PDA

View Full Version : Erosion Control

Lanelle
11-16-2002, 04:19 PM
I have been hearing that new erosion control laws (EPA) are coming soon and that it could create new business opportunities for landscapers. What can you tell me about this?

PAPS
11-16-2002, 06:36 PM
There is a (6) page article on these new erosion control laws in this months "Landscape Management" magazine... I believe you can read it also at there site : www.landscapemanagement.net - hope that helps.

jkelton
11-16-2002, 06:59 PM
The new EPA NPDES Phase II laws take effect March 10, 2003. There are many changes to the laws, but one of the main changes is the fact that any land disturbance over 1 acre will require an erosion control plan, which often includes plans for siltation control. Today, land developers only have to worry about providing erosion control measures for anything over 5 acres. Each municipality will have different thresholds (many I have seen have imposed a 5K sq.ft max for not providing erosion control plan). There are many web sites out there that talk about the upcoming changes - I would recommend EPA website as a starting point:

http://cfpub.epa.gov/npdes/

I am currently in process of offering new products that will provide a more economical, better performing, and environmentally sound alternative to silt fence and standard erosion control mats and netting. We are using engineered mulch and compost that is blown into blankets and berms that provide superior performance while providing a completely organic substance the existing soil structure. This product can be injected with any seed/fertilizer mix at the same time - the compost provides and optimum condition for germination and growth.

I am not aware of any other opportunities for landscapers in erosion control, but if anyone else is, please let us know. Putting up silt fence is fairly labor intensive process, but I have seen 3 point tractor attachments that automate the process. If enforced properly, these new laws will provide new opportunities in the erosion control industry.

Shawn Burns
01-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Has anyone heard anything more about these regulations yet?
I understand that the gov't. is putting some bite into fines, up to $5,000 per day per violation. Seems like you will about have to cover any disturbed area at the end of every day if there is a possibility of any weather coming in overnight.

ksss
01-22-2003, 12:11 AM
I have also been looking in to getting into erosion control because of the new more stringent regulations. I bought two great books on the subject "Designing for Effective Sediment and Erosion Control on Construction Sites" and "Best Management Practices for Contractors and Inspectors". These are great references on the subject. I am not sure if I will get into it or not. However, there is going to be a market there. Once General Contractors and Developers find out the penalty for noncomplience, they are going to be looking for help. The fines are as follows: Negligent Violations: $2,500 to $50,000 per day for each violaiton and or imprisonemnt for 1-2 years. Knowing violations: $5000 to $100,000 per day for each violation and or jail time for 3-6 years. Knowing endangerment $250,000 to $1 million and or jail time for 15 years. False statements: $10,000 to $20,000 and or imprisonment for 2-4 years. The stakes are high.:dizzy: