PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Help

Big Scott
11-18-2011, 09:21 AM
I have been cutting lawns part time for 8 years now. I want to be legal and insure my bussiness. I do not know how much insurance to get to protect myself as well as be able to bid on commercial property. Any advice and or direction would be appreciated.

Darryl G
11-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Wow, 8 years without insurance! I have a 1mil/2mil aggregate policy with Peerless Insurance Co.

One thing you should keep in mind...and this goes for everyone....if you are using your personal car/truck for work and do not have an endorsement on the policy for commercial use of it, any claims while working will likely be denied.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Darryl is right on. GL mins are generally 1mil/2mil and you will want that at min.
You can probably continue to insure your vehicle on your personal auto policy as long as you get it rated for business use, make sure you tell your agent about that. Otherwise go for a commercial auto policy. And don't forget an Inland Marine policy for your valuable equipment.

Gatewayuser
11-21-2011, 07:55 PM
I have 2 mil and 4 mil agg., workers comp and also have a 1 mil on my commercial vehicles.
Most commercial accounts do require 1 million and workers comp.
Glad you're getting insurance, about time, now you will actually own a business.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-21-2011, 10:30 PM
I have been cutting lawns part time for 8 years now. I want to be legal and insure my bussiness. I do not know how much insurance to get to protect myself as well as be able to bid on commercial property. Any advice and or direction would be appreciated.

You say you want to be legal but there is no law that states you have to have business insurance. So you are legal however not having it is just plain dumb. At any time and this time may never come but if it does you can be sued out of existence and everything you worked for up till now can be taken away.

So look up the threads on this site about insurance get the names people speak well of and start calling these companies and get some quotes. Ask questions and ask for advice too explain what it is you do and don't hide stuff from them.

Darryl G
11-22-2011, 08:08 AM
I found it hard to get insurance when I first started out. Most insurance companies want a minimum of 3 years experience and/or claims history before they will insure you. I was able to convince National Grange Mutual that my prior work experience in another field was applicable experience. Just make sure you know what you're covered for and what you are not.