PDA

View Full Version : Hunter factory/campus pics

hunterpreferred
11-19-2011, 02:08 PM

233849Hey guys, I just got back from the Hunter factory in San Diego. Wanted to share a few pics with all of you. The pics do not do it justice and keep in mind these are cell phone pics. This place is amazing.

Wet_Boots
11-19-2011, 02:32 PM
"Where are all the strippers?" :p

Mike Leary
11-19-2011, 03:06 PM
I'd rather see pics of the Imperial factory in Lenexa, Kansas. :clapping:

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
11-19-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm amazed that they let you take those. Most companies have a no cameras allowed policy on those kinds of tours!

Wet_Boots
11-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Nice to see they kept the old turntable PGP assembly platform. :)

hunterpreferred
11-19-2011, 04:18 PM
They have come a long way from assembling PGP's by hand at that assembly station.
The first thing they said was feel free to take pictures, none of the pictures are very telling of anything.

Wet_Boots
11-19-2011, 04:24 PM
What impressed me at my visit, was the production equipment, that was built, rather than purchased. They looked much more compact than molding equipment that I remembered.

hunterpreferred
11-19-2011, 04:45 PM
What impressed me at my visit, was the production equipment, that was built, rather than purchased. They looked much more compact than molding equipment that I remembered.

I agree, it's incredible how much time and engineering goes into making the molds and creating products from scratch. Was the new distribution center built yet when you visited the facility? 140k square foot solar powered building is impressive.

Wet_Boots
11-19-2011, 05:02 PM
It was the co-generation that was featured back when I visited. The in-house-designed production equipment was attributed to the fact, that with personnel making molds having free time, it made sense for them to them to create some molding equipment.

Mike Leary
11-19-2011, 05:18 PM
It was Ed Hunter, after all his years with Toro, that decided "build-from-scratch-in-house" was the way. He pioneered many innovations, including the "Stream-Rotor"; a hell of a nice guy, and I miss him. :)

hoskm01
11-20-2011, 04:46 PM
What day were you there? I popped in on Thursday for the MP presentation and was there most of the day on Friday. Probably saw you there. I was told the group was from the Boston/ R.I. area.

Mike Leary
11-20-2011, 05:17 PM
What day were you there? I popped in on Thursday for the MP presentation and was there most of the day on Friday. Probably saw you there. I was told the group was from the Boston/ R.I. area.

Did you get a hat and tee-shirt, Matt?

jbell36
11-20-2011, 07:39 PM
I'd rather see pics of the Imperial factory in Lenexa, Kansas. :clapping:

i'm very close to lenexa, what is so great about this factory? i might have to check it out...

Mike Leary
11-20-2011, 07:47 PM
i'm very close to lenexa, what is so great about this factory? i might have to check it out...

I'm afraid, it's "what was so great". I think Storm or Buckner bought them out years ago and dropped the line. They were a small, very cool, family-owned business going toe- to- toe with Weather-Matic in those days. Do some checking and take a pic for us of what is at the factory location now. Any info you have about the family would be appreciated; I still have a "Imperial" hat.:clapping:

jbell36
11-20-2011, 08:11 PM
i'll keep that in mind and try to check it out this winter...it's about a 25 minute drive from my house

jbell36
11-20-2011, 08:30 PM
was it the "Imperial Underground Sprinkler Co.?"

Mike Leary
11-20-2011, 08:42 PM
It was (and still is, to me):

hunterpreferred
11-20-2011, 10:49 PM

You sure did. I was there Thursday.

hoskm01
11-21-2011, 01:45 AM
You sure did. I was there Thursday.
Small world, though you wont find this on "missed connections" on Craigslist.

Pretty cool place. What did you think of the factory etc? Heard you all were out the night before for some tasty beverages. Sorry to miss that.

hunterpreferred
11-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Small world, though you wont find this on "missed connections" on Craigslist.

Pretty cool place. What did you think of the factory etc? Heard you all were out the night before for some tasty beverages. Sorry to miss that.

I thought it was great. I was surprised to see how much time and cost goes into developing each product. They seem to really treat there employees well too. We talked to several factory workers on our way through, all of them seemed happy and many had been there for over 10 years and had a lot of good things to say about the Hunter family.

I packed it in early on Wednesday night, some guys went all out and they were definately paying for it during the tour. It was a great trip.

sprinklerchris
11-21-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm afraid, it's "what was so great". I think Storm or Buckner bought them out years ago and dropped the line. They were a small, very cool, family-owned business going toe- to- toe with Weather-Matic in those days. Do some checking and take a pic for us of what is at the factory location now. Any info you have about the family would be appreciated; I still have a "Imperial" hat.:clapping:

I believe Imperial founder Lee Caviar and wife Betty are alive and reside in Palm Springs, son Robert lives near their old plant. http://www.google.com/patents/about/5210376_Sealed_electrical_connection_dev.html?id=MjgdAAAAEBAJ.

Wet_Boots
11-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Ooh! Track him down and get the hat autographed. :)

Mike Leary
11-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Ooh! Track him down and get the hat autographed. :)

Just might do that, I always wondered how a little company in Kansas became the choice of high-end contractors.

Wet_Boots
11-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Maybe I can get a gold signature on a NOS Valet controller and auction it as a collector item :)

Mike Leary
11-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Their claim to fame was the "dual common" clock. Actually, two programs, but we did not know about programs in those days. The Sherman Tank of clocks, to be sure, reverse-flow valves, brass nozzles: no wonder I keep the hat carefully stored, only worn on special occasions. Sure turned some old-timers heads when I wore it to I.A. :clapping:

Wet_Boots
11-21-2011, 08:36 PM
I used to wear a Moody hat, but I got tired of everyone telling me to cheer up.