PDA

View Full Version : Cordless hedge trimmers

cgaengineer
11-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Is anyone using them? We use HS45's but after several hundred shrubs they feel like they weigh 25 pounds. I am looking for something lightweight, powerful and decent battery life. These are not to be used for rejuvenation trimming...more do taking off new growth between trimmings. We maintain several Townhome HOA's, one of them 150 units with maybe 1000 or more shrubs. I would hardware an invertor to our NPR for powering charger. I'm not concerned about how long they last, but if they last a season I'd be happy.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnpro724
11-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Spend the money and buy a good commercial gas trimmer. Those electric trimmers are for homeowners who only trim their shrubs once or twice a year.

bobcat48
11-19-2011, 05:49 PM
About two seasons ago before i used a gas one i had electric and it was alright wasn't enough power i now have a redmax it is great 24'' trimmer is a good size unless you want/need a extened one echo,stihl i would say for that.

cgaengineer
11-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Spend the money and buy a good commercial gas trimmer. Those electric trimmers are for homeowners who only trim their shrubs once or twice a year.
If you reread my post I tell you I already have gas trimmers...and we don't want Stihl commercials ones...too heavy. Us like many on this forum us HS45's

We have spent the money on gas...we have two...they get really heavy after several hundred shrubs...these elec won't be used for heavy pruning, just weekly touchups.
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
11-19-2011, 06:58 PM
If you reread my post I tell you I already have gas trimmers...and we don't want Stihl commercials ones...too heavy. Us like many on this forum us HS45's

We have spent the money on gas...we have two...they get really heavy after several hundred shrubs...these elec won't be used for heavy pruning, just weekly touchups.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good to see you here. Been fighting all the libs by my self lol.

Dont really know of any battery powered commerical stuff. Doesnt Black and decker have a combo set chain saw trimmers etc?

I have a 30" single sided Kawasaki trimmer thats light weight and very realible, IOve had them 7 0r 8 years and still get used all the time.

thunderthud
11-19-2011, 08:39 PM
We have the HSA65 Stihls on one truck. As we replace gas powered trimmers, we're going to the battery powered units.

The Stihl 65 string trimmer is a bit weak but not that bad for quick work, the 85 is a much better unit. The cordless chainsaw is pretty decent for quick tree trimming.

You really have to have the entire Stihl system and an inverter on the truck to charge on the road to see the benefit. The lack of noise is the biggest benefit to the employees, and the lack of gas saves me money.

cgaengineer
11-19-2011, 08:54 PM
The Stihl hedge trimmer weights more than the gas powered HS45...I want something light!
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
11-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Battery string trimmers would never work for us...way too much trimming and edging...we are talking miles. Shrubs...thousands. This is all at one Townhome complex.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
11-19-2011, 10:49 PM
About two seasons ago before i used a gas one i had electric and it was alright wasn't enough power i now have a redmax it is great 24'' trimmer is a good size unless you want/need a extened one echo,stihl i would say for that.

We are using the 24" Stihls now...which elec brand did you use.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth
11-20-2011, 01:30 PM
I bought a Black and Decker. It would work fine for what you are suggesting. See if you can get extra batteries for it.

I prefer a sharp, tight, new gas trimmer for every-thing. Particularly cedars. The battery powered B + D was purchased because it is less noisy in an echoie HOA

Electric equipment can be slower to use and the blades can also have smaller teeth which prevent fast efficient commercial work.

metro36
11-20-2011, 01:36 PM
I know of a company in the hamptons who uses single sided little wonder electric trimmers powered by small honda inverter generators. They only use them on bigger jobs as they are light. The noise from the trimmer and one of the generators is also much less that a gas trimmer.

cgaengineer
11-20-2011, 07:33 PM
I bought a Black and Decker. It would work fine for what you are suggesting. See if you can get extra batteries for it.

I prefer a sharp, tight, new gas trimmer for every-thing. Particularly cedars. The battery powered B + D was purchased because it is less noisy in an echoie HOA

Electric equipment can be slower to use and the blades can also have smaller teeth which prevent fast efficient commercial work.

I'm interested in the B&D and will take a look at them. I understand they won't replace our HS45's but for early morning trimming at our HOA's and weekly maintenance I think cordless would be fine. We sometime use hand shears because they are light and quiet...but we break out the gas burners for real trimming and shaping.
Posted via Mobile Device

ralph02813
11-24-2011, 07:59 AM
I have both a B&D hedge and string timmer, they are both great for touch ups - the string trimmer I use generally at my first house of the day it lets me start early. Buy the hedge trimmer at home depot, try it for a couple hours, if it doesn't work, just bring it back. My guess is that if you use it for a real trim jobs it won't last.

cgaengineer
11-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Just touchups is all I want to use it for.
Posted via Mobile Device

ralph02813
11-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Just touchups is all I want to use it for.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know, the b&d should work, and it is very light

RGM
11-24-2011, 10:30 AM
I have a ryobi string trimmer and hedge trimmer I bought for my girlfriend to use around the house and I have used it on jobs to touch up and small 1 or 2 shrub jobs they are not to bad. The lithium battery run about 20-30 mins.