a leaf clean up for a new customer took 4 1/2 hours to complete. We took all of the leaves from the front of lawn and moved them into the driveway. The back yard is quarter grass / quarter dirt / and half swamp... So we blew all of the leaves in the back over to the end of the driveway. The woods along their house are about 12 ft wide and go about 4 ft back. So we blew them threw the woods to the other side which is owned by the town. I will upload pics now

The husband called me back today 11/16/2011 saying their are leaves all over his yard again. Theres a HUGE brim of leaves supposedly. Which he says blew all over his yard. There is one small brim i couldn't get threw the woods, about 1ft wide, and like 1ft high. They want me to come back and do their whole yard again. Heres the pics.

Let me know what you think i should do.

Just started
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll61/tommycobra33/IMG00144-20111111-1122.jpg

Backyard (Small pile of leaves by left of page, Which is by the swamp)
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll61/tommycobra33/IMG00145-20111111-1357.jpg

Side yard (1ft brim by middle of page)
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll61/tommycobra33/IMG00146-20111111-1357.jpg

Front yard almost complete.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll61/tommycobra33/IMG00147-20111111-1357.jpg

Let me know guys!

Tom

Ijustwantausername
11-16-2011, 06:57 PM
I'd say "why did you wait this long to call me back?" and that you are NOT responsible for acts of God which I'm guessing is what caused the blow back into the yard.

metro36
11-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Did he tell you that you could dump the leaves in the woods or did you just assume and go ahead with it?

tbone3
11-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Did he tell you that you could dump the leaves in the woods or did you just assume and go ahead with it?

The property that the leaves where blown on to is owned by the town. Leaves have been dumped by the town their, so instead of loading them onto the truck and dumping them i just blew them threw. It took atleast 1 and a half hours to blow them threw the woods "like 12ft wide, and like 5ft long so they would hopefully not blow back threw...

Tom

lawnkingforever
11-16-2011, 09:52 PM
I have some wooded properties where I can dispose of the leaves. But I still mulch up the leaves and bag them with my accelerator bagger. I will walk the bag in the woods a bit then dump the mulched up leaves. There is simply to many leaves to try to mow or blow in the wooded areas. I would rather just do it right the first time also blowing that many leaves can be just as time consuming as bagging them up.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDiepstra
11-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Man you need to go back and see what it looks like. If the leaves you blew into the "berm" are all over the lawn I think you should blow them back into the woods and do a better job this time. If they are leaves that fell from trees after you left, tell him it will be more money. Has he paid yet?

tbone3
11-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Yes he has paid. I spoke to the home owner and we agreed upon my company going back and "clean up the brims and push them farther into the woods" he said they did not make it back onto the lawn yet. But he would like it addressed before they get to the lawn. I agreed and will be heading over there friday to do what i can.

JDiepstra
11-16-2011, 10:39 PM
I dont get it. In the original post it says he said they are all over the lawn. Not in the previous post it says they are not. Im confused. Either way, I think you are doing the right thing by pushing the berms back.

tbone3
11-16-2011, 10:59 PM
I dont get it. In the original post it says he said they are all over the lawn. Not in the previous post it says they are not. Im confused. Either way, I think you are doing the right thing by pushing the berms back.
Thats what it sounded like when I talked to him first. But he would just like the birms pushed back more.

Also... He said his deck was not cleared off too? Are "we" supposed to blow off the deck too?

Tom

JDiepstra
11-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Thats what it sounded like when I talked to him first. But he would just like the birms pushed back more.

Also... He said his deck was not cleared off too? Are "we" supposed to blow off the deck too?

Tom

When I do a leaf clean up, I try to get all the leaves, so I'd say yes.

Grassmaster9
11-22-2011, 12:18 AM
I keep notes on approx. how many are left in the trees. 1/2? 1/4? If it's an area with a lot of trees and they are falling, the lawn could be covered again in a day or two. Blowing off decks, patios, porches, driveways, flower beds, etc. are part of the leaf clean up. Most customers will call and complain if you miss these areas. Always consider these areas in your estimate so you don't have to do them for free.

32vld
11-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Problem 1: There still were leaves in the trees. Did you make customer aeare that he should wait another week?

Problem 2: Town land is town land so it doesn't matter is a weasel response.

Problem 3: Leaving a leaf row? Are you plowing snow/leaves?

Never leave a leaf row they will only blow back. And leaving a leaf row shows that you are lazy and want to shortcut everything. Also that you where not willing to charge enough to do the job the right way. So you shortcut every way you can.

Problem 4: People pay for all the leaves to be gone when your done. They expect the garbage pails to be moved so the leaves stuck behind them will be gone.

People expect the garden hose to be momentarily be lifted up so the trapped leaves will be taken care of.

People expect lawns, driveways, sidewalks, porches, decks, and underneath the last too items if access is easy.

Problem 5: Looking at those pictures having 100 illegals with br 600's would not get those leaves blown back far enough into the woods because the tress and brush were to thick.

Problem 6: You assumed the customer would be happy with a so so job for a so so price and the customer assumed he was getting a perfect job done at a so so price.

In other words you failed to make sure what you were willing to do and what the customer wanted were not the same.

Problem 7: When pricing a job you must spell out what's included and what's not included. Example he wanted deck cleaned and you left that out.

Agape
11-22-2011, 11:40 AM
all you can do is try to make the customer happy and go back. chalk it up to experience and if it takes you a couple hours, then it was a cheap lesson.

I don't do every thing perfect, but I try to find out exactly what the customer expects..I don't want to give an estimate for "XX" and way overshoot the estimate for "x". nor do I wanna give an estimate for "x" when the customer is expecting "ZZZ"

I think you get what I'm saying by my use of the letters x and z....:dancing:

Agape
11-22-2011, 11:44 AM
what did you charge for the job?