PDA

View Full Version : Advertising degree wants to get into heavy landscaping

RightLawnsKY
11-19-2011, 02:11 AM
hey guys its been a while since i have been in here. im more than half way through my advertising/marketing/ graphic design degree with will be a bs. I would highly like to take on construction i.e. decks, patios, drives ways lawns irrigation(maybe) would this degree help me after i get a well paying job. i would like to do it on the side LEGALLY! then eventually do everything lawn, snow, plants, decks, patios, drive ways.. I really shoot my goals high. What do you guys think since you are pro's??? i want to be the biggest in KY by the time im 40, im 22 now.

CL&T
11-19-2011, 02:45 PM
It will certainly help you to promote your company. Unfortunately then you will actually have to do the work. What qualifications do you have for that? Or do you think you are going to be one of those entrepreneurs who sit on their ass behind a desk and hire staff to do all that kind of stuff while you watch the money roll in.:dizzy:

GreenI.A.
11-19-2011, 04:00 PM
I'll say this, the largest companies that I know in the Boston Area, the owners do not have any type of hort/landscape/design degrees. They all have marketting and business degrees, and a good understanding of the business from working for other companies for years while they were in school. The way they got big was to hire people with the green industry degrees and experience to work for them and they concentrated on the business aspect.

The way they approached it is like someone openning a resteraunt. You don't need to know how to cook, you can hire a chef to do that for you, you can hire aG,M to run the resteraunt for you. But you need to have some understanding of the business so that way you can work with them to grow your business.

All that being said, obviously it will take alot longer to establish a landscape company than a resteraunt.

CL&T
11-19-2011, 10:14 PM
I'll say this, the largest companies that I know in the Boston Area, the owners do not have any type of hort/landscape/design degrees. They all have marketting and business degrees, and a good understanding of the business from working for other companies for years while they were in school. The way they got big was to hire people with the green industry degrees and experience to work for them and they concentrated on the business aspect.

They were also very rich or were able to convince investors to invest in their startup business. That isn't going to happen today.

GreenI.A.
11-19-2011, 11:37 PM

They were also very rich or were able to convince investors to invest in their startup business. That isn't going to happen today.

Nope, the three that come to mind all started out small, as they were able to start hiring employees they hired guys with more experience than them. Two of them actually started together as partners, but as the business grew they ended up seperating into two seperate businesses, one only doing residential the other doing only commercial

CL&T
11-20-2011, 02:05 AM
... the three that come to mind all started out small, as they were able to start hiring employees they hired guys with more experience than them.

OK, I'll buy that. They started out doing everything themselves and worked up to where they could hire employees. That means that they had the skills to do the work, not just some degree.

GreenI.A.
11-20-2011, 04:24 PM
... the three that come to mind all started out small, as they were able to start hiring employees they hired guys with more experience than them.

OK, I'll buy that. They started out doing everything themselves and worked up to where they could hire employees. That means that they had the skills to do the work, not just some degree.

In my original post I stated that they had an understanding of the business from working for landscapers while in school. i would never recomend someone jump into this business blindly without work experience, even if they had a degree in hort or landscape design. If someone is planning to own their own landscape co they should work for multiple companies to see what works and doesn't work.

Total Lawn and Sprinkler
11-21-2011, 12:00 PM
You better start marketing your company now. Before you market your company you want to nail down a brand. Without strong branding your business will have a tough time competing in a competitive marketplace even with an investment in marketing. I'd recommend you do three things in this order to start: learn the business, brand your business then promote your business.