PDA

View Full Version : Fall cleanup question

pattytastik
11-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Do fall cleanups typically include raking out garden beds that have leaves in them? I gave a price for a fall cleanup and they accepted it. I just got an email from them saying that all of the leaves fell and they just want to make sure that we clean the leaves out of the beds. I guess I was just thinking of raking/mowing the lawn. Is this common?

TNGrassCutter
11-18-2011, 12:59 PM
I get all the leaves. Blow out beds, porches, driveways, carports, decks, shrubs, and everything in between.
Posted via Mobile Device

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
11-18-2011, 01:30 PM
99.9% of leaves, sticks, and other organic debris gone from entire property.

nightshutter
11-18-2011, 01:52 PM
absolutely. That would look bad to get the leaves off the lawn and leave the beds all messy. when I give a price for leaf removal i inspect the beds and anywhere there are leaves. That goes into the total cost of the removal.

Ijustwantausername
11-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Yea as the above guys said, everything around the perimeter of the house (other than the roof) gets leaf removal. You may want to get back with them and tell them that the beds weren't included in the price if its going to really take you a while and cause you to lose money. Otherwise, just learn to include it from now on.

Patriot Services
11-18-2011, 02:18 PM
This is something you should of hashed out when you were bidding the job. Getting ALL the customers expectations before you bid will keep you from losing money and having a dissatisfied customer.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArTurf
11-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Do fall cleanups typically include raking out garden beds that have leaves in them? I gave a price for a fall cleanup and they accepted it. I just got an email from them saying that all of the leaves fell and they just want to make sure that we clean the leaves out of the beds. I guess I was just thinking of raking/mowing the lawn. Is this common?

If the beds are going to take a significant amount of extra time that you didn't account for in your estimate I would explain it to the customer. As you have already figured out make sure if they want the beds cleaned out or not before giving a price. Understand clean ups in general take twice the time if not more in some cases so you need to figure for that.

MOW ED
11-18-2011, 05:38 PM
I don't own a rake but I do blow all the leaves out of the beds. If you are actually raking, you have got to buy a blower.
I would do as above stated, talk to the homeowner if it going to take you a significant amount of time to get the beds done but either way you have to get them done or I will just about guarantee that you won't be doing it next year. The thing is that you have to set a price and do the all the work for the price. If you don't get paid more for the beds and you sink alot of time in then they will expect the same price next year. Not a good deal. Chalk it up to learning. Good Luck.

JDiepstra
11-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Yes get all the leaves from everywhere. I never rake either. Blow everything into the grass and then mulch it with your new mower.

mad87man
11-18-2011, 06:47 PM
I usually just get the leaves off the lawn and then on the last cut i will clean everything up and get the beds.To me its a pain in the ass to blow mulch all over the place and get leaves out every week. Some houses i get them every week depending how big the beds are and if people pay me more. I usually don't charge more for a cleanup.

Lawnut101
11-19-2011, 08:25 PM
That's usually the first thing I ask when I show up. Then they usually ask for a price both ways. Or they just tell me right away that they want all the leaves gone. It's alright, it's a learning experience. Do the job, do it good, and get the word of mouth spreading.

pattytastik
11-19-2011, 08:29 PM
That's usually the first thing I ask when I show up. Then they usually ask for a price both ways. Or they just tell me right away that they want all the leaves gone. It's alright, it's a learning experience. Do the job, do it good, and get the word of mouth spreading.

Yeah that's what I'm going to do. Luckily theirs not too much area that is mulched, so it should only take a little bit extra. I was more curious for the future, what is standard.

Thanks everyone!

larryinalabama
11-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Make the property look as best as you possible can, its likley they will call you next year and you may be able to turn them into a year round customer.

sven1277
11-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Don't forget about decks, behind the garbage cans, the cellar window wells. Everything. Its the wow factor that the customer just paid you several hundred dollars and now their property looks fantastic.

pattytastik
11-21-2011, 09:06 PM
The job went well. We probably were there for about 2.5 hours and maybe half hour of that was spent blowing out the gardens. We undercharged like crazy, not sure what I was thinking, but it was OK for our second cleanup. We will figure out pricing over time.

Grassmaster9
11-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Cleaning out the beds has always been part of leaf clean up in all of my experiences. I have worked for several companies and now have my own business. Raking would be doing it the hard way. If you can invest in a blower it will pay for itself in a short time. I blow the beds from a distance or at a low rpm to avoid blowing the mulch out. If you do get some mulch out you can blow the leaves from the area and then blow the mulch back in. I like my Stihl BR600 blower the best for leaves.

lawnkingforever
11-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Don't forget about decks, behind the garbage cans, the cellar window wells. Everything. Its the wow factor that the customer just paid you several hundred dollars and now their property looks fantastic.

Exactly. Bid the job properly and make the place stand out. Trying to save time and cut corners will cost you referrals and may lead to complaints. Do it right and move on to the next one.
Posted via Mobile Device

ralph02813
11-24-2011, 08:32 AM
clean up is clean up, the real questions is how through of a job does the customer want and expect.

J.T.M.
11-30-2011, 09:12 AM
I live in Northern Michigan, and actually have customers that want me to leave the leaves in the beds as insulation for the winter, also when blowing the leaves from stone beds or soil beds we get all the leaves, however when it comes to beds with mulch or lava rock we blow the bulk of the leaves out without disturbing the mulch or lava rock. Then in the Spring we do a thorough job. the reasoning for this is that the beds have to be gone over again in the spring anyway, so your only blowing half as much mulch out as you would have if you were to totally clean them out in the fall too

Smallaxe
11-30-2011, 08:10 PM
I live in Northern Michigan, and actually have customers that want me to leave the leaves in the beds as insulation for the winter, also when blowing the leaves from stone beds or soil beds we get all the leaves, however when it comes to beds with mulch or lava rock we blow the bulk of the leaves out without disturbing the mulch or lava rock. Then in the Spring we do a thorough job. the reasoning for this is that the beds have to be gone over again in the spring anyway, so your only blowing half as much mulch out as you would have if you were to totally clean them out in the fall too

Me too... Do not disturb the mulch in the beds but if it's dry you can remove some of the debris, however bed cleanup is best left until Spring for 2 mahor reasons...

Of course everyone has their individual desires and quantity of leave and seasons to deal with. One size doe not fit all... :)