PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chopper problems

crazygator
11-16-2002, 07:34 PM
I currently own a Dixie 60" 26EFI with only 67 hours. I would highly advice everyone to demo, then go buy somewhere else. I have MAJOR problems with it handling hills, and so far they have no true answer.

Plus I posted on their forum about a buy back program, and they have not even allowed it to be viewed. I wonder why Dixie? Having problems and you dont want others to know about, or me and others with this same problem?????

If Dixie has the BALLS to show this lack of customer service, then I would strongly tell anyone looking to go the other way.

I am in no way trying to slam Dixie, but I own this machine and they cannot step up to the plate and correct my and others problems, then there is your answer to everyone......they obviously dont care for me as a customer after they get my money.

General Grounds
11-16-2002, 07:36 PM
:blob3: gator what give you problems machine or engine on the hills, i have a dixie wide track and does a really good job. tony

captdevo
11-16-2002, 07:50 PM
details?????

is it an xf or xw?

whats happening?

Evan528
11-16-2002, 08:13 PM
Me and Wally are having the exact problems with out machines. not only can they not hold a hill for the life of them... but they have no traction at all!!! I am so discusted with my $9,000 purchase I cant even tell you!:angry:

captdevo
11-16-2002, 08:18 PM
what are the problems?

are they sliding? loosing power? crabbing? are they flatlanders?

turfboss tires?

explain......

Evan528
11-16-2002, 08:20 PM
The machine is slidding! My machine is a XW and yes it has BossII tires.

1grnlwn
11-16-2002, 08:21 PM
So what changed? is it the tires? Hill traction only comes down to a couple of factors for all ZTR's. Tire config/pressure ,Wheel base, Track width and weight distribution, and possibly Caster in front wheels. I am interested because I was going to buy DC this spring. Somebody should start a consumer testing program for lawn equip. Somebody with that financial future thing taken care of.

Evan528
11-16-2002, 08:29 PM
I figured the problem was the Boss tires because they are round....just the senter of the tread is in contact with the ground. But Crazy Gator told me he tried the turf saver tires and it hasnt helped the problem. Dont get me wrong here.....theese machines are great for mowing dense healthy turf on flat lawns..... but in any other situation this machine just wreaks havoc....And I dont know about you guys....But not all my lawns are perfectly ideal!

Duncan IN
11-16-2002, 09:22 PM
I bought an xt3000 with the 72 Deck. I used to post on LawnFor#ms.com until one of my posts was deleted. Someone asked in a post "how is your xt3000" I replied with my thoughts and problems with my mower and they deleted my post. I was upset with their decision to delete it, I was giving my opinion on the mower, I think they are trying to cover up by deleting post they do not like.

1grnlwn
11-16-2002, 10:01 PM
Its funny that you own one and can't talk about it, yet everyone can trash say a dixon and only have seen one somewhere. Ya know that other forum? I can't even post, I am a Member and sent e-mails and IM to the Admin and no word back. No wonder why in prime time you go there and there is like 4 people logged on.

Mark

captdevo
11-16-2002, 10:09 PM
add strykers, trailbreakers or field trax, you'll be surprised!!

http://shop.cedarrapidstire.com/tires/carlisle_stryker.gif

trailbreakers
http://shop.cedarrapidstire.com/tires/Wide1.jpg

field trax
http://www.smallenginedistributors.net/feldtrax.jpg

crazygator
11-16-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by 1grnlwn
Somebody should start a consumer testing program for lawn equip. Somebody with that financial future thing taken care of.

This will be looked into. Only if these MFG's are willing for a true test, no bias. No set up for testing day machines. A machine straight off a dealers floor. Only then can we really see where each machine will fit.

Like Evan, I am not slamming Dixie. But if Dixie wants to fix this problem, they can contact us or reply. Nothing said tells a lot. Hide, push this away, edit post's is a sad way for a company to keep a supposed good reputation. These mowers are awesome, on flat ground. 65HOSS will speak on this as well. He has seen my tires skid's, and it aint like mowing on a mountain. So dont even say "You are mowing something too steep".

Exmark and Hustler are the only 2 that are in my future. Excellant customer service and excellant communication. Thank you to both companies for giving us what we want, someone we can trust that wont run away if there is a problem! :)

Evan528
11-16-2002, 10:22 PM
Dave, Have you personally used these tires on a DC? Wich one is best on hills? Tears up turf the least??? Before I dump 200 dollars + into new tires I want to make sure this will help my problem. Do you sell these tires Dave? Thanks, Evan

captdevo
11-16-2002, 10:32 PM
dixies used to use strykers, they worked good (don't know why they quit)

i've used field trax on a few dixies and bladerunners, they do great!! no bull, i have a pair on a xwd2600-60 right now that handles great, plus they are comfortable.

you can get all three at cedar rapids tire (www.cedarrapidstire.com)....i can get 25x13-9 field trax for $60 each delivered

all three will make divots if your not careful (reverse one wheel while turning)

65hoss
11-16-2002, 10:40 PM
I just arrived from GIE in Nashville. I personnally went to Crazygators properties. I've seen the problems and they are serious issues. The slopes are not huge, they should not be problems. I put my Lazer in much worse situations with none of these problems. These are properties that any Z mower should handle without problems. The fact that these mowers are not getting used to make MONEY is a serious problem.

Crazygator spent $200 on new tires just to make sure.

These are not operator error problems either. Evan has many hours behind Z's and if anyone should know there is a problem it would be him.

The fact that Dixie has elected to ignore the problems and leave the guys holding the bag with these expensive machines is bad business.

LawnSmith
11-16-2002, 10:43 PM
i spoke out about my dixie demo early last year and was highly "scolded" for it. eric(god rest his sole) was pretty much the ring leader in telling me i was full of it and it led to me being banned(by him) from lawnsite for about 7 months.

since then, i have ran a few other dixies and came to the same conclusions(which i will keep to myself).

one thing for sure, they are fast machines, they cut well, and they have a good following.

i will never own one.

lee b
11-16-2002, 11:11 PM
{Disclaimer, I have never owned, demoed or even driven a chopper.} But I have sat on a couple and could tell {my personal opinion} their center of gravity is too high off the ground for good slope handling ability. My M665 is built low to the ground, like an Exmark, and can handle slopes very well. A wide wheel track is important, but a low center of gravity is too. Not putting the Dixie Chopper down at all, just something I noticed about them.

1grnlwn
11-17-2002, 12:54 AM
I have mowed slopes with my ferris in which I thought I would fall off . It has not been out of control yet KOW. What is the wheelbase of these choppers? They may have too much weight on the front tires. A ferris is one heavy SOB. If you ever notice a Tank, Lesco, Cub (what ever they are calling it today) they have mounted a big honkin weight under the motor. I knew when I saw it that it was a fix for some poor performance characteristic. Maybe it was hill stability. Does the back slide down the hill or does the machine want to turn down?

Mark

John DiMartino
11-17-2002, 01:22 AM
I know part of the problem is the offset chassis,on paper it sounds good,but in realtiy,it leaves the right rear tire very light,so when you try to turn to the right at the end of a pass,or even try hold a hill that leans to the left,the right rear tire gets light,and skids,you cannot stop the skid usually,the one way out of it is to speed up using the left lever to push forward.This is magnified by the left front tire /castor being tucked in for trimming,this aggravates the right rear tire making it even lighter in all down hill of camber situations.I noticed all these things on my DC,especially when trying to turn around to the right,its very difficult to do without spinning the RR tire in reverse,when turning.The trac vac actually helps and makes it possible to mow faster,since with the engine on that side you have some weight thereand can turn around woith going very slow.The tucked in left front tire also is the cause of the missed strip of grass that Dixies are noted for.

SLS
11-17-2002, 01:45 AM
I had the same feeling on a Dixie that Lee Blount experienced.

When I was shopping for ZTR's I went and tried a Dixie at the local dealer (just drove it arong the lot...no big deal)...but I felt like I was a mile in the air after having demoed a lazer Z, a hustler, a tiger, a M665, a bobcat, and a few others

A few weeks later I was able to actually field test another LCO's Dixie, and got to mow on a couple of hills and ditch sides. I didn't do any REALLY steep grades..nor did I want too. I just felt wierd about the height I was sitting.

I liked everything else about the Dixie (it was actually my first choice) except the deck adjustment.....and the thought of any kind of real grade gave me the willies.

The height of the operator position is the primary reason I went with the Lazer Z instead.

1grnlwn
11-17-2002, 09:28 AM
John, So the wheel base is different on each side? Or is it the relationship of the wheels from the centerline of the machine.

Mark

crazygator
11-17-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by John DiMartino
I know part of the problem is the offset chassis,on paper it sounds good,but in realtiy,it leaves the right rear tire very light,so when you try to turn to the right at the end of a pass,or even try hold a hill that leans to the left,the right rear tire gets light,and skids,you cannot stop the skid usually,the one way out of it is to speed up using the left lever to push forward.

Exact problem. Skid, skid and more skid. Hey Dixie Chopper, what is your answer to our problems and needs? Or are we just stuck, now that you have or money? I dont even own a boat anymore, but I do have a $9000 boat anchor!

Pitiful customer service. What is really sad, it takes all of us together for them to listen. Who knows if they really will try to fix my, evan and others problems, or just try to shut us up.

I KNOW if 1 person posted about a real problem with the Exmark or Hustler guys it would be fixed. One way or the other. Not swept under the rug, like other things little birds have told me with DC.

Everyone please understand, Dixie has not been handling problems that have been posted, plain and simple. Please look at the 2 companies that do offer customer service....EXMARK and HUSTLER!

HOMER
11-17-2002, 12:23 PM
I own 2 of em and the 50" doesn't see much hillside duty!

The 72" will ride anything I've put it on.

I did use a Ferris last year while helping a friend and noticed a huge difference in it's ability to "hug" a hill.

My other mower is a 48" Scag Super Z so the only good mower I have for hills is the 72". I do know that Dixie lowered the seat height 4" to help with the center of gravity. I was thinking that would have helped quite a bit. Mine are both older units 97 and 99 so I didn't get the lowered versions. Might try what LGF did....put a set of rims and tires off a Lazer Z on and see if that helps any.

dhicks
11-17-2002, 01:01 PM
I picked up a 2001 DC 60" 25 HP Kohler on Friday and will be able to demo the unit until next Wednesday. The unit has some wear and tear as a demo unit but it runs great and the cut it leaves is fantastic.

HOWEVER, this machine will put you in a trick-bag or in the hospital pronto because it will not and cannot hold the slightest hill even with the Turf Boss tires. As much as I dislike my Toro Z-Master it will hold hills better than the DC.

I believe that DC makes a quality machine and I really like the engine air filtration and the Amsoil bypass filters. However, this machine is not for me because some of my properties have hills.

Yes the powers that be and the upper crust at the other lawn forum do remove posts that reflect negatively on Dixie Chopper. But there are a few moderators that will fuss and raise all kinds of hell until the thread/posts are restored. If posts are still being deleted at the other site, then shame on them and shame on us moderators for not noticing. :angry:

crazygator
11-17-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by dhicks
HOWEVER, this machine will put you in a trick-bag or in the hospital pronto because it will not and cannot hold the slightest hill even with the Turf Boss tires. As much as I dislike my Toro Z-Master it will hold hills better than the DC.
Yes the powers that be and the upper crust at the other lawn forum do remove posts that reflect negatively on Dixie Chopper. But there are a few moderators that will fuss and raise all kinds of hell until the thread/posts are restored. If posts are still being deleted at the other site, then shame on them and shame on us moderators for not noticing. :angry:

Amen brother!

John DiMartino
11-17-2002, 02:07 PM
1grnlawn,the track width of the mower is 59" wide at the rear tires,but the right rear tire actualy sticks out away from the centerline of the frame a good 5" more than the left rear tire,same with the castors,the RF is sticking out over the center of the discharge spindle,thee LF castor is right in fron ot the overlapped area where the tips overlap of the trim side and center spindle.What this is supposed to do is aloow tighter trimming with the trim side,which is does,and good stabilty on hills that you have the discharge chute downhill on,it also turns around great when turning to the left,but the bad is turns to the right,or hills with trim side down are dangerous,and the whole machine is not balanced,that why the light RR tires spins so easy.The trac vac acually enhances the stabilty y putting the blower engine behind the RR tire,giving it the weight it needs.I can post pics of mine if anyone needs to see what im talking about.I have gotten to know my mower,so i know what it can and cant do,I am careful about what hills i take,and makeing turns to the right.It really doesnt bother me much,the strip it leaves fro mthe trim side castor bothers me much more.

General Grounds
11-17-2002, 02:09 PM
:blob3: wow, cont believe the poor customer service from dixie, sounds like another kawasaki deal. those people feel they built perfect motors and any problems are operator related and dont want to know of anything wrong w/ there motors. sad i was gonna purchase another dixie in the spring, may just have to buy another lazer, there customer service was top notch. i had a problem with the 17 hp kawi on my lazer ( oil in the breather- alot) kawi gave me and the dealer the run around for months, then the dealer suggested i call exmark. kawi fixed the problem in 2 days. sorry to hear of the trouble guys, tony

crazygator
11-17-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by General Grounds
:blob3: wow, cont believe the poor customer service from dixiesorry to hear of the trouble guys, tony

This was posted in Dixie Choppers forum 2 month ago by Evan. No Dixie Chopper customer service person that I am aware of has posted any answer, nor reply for a fix nor even offered any help.

Also, Just last Monday I did get the optional turf saver tires and rims from my Dixie Chopper dealer. No fix with the skid, actually worse, but it does fix the tearing around trees and no divots when turning.

1grnlwn
11-17-2002, 03:24 PM
So if the track is offset to the weight center, one could weigh the difference and add the difference to the light side with a wheel weight and plates hidden somewhere. This might help the situation. I wish I was close to you guys, this sounds like an interesting problem to solve. ( only because I have not shelled out the dough for one and unhappy)

Mark

LAWNGODFATHER
11-17-2002, 03:51 PM
For one the reason you slide down hills with the Dixie tires is they have a rounded sidewall.

Durring the Spring when wet the turf boss tires are better than any other type in wet weather on softer ground. The tread on these is what is holding you to the hill. They dig into the ground.

When drier tires with more squared sidewalls are better. The turf boss will slide right down since the tread can't dig in.

This is an operator and tire issue. Skids are from going into turns to fast and on hills trying to drive with the upper lever and not the lower lever.

Experianced operators will not try to drive on a hill with both steering levers. The lower lever drives you the upper one doesn't do much.

This was my answer. Lazer rims will fit your DC's with 24-12-12 turf master tires from a Lazer.

crazygator
11-17-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
This is an operator and tire issue. Skids are from going into turns to fast and on hills trying to drive with the upper lever and not the lower lever.

Your too much dude, and have NO clue. Ask 65HOSS, he will tell you.

So do you have an answer for Dixie's lack of customer service then? Huh? If they have such a great product, why all of the sudden are these things coming out, and they have no reply, answer or offer any help? Maybe they have been hiding info just to sell mowers.

Also I have never heard 65HOSS tell me he needs some tires to DIG in for spring growth with his Lazer HP, or any others MFG owners that are engineered correctly.

Its all a weight transfer problem. I have proof. And please stop with the Dixie attitude "Its operator error"....OK?

LAWNGODFATHER
11-17-2002, 04:36 PM
Yeah how many posts does DC really answer?

Did you call them?

Did you miss when you read, that I run the same tires that you find on a lazer.

Sliding down hills is 50% tires, 50% operator.

Why am I being to much, this goes for all mowers. I encounter the same excat problem of skids with the Lazers if you try and drive with the upper lever.

LOOSE the turf boss or turf center, or any tires mounted on the 8" rims.

Get rims that came off a Lazer with 24-12-12 turf master tires and 50% of your problems are solved.

The other 50% will come when you get more than 67 hours on the mower.

The tires Captdevo posted I found with my choppers in the past they did more harm than good.

Evan528
11-17-2002, 05:15 PM
I do not think these problems are operater error in the least bit. I havent had any of the above mentioned problems when I used my Toro zmaster. Im just quite tired of flying down a hill front first because this machine just starts sliding side ways....at that point I just steer it straight down the hill an wait to come to a stop at the bottom.....and these are not steep hills im talking about. As a moderator of the "other forum" I can see who is looking at what posts on there. I have seen the Dc rep actually reading my thread yet not take the time to respond......:angry:

Nick
11-17-2002, 05:28 PM
Evan, call them, if you posted a problem with a Walker on this forum they would not respond either. As for the other forum try to give them pictures of proof, this will help them suggest something.

Lawngodfather, How is the ride with those tires and how much psi do you put in them? Also that size will raise the rear up 1 inch from the 22 inch boss II's right?

LAWNGODFATHER
11-17-2002, 05:38 PM
What tires do you have Evan? Turf Boss II or III?

How many hours do you guys that "slide" down hills have on these mowers?

The original poster avg. 2.2 hours a week for 30 weeks on his mower.

Does this really generate enough time to get used to the mower?

This aint no DC thing.

Those turf boss tires suck, period.

The rest is the operator.

How many of you did the same things when you got the other ZTR's you had prior?

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU, including me.

Nick;

PSi....don't know, filled them when I put them on the rims till they looked good.

1" taller yes, but I went to these because the turf bosses are $100 each and last 1/3rd of the season, and the ones I put on lasted for over 5000 hours on one of my other ZTR's so I would hope I get close to that out of these.

crazygator
11-17-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Nick
Evan, call them, if you posted a problem with a Walker on this forum they would not respond either.

Nick, this is the very reason I posted these problems here. We have this first posted 2 months ago on Dixie Choppers sponsored site. Now if Walker put out money for a site forum dont you think they would respond?

We are just trying to help others see the real colors of Dixie. Yes, other MFG's have problems too. But they do try to help, one way or another.

crazygator
11-17-2002, 05:41 PM
The original poster avg. 2.2 hours a week for 30 weeks on his mower.

I think you miss the point. If it cannot mow my properties, do you really think I will be stupid enough to continue to tear up my customers turf? DUH! Its a no brainer LGF. It just sits now because of this.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-17-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by crazygator
Nick, this is the very reason I posted these problems here. We have this first posted 2 months ago on Dixie Choppers sponsored site. Now if Walker put out money for a site forum dont you think they would respond?

DID you call your dealer or DC, from your post you just posted about it and expected them to magicly solve all your problems.

Pretty stupid to sell a mower because you didn't get answered on an internet forum that they happen to sponsor.

I told you to buy a Lazer in the begining.

BTW $5 for your hunk of junk.

Nick
11-17-2002, 05:49 PM
hey lawngodfather did you see my ???"S

Evan528
11-17-2002, 05:55 PM
I have over 200 hours on My Dc. And no... I have not had this problem with other new ZTRS....

THIS IS NOT OPERATOR ERROR!!!!!!!!!!

LAWNGODFATHER
11-17-2002, 06:04 PM
hey lawngodfather did you see my ???"S

Nick;

PSi....don't know, filled them when I put them on the rims till they looked good.

1" taller yes, but I went to these because the turf bosses are $100 each and last 1/3rd of the season, and the ones I put on lasted for over 5000 hours on one of my other ZTR's so I would hope I get close to that out of these.

Ghee 2 newer operator are encountering the same problems I did when I got first my DC's back in '94.

People are so small minded.

Since this is to hard for others to comprehend, I am done helping with this subject.

If anyone wants help to solve this e-mail me.

crazygator
11-17-2002, 06:07 PM
Pretty stupid to sell a mower because you didn't get answered on an internet forum that they happen to sponsor.

I quess this is my business and I can buy and sell when I want huh! And Your money is no good with me. Heck you couldnt even afford to come to GIE. :D

Funny about you telling me about the Lazer. I havent even heard you say, nor see any pictures since you got the used Dixie's. I quess you really love it now huh?

And dont try to slam me ok? 65HOSS has seen, ask him. By the way, are you a Dixie rep? If not dont try to solve my problems ok LGF?

LAWNGODFATHER
11-17-2002, 06:31 PM
OK mr smart azz.

We can presume you have not contacted a dealer about this and are going about it the wrong route.

I couldn't go to GIE, nor did I discuss why I couldn't go with anyone so how would you know, since you assume that none of the problems you are having and Evan are not operator error.

Talk to Hoss when was he one? Funny I don't see his name on my buddy list of online people right nor or most of the day I have benn on.

Don't slam you, next time don't tell me to f'off when I am trying to help you.

Open your mind to the possablitly that you are part of the problem, and not the mower that you have put so many (67) hours on.

This thread shows that you wont even consider the possablitly it is part you.

Hey you want to sell you mower go ahead, you wil have the same prolems with any ZTR's mower you buy, cause you just wont listen to what someone else has to say.

BYE BRO.

Now quit :cry: and contact DC by phone.

LawnSmith
11-17-2002, 06:51 PM
FWIW, more and more places locally are dropping dixie chopper all together. most of them say its lack of sales and the others say they arent reliable enough.

a friend of mine in the business picked up a 60" 24hp honda chopper and i promise you, its in the shop at least once a week. he has been through 5 throttle cables, 4 blade engagement "rods", and 1 spindle. this machine has less than 200 hrs on it.

i mowed some of his properties for him while he was away on his honeymoon. i used my equipment but borrowed his helpers. we only did like 9 or 10 props but, most of them if not all, were finished a lot sooner(according to his employees) because we were able to mow hillsides and ditches w/ the TTs where they cant w/ the choppers.

i brought this up to my friend and he flat out said "its not possible to mow those hills or ditches on my machine". he said he would rather it take longer to finish the prop than risk flipping his machine or tearing up turf.

i believe he is checking out the scag TTs for next year, lol.

Shannon Phillips
11-17-2002, 07:10 PM
The only thing I can say is I had a dc until this spring, 200+hours on the unit, I could'nt stopping tearing up the grass, good cut awsome on spring/fall cleanings. Long story short, I got frustrated traded it in for two exmark TT's. Worst thing I have ever done. I never had any problems on hills. As far as service work goes, all I had to do was take it to the shop and they would give me another while they had mine, no questions asked. P.S. it was only in the shop two times. I enjoy this forum, thanks for increasing my knowledge.

captdevo
11-17-2002, 08:05 PM
The tires Captdevo posted I found with my choppers in the past they did more harm than good.

that sounds like "operator error" Mike!!!

i use field trax primarily on choppers!!! and have no problems with hills. or damaging turf!

JEFF ZALMANOFF
11-17-2002, 08:19 PM
I bought a YAZOO KEES ZTR MAX 2 it is super on hills it runs turfmaster tires . it has the lowest center of gravitey of any mower i have seen in its class . i have the susp . seat which puts you lower . it is great . you should try one . jeff

crazygator
11-17-2002, 08:25 PM
I would like to apologize to all Admin, Moderators and other members and readers. It seems like some people know everything and like to ruffle feathers. I am sorry for dropping to this level.

This thread was posted to warn others about the problems with Dixie Chopper. Not to be a spitting contest. And yes the dealer has been contacted.

Please, if anyone is considering buying a Dixie, look at everything else first. A company that sponsors their own web forum that cannot reply to problems, nor offer assistance is lacking a whole lot. I see Exmark and Hustler DO NOT have this problem at this forum.

I will post when I get this problem solved.......and how I really enjoy my other mower! :)

LAWNGODFATHER
11-17-2002, 08:32 PM
So are you ready to listen?

Or do you want to take a big hit on the mower and get a different one?

You ready to loose the attitude, I have done nothing but try to help you with your mower.

Would I try this hard if I wasn't so confident?

I think the one you need to appolgize to is me.

Scag48
11-17-2002, 08:36 PM
I think the moral of the story is to DEMO before you buy, and when you do demo, demo on your props. that have hills, or anything out of the ordinary. Run it through all the "elements". Personally, I think it is BS to not have Dixie Chopper respond to your complaints. I think that anyone selling anything at all should at least back up what they're selling. As LCO's, we're selling our services and we can fix stuff if we screw up, why shouldn't a MFG? It's totally beyond me. Anway, I hope you guys get everything figured out. Good luck!

cantoo
11-17-2002, 08:39 PM
Dixie has been working on the hill climbing and holding problems and have announced a new modification for the older models. It's called the G.O.A.T system and it seems to work really well. It can mulch as well as side discharge on demand. It also consumes less fuel that previous refinements. Dixie dealers will be getting the G.O.A.T.'s in soon and making them available to customers.

SLS
11-17-2002, 08:55 PM
Another nice feature about the G.O.A.T. system is that it fertilizes the turf as it mows. I've also been told that it mulches tin cans, candy wrappers, beer bottles, and other assorted roadside trash automatically. Sounds like a really practical system.

1grnlwn
11-17-2002, 10:30 PM
Crazy! It is obvious to me that DC will not make your mower handle better or admit they have a problem to the public. If they are any kind of company they will fix it in future models. But that really doesn't help your situation. If you plan on keeping the mower I would suggest getting the tire/wheel combo LGF sugested. I don't agree with his operator comments (you know how he gets when he is riled up) But his equip knowledge is solid. It would also be interesting to know the weight diff on each wheel. I don't know if 300 lb bathroom scales are enough or not. But you could jack the back up and slide them in, lower it slowly and see if they will hold. (what mom? the scale reads 150 all the time? isn't that a good thing?) LOL If the differance is say 50lbs a wheel weight of 50 pounds should give balanced traction and even things out. From personal exp I went from a 42" dixon which has no business on a hill to a ferris IS which has never slipped on ditch or hill. So there can be great differences in hill handling ability. What say you willing to try? Ps I was going with a dixie this spring. May have to talk to ferris again.

Likestomow
11-17-2002, 10:51 PM
Well this is inability to hold a grip on hills is news to me. I bought my XW2500 new in Feb’00. I liked the Turf Boss(1) tires, but found them to be too expensive when it came time to re-tire. They would hold the hills just fine, but would make divots if I turned too fast.

I choose the Carlisle Trail Pro’s in 22x11–8 which is a stock size. They have worked so well for me that this year I bought not only a new set for the mower, but an extra set for back up. They hold the hills great and seem to divot less than the Turf Boss. The down side is that they will spit earth on the street if they have any soil packed in them.

Maybe I am not having the same problems holding a hill because I don’t go as fast as the machine will go. When I mow sideways on a hill I slow down. These tires will “bite”, and I don’t want to leave any marks.

Capt Devo mentioned the Titan Field Trax tires. When I bought my new tires this summer, all I could find at the time were the Field Trax. They looked good so I bought them. BIG mistake! First they are labeled 22x11-8, but the blame things only measured 21” tall (the Trail Pro’s are 22.5” tall). I kept hitting the back of the machine on the pavement when I backed off the trailer. Second, they seemed to have less traction, while at the same time they caused more damage to the turf when turning. In case anyone is interested, I now have a set of these Titans I’d gladly part with, and they only have a few hours on them.

If anyone is really serious about selling a DC here, I would like to hear from you.

strickdad
11-17-2002, 11:12 PM
i got a suggestion..... for those of you that are having traction problems with these mowers, have your tires liquid filled. most tractors have there tires liquid filled and it does help. check with your local tractor dealer about it. it is alot less expensive than replaceing wheels and tires..

TLS
11-17-2002, 11:18 PM
The problems that Crazygator and Evan are having are NOT new to DC. The TurfBoss tire in general does NOT have very good side traction. I remember in my DC days running 4psi in the rear tires. What pressure are you guys running in them?

The DC does have one of the higher center of gravities for ZTR's. However, the weight distribution is the KEY factor here. They keep trying to lower the seat. Thats NOT the problem! Everything on the mower needs to be lowered! They also seem to keep trying to widen the rear track width. This is also NOT the answer! They also keep kicking the rear tires rearward in the frame. Now the operator is sitting directly ABOVE the deck! Where other ZTR mowers have you sitting back further. The big hydro tank is also a lot of unneeded weight that is relatively high. Not to mention the gas tanks that are wrapped in SS that NO other mower manufacturer seems to NEED to do! This is all un needed weight where it SHOULDN'T be.

While hill sliding problems could be considered operator error, both of these users, in my opinion, have "enough" seat hours to have honed their abilities.

I ALSO have commented on the "other" fourm in the DC section about the snow plows and why DC continues to waste money on developing accessories that are nothing but high priced gimmicks, when their mowers fail to improve enough for me to consider buying one again. Well that post of mine NEVER got posted. Probably wouldn't have gotten posted on the Exmark fourm, but they DONT spend time designing accessories that are gimmicky.

Evan, ever try switching your Toro tires onto the DC some time?

Jimbo
11-17-2002, 11:25 PM
Sorry to hear about you guys having problems holding hills after spending $9000.00 on a machine. I spent $2000.00 less and I dont even have to run out and buy new tires.

Nothing worse than having to modify something new that should have been right to begin with, but if you buy something that looks like it was designed and built in the back of a garage then thats what happens.

TLS
11-17-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo
but if you buy something that looks like it was designed and built in the back of a garage then thats what happens.

Sad....BUT all to true! :rolleyes:

Evan528
11-17-2002, 11:48 PM
As Mike (LGF) suggested to me, im going to try Lazer tires and rims on my machine. 24-12-12's. Hopefully that will help with the hill hugging ability....but I doubt it will help with the lack of traction!

dhicks
11-18-2002, 12:13 AM
Hey Evan. Will the Lazer tire size throw off the deck pitch? Just wondering.

Evan528
11-18-2002, 12:14 AM
I was thinking the same thing Dave. And im sure it will....So i will have my dealer reset the pitch after I switch the tires.

TLS
11-18-2002, 12:19 AM
Don't know actual diameters of BOTH tires, but I'd guess that the Lazer tires would maybe sit lower? May have to adjust the rear height.

Green Pastures
11-18-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo
something that looks like it was designed and built in the back of a garage then thats what happens.

Disclaimer: I have never owned or demo'd a Dixie Chopper mower. I have sat on a few and felt like I was on Mt. Everest.

I have to agree with the above statement. Part of what I look for in a mower (a small part) is that it looks good. D.C's look like a bunch of 4th graders threw some parts in a trash compactor and came up with something that looked like something that may have at one time been a lawn mower. They're just butt ugly mowers.

I know it's stupid so go ahead and flame me for that, but I wouldn't be caught dead on one of those ugly things.

DLCS
11-18-2002, 12:50 AM
My local dealer stopped selling the Dixie Choppers last fall. He said that he had too many upset customers due to the fact of poor customer support. He said that Dixie didn't want to cover warranty work on known problems with their mowers and there was many other things too. I'm not trying to bash Dixie. I was wanting to demo one but now there isn't a Dixie dealer within 70 miles of me. If anyone wants to contact my dealer to hear what he has to say about Dixie just pm me. I'm sure he will share his experience with DC.

Mike
DLCS

dhicks
11-18-2002, 01:06 AM
DLCS: My Toro dealer quit selling Dixies during 2001 for the same reason and had been selling DCs for 25 years.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-18-2002, 01:51 AM
Hey Evan. Will the Lazer tire size throw off the deck pitch? Just wondering.

Evan and Wally have 25" tall tires, mounting 24" tall tire will lower the back of the mower 1/2".

Being they are DC's which the decks lift and lower mainly from the front, it shouldn't make much difference to change the rake/pitch.

First lets make sure they are satisfied with the preformace of them with the tires I suggested before they make any hasty moves just yet.

65hoss
11-18-2002, 07:47 AM
The tires Crazygator just bought and have on it right now look very similar to my Lazer tires. What would be the difference?

Nick
11-18-2002, 12:26 PM
yes pitch will be affected. LGF the older dixies do don't raise and lower level. The new ones do. If you have the 25" tires and go to a 24 inch that will be lowering the back of the machine an 1/2 inch. If I go from my 22 inch tires to a 24 inch I will be raising the rear 1 full inch. Simply raise the front or lower the back chain eye bolts. What I don't undestand is dc runs 6psi in the 26 inch carlisle turf chiefs and exmark has the turf masters which they run at 13 psi. These are the same type of tire, but with different treads. CAn you run a lazer tire at 6psi?

Bill Davis
11-18-2002, 01:18 PM
this thread has gotten a little out of hand it seems. My ? is why didnt you demo these Dixies on hilly properties and notice the differance in performance before you broke the bank on one. I demoed and pestered dealers as much as I could before I bought my Lazer. You do need to get some more seat time. I only have 115 hours on my Lazer but I am finally getting comfortable with it. You dont need to cuss out people on here that are spending their time to try and help with the problem. That is just rude. In my opinion you need to be banned from posting. It is just funny to me that you went and bought the machine and now decide after only having it for a couple of months you hate it. Could you have not decided this during the demo. If the machine is not designed for what you are using it for than it is your fault for buying it!!!!!:angry:

LawnSmith
11-18-2002, 02:28 PM
to demo is key but you have to admit if someone was to come on this board looking to buy a ztr, the praise and excellent opinions of DC and exmark are overwhelming.

if i wasnt going to demo, i would buy a DC and/or exmark just based on 90% of what i have read on this board the last 2 years.

sometimes i think people fall victim to Opinions of this and the other board concerning certain mower brands(not that anyone in this thread has).

crazygator
11-18-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Bill Davis
this thread has gotten a little out of hand it seems. My ? is why didnt you demo these Dixies on hilly properties and notice the differance in performance before you broke the bank on one. I demoed and pestered dealers as much as I could before I bought my Lazer. You do need to get some more seat time. I only have 115 hours on my Lazer but I am finally getting comfortable with it. You dont need to cuss out people on here that are spending their time to try and help with the problem. That is just rude. In my opinion you need to be banned from posting. It is just funny to me that you went and bought the machine and now decide after only having it for a couple of months you hate it. Could you have not decided this during the demo. If the machine is not designed for what you are using it for than it is your fault for buying it!!!!!:angry:

Please. How many other issue's do you know we have? More than listed. More than you can have just by demoing a machine. You think I didnt demo one? I need to be banned? I havent cussed anyone here in this thread. If so show me. Plus if I need to be banned, then the moderators need to do a WHOLE lot of house cleaning.....way before they get to me. I have had my machine all season dude. Just read and you will get all the facts ok?

crazygator
11-18-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Bill Davis
It is just funny to me that you went and bought the machine and now decide after only having it for a couple of months you hate it.

Did I say I hate it? I have not! It cuts and runs great, ONLY on flat ground. Others here and elsewhere can vouch for that as well.

Plus, again, what would you think if you posted a similar problem with the Exmark forum and for 2 month they did not respond, any?

Now I do understand how many might feel it is all operator error, and you need more seat time. BUT, this is not rocket science here. We have been waiting an answer from Dixie, but they have not even tried, for 2 months. We have been patient, but feel it has been overlooked. We feel they thought we would just go away, this due to their lack of concern and no offer of help or acknowledgment of our problem. We have changed tires with no fix either. Now we have gone to the dealers. This way we have a true complaint, not just that we cant drive their Z.

If you get no support from the MFG, what do you have? If others have posted that even the dealers have quit having Dixie's to sell what does that say? I think before anyone jumps to any conclusions about us, put yourself in our shoes. What would you do? How would you feel, and think about Dixie? We just want help from Dixie. They will not give it to us, so we feel it is a MAJOR problem they have and others have a right to see what is going on.

lawnworker
11-18-2002, 04:34 PM
It sounds like my next purchase will be a Exmark. This will Make Exmark #3 for me.

crazygator
11-19-2002, 12:11 AM
Something of interest to this whole issue. There is another LCO that has 1 yard down from my house. He has several mowers. DC, a stander and walk behind. He always uses the stander for the ditch and the DC for the rest of the yard, that is flat by the way. Wonder why?

LAWNGODFATHER
11-19-2002, 01:53 AM
Why don't you get out the digi camera and take a few pics including the tires and a few of the incodents.

mowerparts
11-19-2002, 08:19 AM
How much psi are you running in the rear tires?
Should be between 5 - 9 psi.
Been running my Dixie since 1992 and do not have the same problems.
It does track a little going around steep retention ponds but you adjust that with the inside power lever.:blob3:

crazygator
11-19-2002, 10:26 AM
New twist to this whole mess. I had posted something in the DC forum over there. Well guess what, it never got posted. So last night I had a chat with Jayalc (the site admin), he looked and could not even find my post. So that only means 1 thing, someone there is deleting our comments. If anyone here wants to know just ask Jay, he will tell you I asked and that he looked.

I did not cuss anyone out. I did not threaten anyone. Everytime I post I TRY to keep this on a professional level. We ask for help with a problem, and they do not respond with anything at all. We ask again and still nothing. And this is how we are treated. No comments from DC, just edited or deleted post's. Lets see what else they try to cover up, one can only wonder what and how many that havent even gotten this far.

What is sad is this excuse, "DC has no one person to sit there and check these things online all day long." Whatever. They sponsor the forum, which means they pay someone to advertise their products there. They have moderators that do read the post, I have been told they have been seen as recent as yesterday looking through the info. So this means that it is important enough for them to have their products seen for their sales, yet do not have the time to offer help?

Yes I know "Go to the dealer". Done. But online is faster, plus gives others with a similar problem or question the chance to get an answer only by looking at that particular site. What a true dissapointment this whole experience has been!

Scotlawncare
11-19-2002, 06:35 PM
Wally,

As much as I have heard about Dixies and you talking about how good they were at Louisville, man I'd sell that piece of junk and get an Exmark. I know you have tried to get this settled and that Dixie won't step up to bat on this one. If it was me, I'd draw a line in the sand and if by this date nothing from them, for sale sign time.

And NO I won't buy it. :D :D :D

Scot

Bills Circle Mowers
11-19-2002, 07:08 PM
Hi gents,
Been reading the post here on the DC traction issue. I'm a dealer for them and also use one of the entry level machines, LX2001 with turf saver tires, on a very steep incline at a gravel pit. This unit also had trouble holding a grade, this one is a 4 to 1 grade, to help have a chance of staying on the slope we increased tire pressure to around 12 lbs. This narrows up the tire but increase pounds per square inch on the ground. This helped a lot but still like to slide around so we added fluid to the tires. This made it able to do the job. No doubt we are at an extreme on this job but we were able to complete it.
Hope this helps and DC also offers a weight lit I am told that can be installed/modified to help. Personally, I like the fluid better.

gorrell
11-19-2002, 08:39 PM
Crazygator, I know I'm a little late in replying to this thread, but I really think most of your hill holding problems are tire(not machine)related. I, personally, do not like the turf boss tires. I've changed all 4 of my DC's to the field trax tread configuration. 3 of these machines are 72" and the other is a 60" XF2600-60 which I've never had problems on slopes as steep as 3 to 1, but any steeper than that I go with the 72's and would put them up against any other ztr on slopes of that kind. If I can help you with any questions please pm or email me. Thanks, Lynn

bubenberg
11-19-2002, 09:31 PM
most ztr's are not made for hill mowing and if you do some research, such as the handbook for Kohler you will find out, that their engine can't perform well at more than 20% slope. lubrication of your engine is more important than the threads of your tires.

if you look at any machine that is advertized as a hill mowing machine you are going to pay in the high teens and more likely have fourwheel drive. an independent brake system and a system for the driver not to have to lean into the hill, but the seat adjust to the incline of the slope.

i hate to state, that i know a little bit about mowing, making hay and farming in the mountains, both here in the usa and in switzerland. i farmed for my first 26 years in the swiss alps and in those days we could not even sit on our fat asses, everything was walk behind even when pulling a hay press in the 30 -50% slope environment.

Evan528
11-19-2002, 09:43 PM
These are not steep hills we are talking about here. These are inclines that My z master (ZTR) used ot handle without any problem at all. And cause no damage to the turf while doing it!

bubenberg
11-19-2002, 09:47 PM
depending how you look at it, you are either in my front or back yard. do you know the guy that has these problems?

65hoss
11-19-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by bubenberg
depending how you look at it, you are either in my front or back yard. do you know the guy that has these problems?

Evan is one of the guys having the problems. We are not talking hills that require a hillside mower. This is something that most are not understanding. We are talking your normal slopes on residential lawns that I saw. 1/2 acre lots with some slopes and its sliding out. Nothing any mower shouldn't have any problems doing.

John DiMartino
11-19-2002, 09:58 PM
I know the Super Z is ultra stable on hills,my freind was going to buy a Dixie,but decided on a Howard price 360Z,a few yrs ago,that Howard price doesnt cut quite as good as my DIxie,but man is it a goat on hills! that thing is insane,It can cross cut a hill that i thought only could be done with a W/B or 21". and not scar the turf. I was very impressed,if i even tried these hills with the Dixie,it would go flying straight down to the bottom,after tearing everything up.For my accounts though the Dixie can do them,it is at its limits though,I feel as if the mower is ready to pitch me off at any time.It sounds like the new ones are worse on hills than mine.

captdevo
11-19-2002, 10:00 PM
what??????

most ztr engines have pressurized lubrication, the limitation is carburated vs. fuel injected for slopes!!

and that varies from engine positioning on the unit.

bubenberg
11-19-2002, 10:08 PM
"most ztr's have sealed" Nothing.... please just for once read the Kohler book, and you will see ... i am not kidding .... Kohler has the largest install base of engines in this part of the world ... sorry dude .... every so often you have to read just a few lines and not just make statements

crazygator
11-19-2002, 10:33 PM
The properties we are discussing here are (what I think would be defined as) normal residential's. 1 is my own personal house. Another is just up the road a bit from my house. Meaning this is not hillside mowing. This is not a cliff, not a mountain. Please dont get me wrong. This is just an issue that should never be, especially with this mower (or at least that is what they would have most to believe).

I want to try the new G.O.A.T. system mentioned earlier. Maybe this will fix many things. :D

captdevo
11-19-2002, 10:45 PM
please read!!!! pressurized lubrication...not sealed

hmmmmmmm, i guess it doesn't matter that i've been a kohler dealer and warranty service provider for years!!

-----------------------------------------------------

again, i feel the biggest problem...as do most...is tire type and lack of communication of the dealer/manufacturer!!

P&J Lawncare
11-20-2002, 01:13 AM
Trade it in towards a super z and you will never have a hill problem again.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-20-2002, 02:34 AM
I have discussed this with Wally, there are many more issues than what he can post here, so there was more than what meets the eye, so to speak.

crazygator
11-20-2002, 09:47 AM
I have discussed this with Wally (crazygator), there are many more issues than what he can post here, so there was more than what meets the eye, so to speak.

Many issues, YES. But, please understand everybody (and Dixie Chopper people) this is not a mud slinging contest. Although you assume it is now. We have a problem listed with YOUR forum with no answer. Why list or tell about anymore? We cant even get an answer from you about this one, which is a very bad one. If this machine skid's out SO bad, then we have a SAFETY ISSUE as well, not to mention skid marks all over customers properties.

So if they (being Dixie Chopper) refuse any comment or answer then fine. Actually be giving us no reply then that is an answer. They do not care, they do not offer ANY customer service. They get YOUR money, then they run away. All the way to the bank I quess.

I will get rid of mine in due time, with no help from them. I guess I should say (to Dixie Chopper) Thank You for helping me see that I need a different MFG, not only for a much better machine, but for the support we would like to have as well. Thank you for not answering us so we can show you DO NOT care, and wish this to be swept away.

Thank you for helping me see the light. :angel:

Bill Davis
11-20-2002, 10:32 AM
crazy, have you called your dealer and/or Dixie Chopper directly. The problem on the other post is nothing that we can change. It obviously shows they dont care and dont want to look bad. That is some B.S. My question is, did you demo the actual unit you bought on these properties that are giving you problems? If so, did you not recoginize the problem right away? If you did recognize that it couldnt hold a hill for anything why did you then in turn purchase it? In my opinion if you would have demoed the Exmark Lazer, even though you dont have much seat time, you would have seen a difference in their ability to hold a hill.

mower2267
11-20-2002, 11:34 AM
Crazygator, the help you so desperately need was posted last night on L.F.. I hope you can follow up with your dealer and get your problem taken care of. If not, I'm sure if you will let someone at D.C. know via e-mail or via phone (both listed on the post on L.F.) they will get the problem solved. It sure doesn't sound like it's getting fixed here.

Nick
11-20-2002, 11:36 AM
Crazy it says on the mower what incline to not pass for a reason. So some a hole cant sue them for the machine killing some one on a steeper grade. In fact now that I think about it them giving you advise to try to hold such a hill could get them in trouble. For instance they tell you to to add weight, change tire, or whatever, and this inturn kills or injures you for going over the safety limit incline. Guess what ? You would sue them for telling you to ride on steeper incline then is prohibited in the manual and on the machine sticker. If I post a question about a walker then I will never be answered by them. Does ths mean there is no solution to the problem? I am also curious to hear what the other "issues" are with this mower. They only thing I can say negative about the mower is that they did not have tire options when I bought. Now they do. I want pictures of the hills. And I want pictures of how the machine slides. Again did you call them and have a rep look at the properties you mow? What did you use to mow the hills with before? To me it sounds like the bells and whistles of another machine caught your eye and you want your money back so you can buy that mahine. :dizzy:

TLS
11-20-2002, 11:50 AM
If anything, this thread opened our eyes.

It showed, first of all, that there IS a weight distribution problem in the latest gas powered DC's. How long has it been like this?

It showed that more than one person realized it enough to post here about it.

It showed that DC does not offer what Exmark does in the way of a Manufacturer sponsored forum.

While I somewhat agree that CrazyGator should have (or maybe he already did?) started by complaining to his dealer with this, but ..... How do you tell a dealer that the mower isn't engineered properly enough to be good on hills? They'd LAUGH at you! Call up DC and tell them....They'd LAUGH at you TOO!

So I fully stand behind CrazyGators and Evan's posts to try and rectify this problem at its SOURCE. I've gotten things done to my Lazer through the Exmark forum that weren't even brought up with my dealer. How does it make your dealer feel?? Don't know. But I was happy and Exmark was happy, and my mower was FIXED!

Keep pushin' guys. DC needs to do a LOT of re-engineering, and soon!

crazygator
11-20-2002, 02:21 PM
Bill Davis,
My properties have changed throughout the year. I have added, and even looked at many that would have been nice to have. BUT, the skid issue has killed it for me. I cant run around town only bidding on jobs with the thought of using my 36" walk behind ONLY.

Mower667,
Why after 2 months and almost 100 post over here do they post a response? If they had wanted to fix this, then they should have posted an answer THEN, not NOW. And what does this say about their customer service? You only get an answer after so many post and view this info or fuss, that is not right.
And they respond with this in their statement "This site was put in place to discuss ideas, concerns, and techniques to help you the end-user satisfy your customers and increase your profits in the process." Where was our satisfaction? 2 months and many posts later they put this there. Sad sorry excuse guys. And this still didnt answer the original post about the skid problem.

Nick,
We are not talking a mountain. This is a residential area. Nothing steep. If you dont believe just ask 65HOSS, he did see 2 properties.

TLS,
Thank you for your support. I only wish DC had done that, supported us.

By the way for everybody, still no answer from the dealer for me. Dont get me wrong. This is not a dealer problem. I am not angry at the dealer.

DC, please do something to help us.....something for real, not just a general statement that "We are here to help you" then you never DO anything. Its one thing to type something, but a far different thing to act on it. DC time to put your words into action.

crazygator
11-20-2002, 02:26 PM
To me it sounds like the bells and whistles of another machine caught your eye and you want your money back so you can buy that mahine. :dizzy:

Nick please. If I have seen something else that I wanted, I would have just gone out and bought it, no questions asked. Looks like I will have to do this anyway.

If this is what you REALLY think, ask the people I know and that know me for real and see if I am the type that would do this. I am a big boy NICK. If I had made a wrong purchase then I would live with it and sell it and move on. No big deal. But its funny that all these other people have the same problem. Or maybe they just want bells and whistles too huh?

Oh yeah, and I used a walk behind.

Nick
11-20-2002, 09:19 PM
And you looked so happy when you got it. Look you even took a picture of you on it. And wow the back ground turf is unbelievable.:dizzy:

Ryan Lightning
11-20-2002, 10:06 PM
When I see a pick of a DC, it looks like the seat needs to be lowered another 6", and those tires are not flat at all, they look round, and seem they will slide on a hill. DC, should use this opportunity to find ways to fix these problems, and show they will step up and make a buyer happy! and not say just go the dealer first bla bla bla bla. Exmark and Hustler know hows to sell more mowers, from what Ive seen, and DC should look at them and get a clue. How many people read these posts? and DC doesnt have time to have some one read posts and solve problems about there mowers, for what, 30 min. a day??? Hey look DC just lost 10 more sales! :confused:

crazygator
11-20-2002, 10:09 PM
And wow the back ground turf is unbelievable.:dizzy:

What is your problem? Why this attack? Did I do something to you?

And if you had ANY sense you would have seen that is where the trailer is parked. Plus your use of the photo is funny dude. If you just got what is supposed to the "WORLDS BEST MOWER" (in their minds) wouldn't you look happy too?

If you love these mowers so much that is fine. I have no problem with that.

But if you like attacking someone, do it with someone else. I am way out of your league..... :cool:

Evan528
11-20-2002, 10:25 PM
And hes the oh so happy picture of myself the day I bought my machine! I figured this would be the last ZTR Id have to buy for a while! The next day I started thinking what the hecks going on here......"Why does this machine keep sliding down this hill when Ive been mowing it with my toro for years flawlessly?" I tried to dismis My thoughts since after all "they are th mest machines on th market". Its amazing how many DC owners have Private messaged me telling me they have the same problems. Guess it takes one person to mention the problem for others to feel its ok not be so thrilled with there DC either. I wish people would have spoke of these problems before i made this big purchase.:(

Evan528
11-20-2002, 10:29 PM
Heres the picture

ULTIMATE LAWN
11-20-2002, 10:50 PM
I am simply perplexed why anyone would make such a purchase without at least a demo on some type of hill???

Evan528
11-20-2002, 10:54 PM
I guess Ill say that I messed up there. My dealer does not give out demo machines but did let me use this machine on his property there. I figure with everything Ive heard abot this machine over the past several years it was a very safe purchase.:rolleyes:

crazygator
11-20-2002, 10:57 PM
In doing a search on other's questions regarding DC:

How can DC get around OSHA and other agencies (or others watching these things) with their OCDC?

I have heard other MFG's can't put these on due to all the safety regulations, then why can DC?

Nick
11-20-2002, 11:27 PM
Yeah well. Just because you don't like the machine doesn't mean everyone has to follow your opinion. What was that about Leagues? This is just an internet forum, some people don't consider this a valid means of communication. Oh and here I am in 2001.

dhicks
11-20-2002, 11:50 PM
In doing a search on other's questions regarding DC:

How can DC get around OSHA and other agencies (or others watching these things) with their OCDC?

I have heard other MFG's can't put these on due to all the safety regulations, then why can DC?

That's a good question Gator. I have asked other manufactures about the possibility of adding an OCDC to their future line up. The same response is that it will not pass ANSI Standards. I wonder how DC can do it and others can't meet the standard. Oh well - just wondering.

John DiMartino
11-21-2002, 12:07 AM
I always freely voiced how unhappy i was with my DC when i bought it,I was always shot down,and Eric,and others tried to cast doubt on my crediblity,and act as if i made it all up.i was insulted,and told i was a complainer that never had anything good to say about it.I was called picky because i wanted my decals on straight and to actually stick for more than a month,When I told how bad mine cut,Eric would make fun of me by putting up pics of his mowers perfect cut,and sayl"this looks terrible,John"Its no wonder no one came forward. Everyone who did ,like myself was made to feel like an outcast,dig up some old posts with my name,you;ll see what i mean. I was never pleased with my mower the whole time it was under warranty, it had so many problems.I had to fix them all,between dealer and DC I never got my problems handled right.

Evan528
11-21-2002, 12:11 AM
John, I do remember you posting your problems on both this forum and the Dixie chopper forum that used to be on there website. I figured you just got a lemon since I never heard another sole say anything negative about them. I think your right though....people who did dare to say anything negative were shot down pretty fast. I guess thats why people are only saying things after The problem was brought to the table.

mower2267
11-21-2002, 08:35 AM
That's a good question Gator. I have asked other manufactures about the possibility of adding an OCDC to their future line up. The same response is that it will not pass ANSI Standards. I wonder how DC can do it and others can't meet the standard. Oh well - just wondering.

Crazygator, the fact that the other Mfgs. don't offer an OCDC has nothing to do with safety standards. It is the patent that DC holds on it that keeps them from using one.

crazygator
11-21-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by mower2267
Crazygator, the fact that the other Mfgs. don't offer an OCDC has nothing to do with safety standards. It is the patent that DC holds on it that keeps them from using one.

Patents do not have any way of getting around a federal safety issue, such as with ANSI. I have spoken with several MFG's, and they all say the same, "We would put something similar on our machine, BUT it WILL NOT pass ANSI standards."

So it isnt a patent issue here, it is some other deal. How can DC get around these? With some practices they have allowed with their forum one can only imagine what else they would sink to doing to protect or get around other things.

I am sure JayALC could enlighten us more here, although he will not. Jay, please tell us what DC did for you? Supporting DC and their forum is one thing (and not a bad thing, it is (or was) a great place for info), but being bribed to make this happen and make other problems that were posted go away is another. Jay, several of us know what happen, so please do tell......

DC, I am tired of waiting for your answer, and waiting for the dealer. And please do not make this a dealer issue. You make this machine, they only sell it. If you had ANY interest here you would have answered our questions either in YOUR forum, or personally. I know you will not do anything now, so we will continue to tell and warn others of your underhanded business practices, and a very unsafe and unusable mower.

lx665
11-21-2002, 10:59 AM
I don’t post here often. I try to read and learn. I have posted in the past on disclosure. Certain members would push a product, defend it to it’s death, were being compensated. A free mower here…a trimmer there…you get the point. It muddies the waters in the decision making process when we are looking at a certain piece of equipment. We have other members who state they own a certain piece of equipment, then we find out months latter they don’t. We have all heard “I’m buying XYZ next week. It’s excellent!”. Then two months latter, “I didn’t get it, ran into money problems”. Yet they continue push a product like they own it and use it everyday.

I read this forum everyday. DC has been pushed hard. John D. is one of the few who spoke against it. The way this piece of equipment used to be pushed, I’d buy one too.

If you are getting any compensation from an equipment maker, please let us know. It will help us make our decisions. It might prevent problems in the future.

John

LawnSmith
11-21-2002, 11:21 AM
here is that post i made last year about my DC demo.

i talk about how i liked the ability to hold a hill but later talk about turf damage.

*i didnt put it on any steep hills.

http://207.44.158.62/~admin2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20183

mowerconsultant
11-21-2002, 11:39 AM
I thought I would chime in here in regards to the post by lx665.

Not that the last post was directed at Hustler but I wanted to make this 100% clear.

Hustler Turf Equipment has NEVER given anyone a “free” mower or the use of a mower for “free”.
We have sold no machines at any great discounts to get business either.
The selling is left to our dealers, they dictate the price.
We never have and we never will.
We do business the old fashion way, we earn it !!
I do help a lot of guys here get to there dealer and get a demo, I do many demo’s myself, I answer many questions and help solve minor issues but that is it.
It has been suggested a couple of times that Hustler must be giving mowers away or selling them at cost to get there customers, this is not true !!
The reason the Hustler product has done so well is because we build a great product and we back it up 110% !!
There are many happy Hustler owners on this forum, has anyone given you a free mower ??, I bet everyone would be real happy then, but that is not going to happen.
If I sound a bit offensive I am sorry, but this had to be said.
Thank you for your business.

Pj Dufault
Hustler Turf Equipment.
www.hustlerturfequipment.com
hustler@twcny.rr.com

TLS
11-21-2002, 11:44 AM
CrazyGator, and Evan....

Do this!

Buy a Lazer!

mower2267
11-21-2002, 02:34 PM
Patents do not have any way of getting around a federal safety issue, such as with ANSI. I have spoken with several MFG's, and they all say the same, "We would put something similar on our machine, BUT it WILL NOT pass ANSI standards."

So it isnt a patent issue here, it is some other deal. How can DC get around these? With some practices they have allowed with their forum one can only imagine what else they would sink to doing to protect or get around other things.

I am sure JayALC could enlighten us more here, although he will not. Jay, please tell us what DC did for you? Supporting DC and their forum is one thing (and not a bad thing, it is (or was) a great place for info), but being bribed to make this happen and make other problems that were posted go away is another. Jay, several of us know what happen, so please do tell......

DC, I am tired of waiting for your answer, and waiting for the dealer. And please do not make this a dealer issue. You make this machine, they only sell it. If you had ANY interest here you would have answered our questions either in YOUR forum, or personally. I know you will not do anything now, so we will continue to tell and warn others of your underhanded business practices, and a very unsafe and unusable mower.

Crazygator, I'm still trying to figure out two things. 1) The people at DC responded to your post on LF two days ago with two different ways to contact the factory (e-mail and phone number), why are you still bitching on this site about no response from the factory? 2)How do you go from from a tire/hillside problem to complaining about the safety of a feature that by design keeps objects from being thrown from underneath the deck? As I have stated earlier I don't think your problem is going to get fixed here.

dhicks
11-21-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by mowerconsultant
I thought I would chime in here in regards to the post by lx665.

Not that the last post was directed at Hustler but I wanted to make this 100% clear.

Hustler Turf Equipment has NEVER given anyone a “free” mower or the use of a mower for “free”. We have sold no machines at any great discounts to get business either. The selling is left to our dealers, they dictate the price...

Thanks PJ AKA Mowerconsultant for the information you provided. I.M.H.O. Hustler does not have to give equipment away. The equipment sells itself.

I have a Hustler Hydro W/B and though it has not given me any problems since I bought it almost 2½ years ago, I have had questions about my machine and purchase. Each time that I asked for clarification or guidance about my machine, I have received timely help from the factory. Even the CEO of Hustler has personally called me more than once to answer my questions. Believe me, I'm a nobody in the lawncare business. While I provide a quality service to my customer base, I do not have a fleet of mowers, equipment, employees and I'm a solo operator.

I can't recall they last time the CEOs of General Motors, Ford, Sony, or Toro called me to offer guidance or to see how I liked my purchase. This I do know for sure. This old, fat, and semi-retired country boy will have a new Super-Z in my driveway come spring.

Cut This!
11-21-2002, 02:49 PM
It's easy enough to get around patents. Any company wishing to develop an OCDC could. Most do not because of the risk involved from lawsuits.

There are two major ANSI specifications most manufacturer's follow. One covers commercial mowers and one covers consumer mowers. Both are very similar and require a lot of testing including stake tests (impacting a 1" steel stake at full rpm), structural integrity and throw object tests. They also include tip speed regulations, machine stability and brake tests.

What's important to understand is that these tests are not required by law. They are voluntary but most manufactures adhere to them to help minimize lawsuits. (We have too many lawyers!).

The only REQUIRED standard is the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) which only covers small consumer mowers and is very basic.

There is nothing in the ANSI standard to prevent OCDC's but it can make the machine fail the thrown object test if not properly POSITOINED. I'm confident that DC makes a very safe machine. But if an operator does not properly use the OCDC it may not pass the test. DC is just willing to accept more risk that other manufactures.

Passing ANSI does not prevent a manufacture from being sued. It just makes it easier to fight in court.

Gravely_Man
11-21-2002, 03:17 PM
I have no experience with Dixie's but you should be getting a response at the least. I will however say that I have "noticed" some of the negative posts about Gravely (when they were a sponsor) "disappeared." What I am saying is that Dixie is not the only company that seems to want to sweep things under the rug. I wish you the best of luck getting this resolved quickly.

Gravely_Man

Nick
11-21-2002, 05:57 PM
I didn't know about this forum when I bought my dc. I demoed one and talked to real people face to face who put food on the table for their families with this mower. To me this is a mower and it is made to cut grass, and it serves it's purpose. Problems are not swept under anywhere, infact most buyers of these type of mowers do not use the mower, their workers do. They take a beating day in and day out with no problems.

mine does a as good or a better job then any other brand.

Now that you you have gone through the trouble to slam dc any mower will be better suited for you. So go buy another mower and tell us how great it is.:rolleyes:

Ricky
11-21-2002, 06:15 PM
I have a Dixie. When I first got it I had concerns about the tires cutting the turf. I ran a Dixon for 12 or so yrs before the DC. With the added weight, increased hp, and the more responsive controls, I had to relearn how to make turns. The more I used it the better it did (old habits are hard to break). After trying many different ways to turn and questions on these forums from the more experienced users, its not a big concern now.

Things that I have noticed that make it worse is...... thin grass.....wet ground.....newer tires.....higher speeds......getting in a hurry..... when the machine is colder the controls are a little more stiff.....to name a few. I'm sure others can add to this. Don't claim to have all the answers. Thought this will help. I just replaced my tires because of wear and a bad puncture in the side, the sharper edges caused me to use more caution.

As far as the post about the machines not holding is very surprising to me. I could not believe how well it held and how steep of a hill I could mow. I fill like a spider at times. Sure beats my other mowers. I many wild rides to the bottom of the hills with the other.

The more aggressive the tires the better the traction and the more careful you have to be with the above conditions.

crazygator
11-21-2002, 07:01 PM
Hey NICK,
If I had flat stuff like that photo you posted I would be happy as a clam. I never did say nor do say the DC will not cut. It is awesome, only on flat. I bet you cant show me the same type of cut on a hill without a skid can you????? Oh thats right, you probably didnt do it YOURSELF anyway, it was your worker huh?

I did demo an Exmark 52" Lazer HP today. It was wonderful. It would not skid at all. It even would be able to stop (where the DC didnt) and even back up. All the DC did was skid to the bottom. I put this thing where I never tried with the DC after skidding on the first slope.

Now back to the DC and an answer to me......
Did they contact me direct? NO
Have they even tried through the dealer? NO
Has the dealer tried to contact me back? NO
So where is my answer then guys? I have a problem. Do they care? NO.

And please understand, if you have a DC and you like or love it I think that is just great, and more power to you. But understand where we are with these issues. The main one being this company has no customer service AT ALL!

Next, how do I slam DC by posting all this? I do not. I own this machine that continues to give me problems. If I post this and it helps the next guy understand what we are going through then great. Its not slamming when we post about the truth FROM experience.

Dc has some real problems and are not the least bit interested in fixing them. So what do we do then, just go on like nothing has happened? Sorry, not gonna happen. This is REAL for us, so its REAL for DC.

Green Pastures
11-21-2002, 08:38 PM
Crazygator,

Please chill out dude, at this point people are just jerking your chain, and you are falling for it. These people here who seem to be upsetting you can do NOTHING for you as far as your problems with D.C. goes. So why are you letting them get you so upset.

1.- Go to the place where you bought the D.C., ask to speak with the owner and or General Manager, DO NOT SPEAK to any lackey who works there changing spark plugs in push mowers, speak with the man who makes the decisions. Calmly and thoroughly explain exactly what your problems with the machine are. Ask them to fix these problems, under warranty of course, ask when you can expect to get your FIXED machine back, get a reciept and leave. While all this is going on, KEEP TEMPER IN CHECK.

2.- If the dealer cannot or will not fix the problems, start calling D.C. EVERY DAY, without fail. Again, camly and thoroughly explain the problems you've had and ask them to fix or replace it. Tell them you are unhappy with the service the dealer has provided.

3.- If D.C. cannot fix or replace it, get a lawyer and get ready to spend more $$.

You should be DOCUMENTING every single phone call you have made to date. It's not to late to start. Every person you talked to you should have their name, date, time, what was talked about and what they said they would do for you written out.

Handle this like a kid and you'll get treated like a kid. Act like a man and you'll get treated like a man, it's up to you. Cuss me if you want to but I'm not the one who's ribbing you, I'm telling you what will work for you.

God bless.

captdevo
11-21-2002, 09:31 PM
Here's Dixie Choppers' Reply on the web.....Have you followed their suggestions????

We at Dixie Chopper are not trying to hide any problem we may have with any of our products.

We will, as always stand behind our product 100%. However, it is hard to fix a problem that you do not know of until someone tells you that it is on the web.

The only way to address these problems efficiently is to keep your local dealership in the loop and go through the proper channels.

These channels are as follows, take the unit into the dealership you bought it from, and explain the situation to them.

From there the dealer may contact the service department for extended help with the matter.

If it is a situation that needs addressing, we as a company will at this point have the proper information to look through, and make a reasonable decision to help address our customer's needs.

We at Dixie Chopper love to hear about the peer-to-peer Interaction that happens on this site.

It is great that people can share their ideas on how to make their Dixie Chopper even more efficient.

With this in mind, we being DC have tried to stay out of interfering with any posts to keep our bias opinions on our products out of the conversations.

However, if there is a serious issue with your machine it needs to be handled through your local dealer or the Dixie Chopper service department as we mentioned.

We support our dealers, which in turn support the thousands of loyal DC customers across the nation.

If in the event you have tried to work through your local dealer without luck, we at Dixie Chopper would be more then happy to moderate the issue between you and your dealer.

However, the web is not our first line of defense when it comes to service problems/issues.

The extended dealer base and service department that Dixie Chopper offers are the best ways to get the answers to your issues.

The web was put in place to discuss ideas, concerns, and techniques to help you the end-user satisfy your customers and increase your profits in the process.

If you have a service or operation question that your dealer cannot answer, please contact us at, service@dixiechopper.com or I at cliff.franks@dixiechopper.com and I will get your problem to the person that can best help you in the most timely manner.

Dixie Chopper's legacy is to build the best, most productive mower on the market.

With this in mind, we are always open to new ideas and possible solutions to problems you personally may have in the field.

Please feel free to take the time to email us at the above-mentioned addresses or call us at 765-CHOPPER with any opinions or concerns.

We keep the customers opinion in the highest regard here at Dixie Chopper and always will.

Green Pastures
11-21-2002, 11:46 PM
Sounds to me like he's (Crazygator) has an answer from D.C. already.

Evan528
11-21-2002, 11:55 PM
My biggest question... Why did DC continuously respond to other threads on that same forum while my thread sat there for 2 months without a response. And I dont think contacted DC is going to do me or Wally any good.....I dont think there gonna redesign my machine and send it back to me! I still do have a glimmer of hope though that turf tires will help my problem somewhat..the rest is design flaws.

captdevo
11-22-2002, 12:00 AM
???? you guys never contacted your dealer or Dixie???

i have a couple demo Dixies, even with Turfbosses (prefer field trax though), on slopes, they may crab and lift the front caster, but never slide out....... if the slopes are real steep....i break out the Walker (G.O.A.T....it is)

John DiMartino
11-22-2002, 12:05 AM
Evan,I called DC factory,over 2 yrss ago nowi called them over 10 times in 3 days,no one was ever in in the technical assistance dept,they told me to leave a number which i did, i was very polite and courteous,yet i let here know ineeded to talk to someone as the cut was terrible and the dealer couldnt get it to cut right. Well they called me back 3 weeks later!!By the time they called i almost forgot why I had called them.In 5 minutes they told me how to fix it which i did,it took 20 minutes,the deck wasnt pitched right,and i had a defective spindle.My dealer called them too,every day,they didnt call mt dealer back either,so i didnt feel as i i was alone.I see you have been blocked out like i was,they do thaty too the squeaky wheel.

TLS
11-22-2002, 12:23 AM
Like Evan says, DC isn't going to take his machine and "RE-Engineer" it! They may suggest or install a rear "weight kit" to help along with the new tires. But the problem is, that this product has been pushed too far in regards to its original design. Its TIME, LONG TIME , due for DC to TOTALLY Engineer their product.

Look at a DC, and then look at almost ANY other ZTR. There are distinct differences in seat position, operator position, and rear wheel postition. Not to mention that DC is the ONLY manufacturer to mount their battery UP front! :rolleyes: That alone will help tremendously.

The Turf Boss tire design is desinged for traction in reverse. Also by design is almost NO side traction!

I fully understand the reasons for both of these gentlemen to NOT come out with these problems from the get go. These are things you just need to step back and look at and ....SCRATCH your head!

Good Luck guys!

captdevo
11-22-2002, 12:32 AM
correction...the new Generacs have a large automotive batteries mounted on the rear next to the engine.

go lift the front of a Chopper by hand...now lift some other ztr's......

that tire design, similar to lugs (directional) is designed for forward traction, it was actually introduced on willys' / jeeps for the military...heck look at tractors, tillers, etc.....same type of tread design...directional lug type

Nick
11-22-2002, 04:17 PM
Once someone starts claiming a machine is not engineered correctly I don't think any mfg would respond. Thread started out as a question which got anwsers to solve problem, but after I finally asked Evan how his machine was handling he restated the problem was still there. Keep in mind he did not update us for the 2 month period it was posted, until I asked how it was. There was no way for dc to know if Evan had solved the problem. Then came the fuel to the fire, crazygator, now dicides to post that he is having the same problem and expects them to respond in a few days. This was no 2 months of waiting, but was a few days time that the problem was known to still be an issue. Then dc respond which was actauly in a timely manner. Now these two individauls keep stating that even if they contacted them they wouldn't do anything any way. They would have to re engineer the entire mower because someone on lawnsite has an opinion. Does any one here have a degree in engineering? I don't like my gmc 2500 ability to handle my 20 foot enclosed trailer. Does this mean they should re engineer it just for me. No, I will be up grading to a ford 500 12 foot grain body. It is something that is made to handle larger amonts of wait safley. As captdevo said the third wheel design on a walker handles steep hills better. CALL THEM, when I have called they have faxed me stuff and told me how to do things right on the phone.

crazygator
11-25-2002, 11:02 AM
Well another WHOLE week gone by and the dealer has not responded back to me. DC has not tried to contact me either, whether directly or through the dealer. So I am moving on with this. It is appearent DC or the dealer does not want to try and fix this problem.

I know what all of you that doubt these and other problems are saying, but understand NO contact is just that......NO CONTACT!

It sure looks like DC does not want to be bothered with this, nor acknowledge there is a problem. So on I go, but remember this: If you do things right, I will tell some. But if you do things wrong, I will tell everybody!

Guess I will be telling everybody. Sorry DC you guys are pitiful with customer service. And the really sad part......you DIDNT even try!

Farmboy
11-25-2002, 05:58 PM
Wow! sorry to hear about all your troubles. Dixie is very popular in this area, but they do seem to be loosing there stonghold to bladerunner and hustler.

I am suprised that the dixie does not hold a better hill than what you are saying, I had a 60" bladerunner that I could just take down pond banks and whatever hill I felt comfortable putting it on. It held much better than the other mowers that I have had. There must be something to the tires and weight distribution on the dixie that is not correct! Glad I listened to all the hype and did not buy the dixie!

Nick
11-25-2002, 06:03 PM
FArm boy, not designed correctly? The blade runners weight distrubution is exactly the same as a dixie. It is the most blatent copy of a mower out there.

captdevo
11-25-2002, 08:18 PM
Nick???? where have you run a BladeRunner?? or weighed one for that matter???? heck, have you even seen one up close???

obviously you're not speaking from experience!!

they may look similar, but these are two completely different machines!!

The BladeRunners i have will hold hills better and mow circles around everything else....i mean everything. (except Walkers)

in fact most BladeRunners are approx. 200lbs. heavier than Dixies in the front end (much stronger/thicker deck and frame)

Look at Exmark and Yazoo/Kees.....look identical to me, but again 2 very different machines.

actual opinions from experience is what people are looking for.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wallace

what did your dealer say when you asked him? did he offer different tires? weights? trade-in?

did he say he would contact Dixie Chopper for you and resolve it?

BladeRunner Rep
11-25-2002, 08:51 PM
I have posted this once before but here we go again.

The only thing that I know of that might interchange between a dixie chopper and a bladerunner would be the choke cable!

crazygator
11-25-2002, 09:49 PM
what did your dealer say when you asked him?
They said they would look into it, and see what can be done.

did he offer different tires?
No. Remember I have already spent another $200 for the turf saver tires they have now as an option.

weights?
No

trade-in?
No

did he say he would contact Dixie Chopper for you and resolve it?
No, nothing said that they would contact DC. Just basically, we will get in touch with you. I took this as "Dont call us, We'll call you".

So instead of causing anymore "TROUBLE" as some here think, I will drop it and get rid of a machine I cannot use. Exmark or Hustler will be where my money goes next. Not only for a great machine, but superior customer service, and the drive to get things fixed or even looked into.

Thanks for all the support me and Evan has had with this, but I guess it is time to drop it. DC you got your wish, looks like I will just go away, unhappy and very unsatisfied. :mad:

Flex-Deck
11-25-2002, 11:47 PM
This is a quote from Crazygator

It sure looks like DC does not want to be bothered with this, nor acknowledge there is a problem. So on I go, but remember this: If you do things right, I will tell some. But if you do things wrong, I will tell everybody!

Crazygator - does that mean that if you personally mowed 40 yards and screwed one of them up you would expect the one owner to tell the whole town about your screwup, but you would only expect the other 39 to tell only one neighbor.

I have only heard one side of this story - yours - but in my 55 yrs of life on this plant I have learned there are always two sides.

Thanks, Brad

crazygator
11-25-2002, 11:50 PM
Brad,

Oh nevermind, you dont get it, nor never will!

And yes you have heard my side. And yes there are always 2 sides. Have you heard from DC about all this? If so thats news to me. I haven't heard back from anyone. But why do you care Brad? Oh thats right, if I get rid of the DC I wont buy your Flex Deck will I?

Brad dont worry, I wasn't gonna ever get one anyway! :D

crazygator
11-26-2002, 12:16 PM
Ok, I did get a return call this morning from my dealer (thank you guys). They have talked to DC about all this. DC tells my dealer they have sent several E-mails to me regarding this, which is funny. I havent ever gotten anything from DC about this.

Anyway, the dealer basically tells me, either I can call the rep and have them come out and see the area's I mow, and how I operate the Dixie, or sell it. They offer no buy back program, no other tire's, only these 2 options.

I am not upset at the dealer, he hasnt done anything wrong. But here DC tells them I wont respond to them when I NEVER got ANYTHING from them? Come on DC, please act more responsible than this. If you consider the posting of that blanket response on your forum directly contacting me, then you do have pitiful customer service.

For everyone reading all this to make a decision about what to buy, please look to Exmark or Hustler and NOT DC.

MFG customer service might not sound like a big deal, until you need an answer about a problem.

BadAndy
11-26-2002, 04:25 PM
Gator I think you should meet with the DC rep
and show them the problem. If you don't do this,
it might look like it wasn't so bad. You did give DC
a lot of cyber static here asking for customer service
from them. Now that they have made this offer you
should follow through. If you show them what it is
doing, they might make you an offer.

LawnSmith
11-26-2002, 04:45 PM
either I can call the rep and have them come out and see the area's I mow, and how I operate the Dixie, or sell it

this gets my vote, it sounds the most practical. you better get on it quick though, we have snow falling right now in my neck of the woods.

good luck

BadAndy
12-06-2002, 11:27 PM
sounds like dixie chopper stepped up to the plate.
were you still in the game, or was all this just smoke?

Fareway Lawncare
03-17-2005, 12:10 AM
I've seen Only One Chopper & it Was Hanging a Good Hill...Not Even Sure Where the Heck they Got it Because there's No DC Dealers within 60 Miles !

Green Earth
03-17-2005, 09:41 PM
I had a customer come in my shop the other day and he uses Dixies exclusively. We were discussing mowing on a hill with a Dixie and he said he fixed his problem by bolting on another rear wheel. He fabricated a bracket to bolt on another rear wheel on to give it the dually effect. The way I took it, he only had to do it on one side. I know they make kits to put on dual rear wheels on mowers, I just can't remember where I seen them. Sounds like it would work though.

tinman
03-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Strykers have worked better than the original tires on my chopper. Chopper is not the best ZTR for hills because they sit up higher I guess. I would still choose it when I buy another ZTR though...unless I was being ignored like this guy here. My dealer has always been very helpful though

malojeer
03-17-2005, 10:37 PM
My grasshopper mid mount ztr cut on the side of hills with no problem but i think it is due to the low center of gravity. they put the fuel tank under the seat and that seems to make the difference

crosson lawn
03-17-2005, 11:10 PM
i have a 50" flatlander dixie and i have no problems on hills at all.