PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping in FL

prismila
11-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi everybody,
I want to start a landscaping business. I have been working for a landscaping company for about 3 years and pretty much know how to do things on my own now. I work in maryland but Im not sure if I should open the business here or if I should move to FL. I really want to live in Fl but I think that the market is more saturated there then in MD and that the smartest decision would stay in MD. What you guys think??I wanted to go to central FL somewhere near orlando. Any ideas??Any help??Is there anyone here from this area that could help me out?
Thanks

Patriot Services
11-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Check the big Florida forum section here. Many threads on why you shouldn't come to Florida and start a landscape company. Sorry.
Posted via Mobile Device

billslawn89
11-18-2011, 03:55 PM
ditto on what patriot said!

Florida Gardener
11-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Check the big Florida forum section here. Many threads on why you shouldn't come to Florida and start a landscape company. Sorry.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hahaha, yup. Stay in Maryland.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
11-18-2011, 07:05 PM
I feel a little bad, that was their very first post.

Damn! Gotta go, more zombie northern LCO's banging on the door.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
11-18-2011, 07:46 PM
I feel a little bad, that was their very first post.

Damn! Gotta go, more zombie northern LCO's banging on the door.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hahaha, nice callback.
Posted via Mobile Device

bflawns
11-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Live and work where you wanna! FLA, USA ROCKS! Always room for a lil' competition, especially if you do things a little or a lot Better! Take lotts of $$$$ for gas and ads tho, it won't be cheap to start, but persistance does pay off, trust this old-timer, do it now.

Florida Gardener
11-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Live and work where you wanna! FLA, USA ROCKS! Always room for a lil' competition, especially if you do things a little or a lot Better! Take lotts of $$$$ for gas and ads tho, it won't be cheap to start, but persistance does pay off, trust this old-timer, do it now.

Yea, work where you want, BUT, Florida is a different animal. The summers are ballbreakers and we have more competition than any other state. If the OP wants to go for it he should, but just understand he is going up against the masses.
Posted via Mobile Device

bflawns
11-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Yea, work where you want, BUT, Florida is a different animal. The summers are ballbreakers and we have more competition than any other state. If the OP wants to go for it he should, but just understand he is going up against the masses.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh, yeah, I totally agree, thats why I said take lots of cash. You gotta have staying power wherever you go. But I love FLA, and will retire there, not move my biz.But if this guys young enough and empowered w/$$ he should go for it, I think prosperity is a state of mind, and not a state of the union. Am I being too naive for my age?

Patriot Services
11-18-2011, 10:37 PM
The key to being sucessful down here is not throwing a bunch of money at advertising or thinking a big shiny setup will get you customers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
11-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Oh, yeah, I totally agree, thats why I said take lots of cash. You gotta have staying power wherever you go. But I love FLA, and will retire there, not move my biz.But if this guys young enough and empowered w/$$ he should go for it, I think prosperity is a state of mind, and not a state of the union. Am I being too naive for my age?

No, I actually agree with you. Anyone can be successful if they have the drive, good work ethic, are honest, and have the funds to move along. I actually want to move out to Cali and start a biz out there. Florida is justso different from the north. Far less competition up there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
11-18-2011, 10:49 PM
The key to being sucessful down here is not throwing a bunch of money at advertising or thinking a big shiny setup will get you customers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Very true. I also think a professional image goes a long way down here cause there are so many jokers.
Posted via Mobile Device

bflawns
11-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Business here in Ga. is also year 'round and competition is tough. But there ain't nothing wrong with having a shiny set-up and plenty of advertising bucks. Its worked for me for thirty-three years. I'm sure Fla is a tough nut to crack, but if you don't like summer heat and competition (and mosquitoes, and bees and etc.) you are in the wrong biz to start with.