PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using toyota tacomas for work ?

Green surfer 1
11-19-2011, 04:24 PM
I was wondering if anybody here is using toyota tacomas v6 4wd auto trans w/ access or 4dr. cabs for work ? i am interested to know what size trailer you can pull up to ? Your fuel mpg ? I am interested in obtaining a 2009 -2011 series truck. i presently run much heavier trucks for work but looking at the option of running a extra smaller truck this new 2012 season as a versatile truck for myself an family. I have heard alot of excellent talk of them but seek info from any lawn operators out there. Thanks for the info an help!!:weightlifter:

buttaluv
11-20-2011, 11:09 AM
I've thought about it,from what I understand from talking to people with them, my 1/2 ton Gmc with the 4.8 does about as good as the tacoma's on fuel mileage and it's quite a bit bigger truck....I did pickup a quad cab 3/4 ton chevy with the 6.0, cause my 1/2 ton is just a little too light for some stuff, you talk about gas hog! i don't drive that thing unless I have too!

knox gsl
11-20-2011, 11:31 AM
There's a company here in Knoxville that runs Tacos for route work pulling 6X12 trailers. They must have 4 or 5 of them. They are mostly 2wd single cabs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Toy2
11-20-2011, 12:19 PM
In 05 I used my 96 Tacoma, SR5 to pull my 6x12 enclosed, did okay, but fuel mileage was crappy, about 12mpg. It gets about 19 around here empty.

It pulls my 16' TopHat at least once a month, lumber runs, landscape runs.

Last run I had about 2 yards of 3/4 crushed stone, wet, almost blew a stop light as it is not equipped with brakes.......scared the heck out of me.

IMHO, use a bigger truck, and yes I love my Toy, 92K and still going strong...:)

Green surfer 1
11-20-2011, 05:46 PM
So is a 6 x 12 the biggest trailer the Tacoma can pull safely w/ trailer brakes ? I was also curious about using alum. built trailers as an option.

KrayzKajun
11-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Those truckas are not made to be pulling trailers on a daily basis. Pulling isn't the problem its stopping the load u have behind the truck!even with trailer brakes. A bigger truck pulling a smaller load will get better mileage and last longer than a small truck being pushed to its limits or beyond.
Posted via Mobile Device

Toy2
11-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Those truckas are not made to be pulling trailers on a daily basis. Pulling isn't the problem its stopping the load u have behind the truck!even with trailer brakes. A bigger truck pulling a smaller load will get better mileage and last longer than a small truck being pushed to its limits or beyond.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agree with this statement^^^^^^, my enclosed did not have brakes, truck did the job, but it took some life out of it.

I have a 4 x 6 open trailer that I use to haul the 36'' around if needed, no issues with that.

The TopHat 16' is still used, just ''as needed''.

Good luck!!

Green surfer 1
11-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Well thanyou all for the feedback , I guess it comes down to if i only use it to do some work periodically it would be all right. But onthe other hand daily work /towing is going to put me in hot water. I think i will also look into the option of a all aluminum built open trailer for carrying mowers for a tacoma. In the mean time the more research on this subject will influence my outcome on what i will do.

LBA1999
11-20-2011, 11:23 PM
I have heard V6 tacomas get about the same as a 1/2 ton truck. As far as towing and hauling A tacoma would probably be fine everyday if you were pulling say a 5x10 with a WB on it, but they are not for heavy pulling all the time, only occasional. A tacoma is a tough truck, though. At my hunting club, they have a 90 something toyota truck thats been to hell and back. Its pulled and hauled WAY more than it should have and it has a ton of miles on it its still going.

As far as the aluminum trailer thing, I can tell you you will not be sorry about getting a quality aluminum trailer even if you do not get a tacoma. I am in property management and I drive a lot of miles and only need a mower occasionally usually just some tools so I downsized from a GMC 1500 2wd 4.8 V8 and my 6.5x17 aluminum landscape trailer to a minivan and a 5.5x10 aluminum trailer. I will always own an aluminum trailer. My first on (17') I bought because it weighed THE SAME as the 6.5x12 single axle it replaced and had twice the load capacity and brakes. That trailer was an ADAM (horse trailer maker) and I'm not sure if they make these anymore but it was great and it had an aluminum floor so no boards to replace. It was great to haul my compact tractor in the winter and not worrying about salt rusting the trailer. I did sell it because I had larger trucks and big steel trailers that sat all the time (need them for heavy loads) and I downsized to a Aluma trailer. The model is 6810H and it is the perfect size. It is top quality all the way. all led lights. fully sealed one piece wiring harness, bi fold gate, #3000 torsion axle, aluminum floor, and polished aluminum rims. This trailer is much better built then my old aluminum trailer. It only weighs like 500#. I can go to the back corner when it is hooked up to a vehicle and lift one side off the ground by myself. Yet it can still haul 2500#(I have tested this limit many times.) I would highly recommend Aluma if you are looking for a trailer. Cost isn't bad, either. I would say a little less than 2x the price of a steel trailer of comparable quality. Not bad considering higher load capacity, zero maintenance, and it will last a lifetime. I can haul my ZD326 and 44" toro t bar behind my minivan and I'm still within the towing capacity and the capacity of the trailer. (I don't do this daily, just a ten mile round trip once a week.) Long story short, buy an Aluma, you will not be sorry!

baldoni
11-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Maybe look at an f150 if you are looking for that type of vehicle. The price and fuel use wont be that different between them. The newer tacoma trucks actually have plastic for the bed. Not metal. Look under the bedliner, the actual bed is made from plastic. I have no idea what it can tow, but was surprised when I saw the plastic bed.

Green surfer 1
11-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Yes I have heard a lot about the all aluminum trailers as they are very good. I did use a friend of mines once w/zero turns on it, and was surprised of the handling it felt as if there was no trailer on the back of one of our 1/2 picups. I didn't know that the beds on the tacomas are plastic, that does not sound practical. i have not looked at one thoroughly at a dealer lot yet but i will soon. Most of my work is done with either 1 ton picups or dump trucks.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-21-2011, 09:42 PM
A V-6 Tacoma IMO just isn't going to have any guts to pull larger loads. I run a V8 Dakota and feel comfortable with a med sized enclosed, but any bigger and a full sized truck is warranted.

CLARK LAWN
11-22-2011, 12:04 AM
BUY AMERICAN OR DON'T CRY WHEN PEOPLE CAN'T AFFORD YOUR SERVICE!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Green surfer 1
11-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Yes you are absolutely right in that respect, but it must consider
today with the economy, some customers can't afford my work as is now!

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
11-29-2011, 09:22 AM
BUY AMERICAN OR DON'T CRY WHEN PEOPLE CAN'T AFFORD YOUR SERVICE!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Educate yourself. The modern Toyota Trucks are more American than many "American" trucks.

I have an 05 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed V6 4x4.

I pull a 5x10 Open Trailer with WalkBehinds for my Lawn Business.
I pull an 18' Open Car Hauler with a Race car or Show car on 1-2 times a month.

On Route I get 16-18 MPG all city.
Pulling the cars I get 13-15 MPG Mixed.

The Tacoma does it just fine. Trailer Brakes are a HUGE help.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff101/kduongphotography/4a0d2419.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff101/kduongphotography/7b344fd2.jpg

The Tacoma pulls both trailers 100x better than my 3/4 Ton Chevy did...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff101/kduongphotography/421d565b.jpg
(Yes, I know the trailer is loaded improperly here. It was a 3 mile ride...)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-29-2011, 04:30 PM
IDK, with Toyota's slew of quality problems in the last several years, I just am not going to look at their products.

Green surfer 1
11-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Educate yourself. The modern Toyota Trucks are more American than many "American" trucks.

Your Tacoma is exactly what i am looking at purchasing. I have heard that their is a Toyota plant in the USA and being produced by Americans for Americans. I am all for USA products but sometimes you just need to look at other options. How is this truck going up hills with the trailer in tow ?

jsslawncare
11-29-2011, 07:23 PM

I find that hard to believe....And no I'm not a Chevy guy but, still.

RGM
11-30-2011, 07:44 PM
I'll go out with my Ford Ranger v6 4.0 4x4 pulling a 12.5 ft trailer with a zero turn and a push mower or a 48'' walk behind and a push and my equipment no problem pulling the weight but the front disc pads do wear out quicker.

Tom'sLandscapeDesign
12-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Your Tacoma is exactly what i am looking at purchasing. I have heard that their is a Toyota plant in the USA and being produced by Americans for Americans. I am all for USA products but sometimes you just need to look at other options. How is this truck going up hills with the trailer in tow ?
Ours is a NUMMI built truck. I waited an extra 6 weeks to get it over a Mexican built truck when I bought it new.

Up long grades pulling the car the trans starts hunting so you have to downshift. Pretty much the only place Ive had this was on I84 in Connecticut just south of the Massachusetts border..

My truck has the Factory Tow package with the Heavy Duty Alternator and Battery, Hitch, 7-pin wiring, Prewired for the Brake Controller and Trans and Oil Coolers.

I do need upgrade the leaves in the back. The factory leaves suck. This was revised with a TSB but I missed out on it. Pulling the car with a bed full of tools and tires, I find the bumpstops more than Id like.

I find that hard to believe....And no I'm not a Chevy guy but, still.
What would I have to gain by exaggerating?

I bought the Chevy to keep the wear and tear off my Tacoma, esp pulling the bigger load.

Pulling the Mowing trailer it wasnt too bad. Pulling the car was just downright scary...the only time I tried to pull the car with the Chevy I turned around 4 miles away from home to switch trucks.

Gas mileage was terrible, too. Im talking 13-14 empty if Im lucky, in the single digits with the trailer in tow.

Perhaps there was something wrong with my truck. It went to multiple different mechanics who could not find an issue.

I sold the truck for a $900 loss after 4 months.

Exact Rototilling
12-08-2011, 11:51 AM
As for the rear suspension just install an airbag system. Problem solved.
Posted via Mobile Device

Capemay Eagle
12-09-2011, 06:31 PM
You can get a Full size 2011/2012 Ford F150 with a 3.7 V6 making around 300hp and in the 16-21 mpg range. And get this! It is headquartered and built in the USA!

hosejockey2002
12-09-2011, 11:20 PM
I bought the Chevy to keep the wear and tear off my Tacoma, esp pulling the bigger load.

Pulling the Mowing trailer it wasnt too bad. Pulling the car was just downright scary...the only time I tried to pull the car with the Chevy I turned around 4 miles away from home to switch trucks.

Might be because the Chevy is 20ish years old with lots and lots of miles on it? My 2005 Chevy 2500HD is not scary at all with a trailer and drives great with loads that would break a Tacoma in half. Try pulling your car with 2500 pounds of gravel in the bed and see what scary really is.

rfsseohio
01-14-2012, 03:48 PM
American truck does not actually mean American anymore these days. I have Tundra that was built in West Virginia while a good amount of Fords and GMs are coming from Mexico or Canada.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Toy-toy's quality problems are really dragging it down. Good reason to to invest in their PU trucks.

Jbh0724
01-15-2012, 06:46 PM
I use a 2003 tacoma double cab pre runner with the v6. It pulls my 5x10 with a 42 Walker Mower, and a 21 honda. it does fine around town but I can really feel the trailer behind me if I try to use the highway. Good to speeds up to 55-60. Gas mileage is 15mpg with a loaded trailer. It gets the job done, but I am looking at upgrading to a 5.3 Gmc or chevy.

Jbh0724
01-15-2012, 06:48 PM

My Tacoma was built in Tennessee.

S-205
01-21-2012, 11:17 PM
My Tacoma pulls a 12x5 periodically, and theres no doubt that they'll need breaks. Mines a standard and will pull a fair amount, its an ext cab 3.4, TRD. That truck and the older toys will outlast most American made trucks, I've seen it over and over again. The newer ones I'm not so sure about.

creativelawns
01-24-2012, 01:58 AM
i use a 2000 tacoma every day for 5 years and still kicking pulled 7x14 trailer full 52 zero walker 48 or write stander would love to have f350 bet love the no car payment thing lol you would be fine it pull as good as my 1999 f150

S-205
01-24-2012, 12:28 PM
I meant to say 12x6 in my last post. They can definitely do a little work but I think they can get worn out too fast if you work them too often. Question, does anyone know if the TRD package changes the gear ration in the axles? I know they often had 31's and come with diff lock which I love by the way. I did an override so my diff lock works in high, and also in 2wd! Fun as heck in the rain and snow!

Davis Landscaping
02-11-2013, 09:42 AM
I have a 99 4runner with auto trans and tow a 7x14 enclosed or a 7x18 open trailer, both dual axles and brakes, and i have a break controller set up to stop, works great. i am either towing 3 full size utility quads to go riding, my mowers, and occasionally my kubota bx2200 tractor with a hoe attachment. it doesnt tow it fast or have a ton of balls, but it tows everything i need and i have not had a problem.