PDA

View Full Version : Please Identify This Plant

andyslawncare
11-16-2011, 08:59 PM
The pictures are attached. The plant was removed from one of my commercial properties and is about 3' tall and wide. No flower buds formed yet and it appears to be an evergreen as the leaves have not changed color yet.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
11-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Looks like Azalea

andyslawncare
11-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Not Azalea. Leaves too long and too glossy.
I'm thinking maybe a virbrunam spp?

lqmustang
11-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Rhododendron

32vld
11-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Rhododendron

i agree ten letter min

Tizzy
11-17-2011, 06:56 PM
im gonna go with Rhododendron

CL&T
11-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Definately Rhody.

Green Feet Lawn
11-17-2011, 09:34 PM
I agree with Rhodendron

bflawns
11-18-2011, 09:29 PM
So is wild mountain laurel and rhodo the same or just related? Up here in the smokies they call that mountain laurel. I am maintenance not install, so not that familiar w/ names

Gilmore.Landscaping
11-18-2011, 09:47 PM
I am maintenance not install, so not that familiar w/ names

How can you maintain stuff when you don't know what they are??

bflawns
11-18-2011, 10:04 PM
How can you maintain stuff when you don't know what they are??

Finally, some one to talk to. Hey. It grows wild all over these Georgia mts. so therefore no maintenance, my Canadian friend. There are also wild decidious azaleas here too, but no maintenance there either. I was just asking a question, Thats how we learn, right? Got an answer that could help? I maintain customers. I am pretty good at that. In business for thirty-three years, must be my pretty smile huh? lol:canadaflag:

CL&T
11-19-2011, 12:10 AM
The azalea is a member of the rhododendron family. Mountain laurel isn't even close. All three are widely used for foundation and landscape plantings.

Don't they have nurseries by you?

bflawns
11-19-2011, 01:04 AM
The azalea is a member of the rhododendron family. Mountain laurel isn't even close. All three are widely used for foundation and landscape plantings.

Don't they have nurseries by you?

So I guess its true what they say about you folks from New York.

CL&T
11-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Well, you wanted an answer that could help. Yes it's true, we New Yorkers are a bunch of helpful fellers like you heard.

32vld
11-19-2011, 07:15 PM
So is wild mountain laurel and rhodo the same or just related? Up here in the smokies they call that mountain laurel. I am maintenance not install, so not that familiar w/ names

Two different plants/

andyslawncare
11-21-2011, 08:23 PM
The leaves of the plant in question are pretty close texture to the Otto Luyken laurel, so I can understand the confusion if the wild laurel's leaf looks similar. The reason for my original ID was because I tore out one live one and I've planted it at my house, and need another to fit the design... I'll photo it again when it blooms and compare at the wholesale farm. Thanks for the answers.

bflawns
11-21-2011, 10:20 PM
The leaves of the plant in question are pretty close texture to the Otto Luyken laurel, so I can understand the confusion if the wild laurel's leaf looks similar. The reason for my original ID was because I tore out one live one and I've planted it at my house, and need another to fit the design... I'll photo it again when it blooms and compare at the wholesale farm. Thanks for the answers.

Thank you for a non smart-ass reply. This sounds about right, and looks very similar to stuff I'm seeing that just doesn't quite fit any category I'm checkin on. . .Hey btw, How are you related to Andy from Andys Nurserys in Fayettville and south Newnan? Done business with you guys for years, before moving north to the ga. mountains. Always thought the world of Andy, and everyone associated with the co. Please tell me Andy is still with us. Hellava guy, and thanks again. Think the otto Luyken theory may be the right one , Hell what do those yankee boys know? lol sorry new york boys, that is not what i heard,haha