PDA

View Full Version : start irrigation class tomorrow

beachtownlawnservice
11-17-2011, 08:25 PM
well I'm all signed up and starting my basic irrigation course tomorrow. the class is being taught by Dave McCullough (irrigationclass.com) in Houston tx. I can honestly say i know absolutely nothing about irrigation at all. And i have no intentions or plans on going out trying to bid installs or designs anytime in the near future. i am only taking this class to gain some knowledge on these systems and taking the next step to becoming a better lawn care provider. i have learned a lot from lawnsite and there is some real pro's on here that shared a lot of information and tips that have really helped me along. I am new to the the irrigation forum and hoping to be able to ask some questions now and then to help me through what i have read is one tough course.

Thanks
mike.

Mike Leary
11-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Pay attention, take notes, ask questions and avoid too many donuts.

bcg
11-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Dave is a good guy, he's been in the industry a long time.

Sprinkus
11-17-2011, 09:46 PM
That reminds me, I gotta renew my license soon. I sure don't want to take the class and test again:laugh:!

txirrigation
11-17-2011, 09:53 PM
well I'm all signed up and starting my basic irrigation course tomorrow. the class is being taught by Dave McCullough (irrigationclass.com) in Houston tx. I can honestly say i know absolutely nothing about irrigation at all. And i have no intentions or plans on going out trying to bid installs or designs anytime in the near future. i am only taking this class to gain some knowledge on these systems and taking the next step to becoming a better lawn care provider. i have learned a lot from lawnsite and there is some real pro's on here that shared a lot of information and tips that have really helped me along. I am new to the the irrigation forum and hoping to be able to ask some questions now and then to help me through what i have read is one tough course.

Thanks
mike.

Sounds like your going about it the right way. You will think you know everything after the class, but you will learn fast there is a lot they do not cover.

Study your local install codes and regs carefully, sub out your first system but be on site the whole time to learn.

txgrassguy
11-18-2011, 02:55 PM
I took my class from Dave over eleven years ago when I moved to Texas.
He and I got along well, teaches with no ego and has a wealth of experience.
I would suggest, however, that you do not over look acquiring your license.
Remember, the more diversified your service offering is the more economically stable your business model remains.

Mike Leary
11-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Remember, the more diversified your service offering is the more economically stable your business model remains.

Yup, service and backflow will get you through times of no installs. I never got into any other part of the biz, though, (rockwalls, etc.), because I depended on those guys for referrals, and I reciprocated. If you like sprinklers, do them, let the rest do what they do best. I once had a landscape install sub that said, "we do sprinklers, too, but not as good as you."

beachtownlawnservice
11-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Well that was the most intense 40hrs of my life. I had know idea how hard that class was going to be. especially not knowing anything at all about irrigation to begin with. I tell you one thing dave McCullough is a irrigation genius. I didn't think i was going to make it, But I DID!!! passed the class, got my certificate of completion, looking forward on spending every free moment burying my head in this book. NOT!!!! state test December 13....:hammerhead:

Sprinkus
11-22-2011, 08:09 AM
looking forward on spending every free moment burying my head in this book

That's the best advice you could give yourself if you want to pass on the first try.

mitchgo
11-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Wish ithey had the test up here. That way I can put my knowledge on paper . Any online test / certs out there ?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
11-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Wish ithey had the test up here. That way I can put my knowledge on paper . Any online test / certs out there ?

What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?

Wet_Boots
11-22-2011, 09:55 AM
forty-two!

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Did David bring up the importance of having a remote?

Seriously though best of results on your test. I like the way you are going about it.
Fimco-Meister LI-655 My goal is to be the oldest living Texas irrigator with the lowest number. Have a High School buddy that is 653 so if he ever croaks I'll start researching.

txirrigation
11-25-2011, 05:25 AM
Did David bring up the importance of having a remote?

Seriously though best of results on your test. I like the way you are going about it.
Fimco-Meister LI-655 My goal is to be the oldest living Texas irrigator with the lowest number. Have a High School buddy that is 653 so if he ever croaks I'll start researching.

A close friend of mine's Dad has an LI in the 40's. He isnt dieing any time soon. His brother also has an LI in the 100's, both of them are in their 50's.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Maybe they'll quit renewing. That is the same thing as death. They must have gotten theirs the year before me or got grandfathered in.

Aggie game last night bout made me sick. That game summarized the history of that contest. Thought the personal foul at the end was a cheap azz call.

txirrigation
11-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Maybe they'll quit renewing. That is the same thing as death. They must have gotten theirs the year before me or got grandfathered in.

Aggie game last night bout made me sick. That game summarized the history of that contest. Thought the personal foul at the end was a cheap azz call.

haha.. A&M got a call just like it in the first half that lead to a T down. So I would say that is even.... and this is coming from a Sooner

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-28-2011, 10:38 AM
True....BUT timing is everything. Just like the BCS a loss at the beginning of the year is not nearly as detrimental as a loss at the end of the year. If the ref felt he needed to do a makeup call then the end of the game isn't the place to do it.

Regardless the Aggies did what they did all year. Dominate in the first half and choke in the second. Now that they are moving to the SEC my hope is that TX HS football players will flock to them in mass for the chance to take on the SEC.

Wet_Boots
11-28-2011, 11:47 AM
BCS = Boring Crap Sports