PDA

View Full Version : Yard Waste Problems

elitelawnteam1
11-17-2011, 06:38 PM
I just got another letter from the Village of Cary about the "huge pile of yardwaste" in my backyard. Because of all the clean-ups I've been doing I havn't had time to send it out to the compost facility a few miles away for the past two weeks. It doesn't look all that bad... I mean it's under a tree, and I keep it compressed and not flying around everywhere.

I have until Nov. 20th to get it all out of there, and my schedule is packed all weekend. Has anyone ever been in this situation? What did you do to solve the problem? Or is everyone lucky enough to live in an area where property inspectors don't exist?

Thanks!

RussellB
11-17-2011, 06:59 PM
I wouldn't raise a stink. They will win. Does your zoning allow you to run a business out of your house? Just asking because it will be the first angle the town takes .
Posted via Mobile Device

jsslawncare
11-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Build a fire, and when they complain about that have a bag of nashmollows handy.
Where I live we don't have property inspectors either. I too have the huge pile of waste.

elitelawnteam1
11-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Technically, I can't burn leaves, the thing is, nobody said anything all summer, and that pile stank! The inspector drives by at least once a week and didn'r say a thing. Has she not been doing he job all summer? It's stupid because it's her sole job to piss off the people that pay her.

Dr.NewEarth
11-17-2011, 08:19 PM
I wonder if you angered one of your neighbors and they complained?

elitelawnteam1
11-17-2011, 09:22 PM
In the middle of October, is when she first came around, I asked if there were complaints, she said none. Then what's the problem? "You need to come back into compliance" The week after she came by again and said 2 people complained. Personally, I don't really care, most of my neighbors have hated me and my family since the beginning of time. After I learned people had complained, I will simply call in everything that pisses me off about them, give them a taste of their own medicine. I have a feeling I know who called, and they will be sorry that they did.

ed2hess
11-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Build a wall around it and tell them it is your compost pile.

nortonlawncare
11-17-2011, 11:38 PM
so instead of dropping it off at said compost facility you took it to your house and piled it up before you were going to take it to the facility? you said it really stank, and you refused to take care of it when you got a warning. With this happening you still manage to have the mind set that you're going to screw over a neighbor because you THINK you know who it is?

I think you should just take care of it, no need to make a mountain out of a mole hill

calvinslawnservices
11-18-2011, 08:08 AM
If it was a few miles away from your house. I would have just dropped it off on my way home and been done with it, no sense in handling the material twice.

Darryl G
11-18-2011, 09:29 AM
I think you need to treat it as a priority and do whatever it takes to get the pile out of there ASAP and find a better way to deal with your yard wastes in the future.

I compost a lot of my yard wastes in the back of my property where they don't bother anyone. I have a few different piles depending on the material. The town recycling center is also nearby for heavy brush etc., but the hours are very limited.

32vld
11-18-2011, 07:00 PM
In the middle of October, is when she first came around, I asked if there were complaints, she said none. Then what's the problem? "You need to come back into compliance" The week after she came by again and said 2 people complained. Personally, I don't really care, most of my neighbors have hated me and my family since the beginning of time. After I learned people had complained, I will simply call in everything that pisses me off about them, give them a taste of their own medicine. I have a feeling I know who called, and they will be sorry that they did.

You know that if the dump was closed when you got home the easy way would of to wait till the next morning and make going to the dump your first job of the day.

Now you have to reload the truck and unload the truck twice and you only got paid to do it once.

Complaints or not you chose to place your self above the law. When operating a business in a residential area with neighbors it pays benefits to not antagonize the neighbors.

PlantscapeSolutions
11-18-2011, 10:37 PM
I live in the country and had a composting experiment going a few years back. The pile was about 60 yards. I know one of my neighbors didn't think my pile was a great experiment like I did. The county health guy showed up and said it had to go. You can't bring waste material back to your own place to dispose of it. You have to get a permit to run a waste composting business.

It took about three trailer loads to haul it off. Luckily I don't pay for disposal. Just had to pay for a skid steer with a grapple bucket.

sealcutter
11-18-2011, 11:38 PM
If it was a few miles away from your house. I would have just dropped it off on my way home and been done with it, no sense in handling the material twice.

That's the truth brother, yard waste goes right to the dump asap. Work smarter not harder...

knox gsl
11-18-2011, 11:49 PM
That's the truth brother, yard waste goes right to the dump asap. Work smarter not harder...
Same here no unloading till I get to the final destination.
Posted via Mobile Device

elitelawnteam1
11-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Same here no unloading till I get to the final destination.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly why am I going to waste gas to drive every day (It's in Mchenry, so it's about 20 miles away not 5 like I said originally) Not everyone has a landfill right next door (they were going to put in a transfer station a few years back, but that got killed, I really wanted one too. woulda been 3 min from my house)

And yes, I do know who called and I'm not surprised (I know who called because the woman's son goes to school with my younger brother. He told him.)

For this pile at least, it will be burned this weekend.

JDiepstra
11-19-2011, 12:34 PM
OP, wake up. I hope they fine you. You are 100% wrong.

PlantscapeSolutions
11-19-2011, 12:45 PM
For most people it is cost prohibitive to run to a disposal place every day. It's a waste of a lot of time and fuel making twenty trips instead of one. Sounds like you need to build an enclosure with 6' or 8' fencing so everything is out of sight and out of mind. If you piss off the inspector they can make your life hell. Plus hiding your crap is good way to be a good neighbor. Burning trash you collected from sites other then your own property is illegal in most places.

StihlMechanic
11-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Back in the day when I first started I was cheap and thought I could compost yard debris in my back yard. What a joke. Now I charge for disposal and take the crap to the dump when ever possible. I try like hell to dump debris at the HO property if in a rural area, wooded lots, ect. Anything to keep my truck and trailer clean and not handle waste is my practice now. I charge for time and the dump fees, $50 per trailer load, which is cheap for the client.

PlantscapeSolutions
11-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Most of our trimming type debris is bagged with the Husky 3 mil bags. We put two slip knots in the bags so we can quickly dump them out and reuse them. This allows us to have packaged waste on hand that is easy store and load back up when we have enough to justify a dump run. I charge $3.95 a bag for disposal.

My cost is 50 cents a bag but we may use a bag five times. I have to pay for fuel to get to the composting site but no tipping fee. I usually take about 150 bags and a little bulk debris at a time. I probably turn a $600 profit for each dump run.

32vld
11-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Exactly why am I going to waste gas to drive every day (It's in Mchenry, so it's about 20 miles away not 5 like I said originally) Not everyone has a landfill right next door (they were going to put in a transfer station a few years back, but that got killed, I really wanted one too. woulda been 3 min from my house)

And yes, I do know who called and I'm not surprised (I know who called because the woman's son goes to school with my younger brother. He told him.)

For this pile at least, it will be burned this weekend.

You complain about that it takes up too much time to go to the dump every day. Yet you will unload and reload for free at your own house.

Leaves. What kind of leaves are you smoking?

Also if you are not builing in the cost to haul to the dump then you are not charging enough.

If you are then stop complaining that you are being expected to do for the customer what the customer has paid you to do.