PDA

View Full Version : Who runs a 4x4 Tundra with 8 foot bed and standard cab....?

Exact Rototilling
11-17-2011, 12:02 PM
So I checked into this and it turns out they are very rare? There are 3 on order now.... nationwide.

I guess I’m not understanding why there is not more demand for the 8 foot bed? Why buy a full size work truck and not have a 8 foot bed? Even the longish double cab 8 foot bed option is is not terribly common?

And where is the 3/4 ton option....?

SNAPPER MAN
11-17-2011, 01:02 PM
There is no 3/4 ton option but in my opinion it is inbetween a half ton and 3/4 ton. I have a crew max, shortbed, 4x4 and it is an awesome truck. The most common work truck tundras here are double cab, standard bed, 2wd.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
11-17-2011, 05:19 PM
There is no 3/4 ton option but in my opinion it is inbetween a half ton and 3/4 ton. I have a crew max, shortbed, 4x4 and it is an awesome truck. The most common work truck tundras here are double cab, standard bed, 2wd.
Posted via Mobile Device

How is it with payloads at max rate 1600+ up to 2000 pounds....?

Any real need for an airbag assist to level the load?

SNAPPER MAN
11-17-2011, 06:02 PM
I put 2000 lbs in mine all the time while pulling 6000lb mowing rig. It doesn't squat much at all. All in all its a great truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
11-17-2011, 07:31 PM
I put 2000 lbs in mine all the time while pulling 6000lb mowing rig. It doesn't squat much at all. All in all its a great truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is good to know since I really donít have a need for a 3/4 ton per say. If the Tundra can handle a ton of cargo in the bed and still pull a trailer with ease I donít need a 3/4 ton.

Not to start a raging debate here but I had my doubts about the Chevy, Ford & Dodge 1/2 tons being enough truck to justify the upgrade form my current smaller Toyota truck with 6 foot bed.

sjessen
11-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Personally, I think any of the major brand's trucks will serve you well. If your preference is Toyota you will have a very nice truck. Use to run them 20 years ago. They were tough and got great mileage. Only reason I switched is the domestics were so much cheaper used. Toyota sure holds it's resale value.

unkownfl
11-17-2011, 09:23 PM
I can't even find a single cab on their site. I looked at Toyota but their financing was not good and 4% through my credit union was the best I could get. Also, they were a couple more grand than the Fords.

hosejockey2002
11-17-2011, 09:56 PM
This is good to know since I really don’t have a need for a 3/4 ton per say. If the Tundra can handle a ton of cargo in the bed and still pull a trailer with ease I don’t need a 3/4 ton.

Not to start a raging debate here but I had my doubts about the Chevy, Ford & Dodge 1/2 tons being enough truck to justify the upgrade form my current smaller Toyota truck with 6 foot bed.

I don't think that the Tundra is any more truck than other 1/2 tons, except maybe in the engine department. Look at the frame, it's tiny. It's about 1/2 the size of a 3/4 ton pickup, small enough that I would have concerns of excessive frame flex when hauling much over what the truck is rated for.

Exact Rototilling
11-17-2011, 10:26 PM
I can't even find a single cab on their site. I looked at Toyota but their financing was not good and 4% through my credit union was the best I could get. Also, they were a couple more grand than the Fords.

Yes the regular cab is not even listed on the site. I even pulled up their chat function and I was told single cab, 4WD & 8 foot bed was no longer offered....:confused:

When I called the dealer they said only one 2011 in that configuration in current dealer inventory and (3) 2012 on pending orderÖ.?

Personally, I think any of the major brand's trucks will serve you well. If your preference is Toyota you will have a very nice truck. Use to run them 20 years ago. They were tough and got great mileage. Only reason I switched is the domestics were so much cheaper used. Toyota sure holds it's resale value.

Ok nobody laugh but my main work truck is a 1985 Toyota extra cab 4x4 with a 22r solid front axle. This truck has been in the family since new. It does struggle pulling my 6 x 12 enclosed on the highway above 55 mph but around town does fine. E10 fuel has been an issue but I use Startron and I do occasionaly fill up with ethanol free gas. Very few issues with this truckÖsomeone tried to steal it spring before last. No intention in selling it and Iím condissering putting one of these UTE beds on it,
http://www.uteltd.com/img-gallery/img-22-tn.jpg

Either way I'm putting an airbag system to help with the loads. The UTE bed would give me 6 feet across and roughly 7 feet in length. Itís getting very frustrating dealing with the smallish bed these days. It can be debated back and forth whether it is worth putting that kind of $ into it. Except for some bed rust truck is in really solid shape.

GravelyGuy
11-17-2011, 10:37 PM
I haven't posted much about this because my 07 Toyota was a beast at towing and overall it was a joy to drive, but since you specifically asked about payload.

When I traded my 07 at the end of 2010 the frame was very slightly starting to bend at the C channel part of the rear frame. Right above the leaf springs where the bump stops are. I had airbags installed.

I'm sure it would have been fine, but I overloaded it all the time (payload was only like 1450 lbs or something). At one point I had a 200 gallon skid sprayer in it + bags of fert. It also towed my 24 foot enclosed which has major tongue weight.

I wouldn't load the bed like a 3/4 or 1 ton all the time.

Exact Rototilling
11-17-2011, 10:56 PM
I haven't posted much about this because my 07 Toyota was a beast at towing and overall it was a joy to drive, but since you specifically asked about payload.

When I traded my 07 at the end of 2010 the frame was very slightly starting to bend at the C channel part of the rear frame. Right above the leaf springs where the bump stops are. I had airbags installed.

I'm sure it would have been fine, but I overloaded it all the time (payload was only like 1450 lbs or something). At one point I had a 200 gallon skid sprayer in it + bags of fert. It also towed my 24 foot enclosed which has major tongue weight.

I wouldn't load the bed like a 3/4 or 1 ton all the time.

Was the tweaked spot from the air bags or the stops hitting the frame?

How much weight do you think it was in total?

I've actually overloaded my 85 Toyota up to just over 2000 on a few occasions. I belive the frame to be strong enough as the old frames are boxed. It really needs airbags for any weight over 600-800 just squats too much. Payload rating is roughly 1100 #.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
11-17-2011, 11:13 PM
I have a friend with the 5.7 extended cab and it went through 3 rear ends. He use to bracket race it and was dead consistent 14.1 14.4 depending on the weather. Truck was stock with stock tires. It was a lease and he ended up not buying it out and just paying 2000 for mileage overage. We've towed my Mustang or his LTD on a car hauler for a total weight of 5klbs and it would pull it just like my 6.0 diesel Ford. I had a first generation limited tundra and loved it with the 4.7 never had any issues I bought it with 60k and traded it in on the diesel in my avatar with 100k. I see a few auto parts companies running around with the long bed 2wd tundras but they have 6 bangers in them. Also, a regular cab is kinda small for me and you can't move the seat back to have an angel.

GravelyGuy
11-18-2011, 01:34 AM
It was twisting the area right above the air bags where most all of the weight was transferred to the frame. The sprayer was probably around 2100 pounds when full.
Posted via Mobile Device

tyler_mott85
11-19-2011, 09:30 AM
I have a buddy that is a mechanic. The shop he works in specializes in alignments and they do trucks all the time. I asked him about the Tundras if all those commercials about their big brakes and boxed in frame was that much different than your regular domestic 1/2 tons. He explained it like it has features of 3/4 ton trucks but on the scale of 1/2 parts. He thought they were very well built and has never seen any with problems from being overloaded or run into curbs or anything.

I would love a tundra but they are just so dang expensive. If only Toyota would start building a 3/4 ton.... I would be interested to see what their diesel option would look like.

agrostis
11-19-2011, 10:06 PM
I don't think that the Tundra is any more truck than other 1/2 tons, except maybe in the engine department. Look at the frame, it's tiny. It's about 1/2 the size of a 3/4 ton pickup, small enough that I would have concerns of excessive frame flex when hauling much over what the truck is rated for.

So has toyota beefed up the frames since those truck's first came out ?
There was a breakage problem to begin with. For the price they want i expect better than that.

hosejockey2002
11-23-2011, 05:47 PM
So has toyota beefed up the frames since those truck's first came out ?
There was a breakage problem to begin with. For the price they want i expect better than that.

I don't know if the newest ones are stronger. I've looked at a couple in the 2009 or so range, and the frames are about the size of other 1500 series trucks, which is to say about half the size of HD pickups. That's no big deal as long as the trucks are used as designed. I think where guys will have trouble is if they beef up the rear suspension to handle extra weight. These trucks have so much power that putting 3000 pounds in the bed doesn't really slow them down, and their brakes are so good they still stop on a dime even grossly overloaded. If you beef up the suspension they probably drive fine. The problem is that that spindly little frame becomes the weakest link and that's how they get bent.

lawnboy dan
11-27-2011, 08:40 AM
back in 03 when i bought my tundra-i had a really hard time finding a 8f00t bed model. in winter i dont need the trailer often so the long bed is a must.

Exact Rototilling
11-29-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm putting the Tundra on the back burner. For this next season going to dump some $ into my older Toyota 4x4. Flatbed conversion. Brake upgrades, suspension upgrades. I run lighter equipment and target smaller lawns so I can get by with it another year or so. No plans on ever getting rid of it and I plan on driving it till the very end so the capital spent is justifiable. Truck is somewhat of a classic and conversation piece with clients.

I'm open to domestic 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons with an 8 foot bed. Maybe a one ton chassis cab with a longer frame so I can have a dovetail conversion. Will have to see how next season goes with my rate increases or if this biz is viable beyond a mom and pop solo type operation?
Posted via Mobile Device