PDA

View Full Version : older trucks?

vaacutabove
11-20-2011, 04:44 PM
How old can a truck be and still look professional. Looking at adding a truck
94 3500 dump. Cleaner truck for the year.
Posted via Mobile Device

jsslawncare
11-20-2011, 05:06 PM
I thought about a 1955 1 ton flat bed. Sitting on a modern truck rails. I thought it would be neat and different. It would be a nice truck, not Fred Sanford.

C & T Landscaping
11-20-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't think the age matters...the condition does...You could have a 2013 truck but if its covered in dents and rust it won't look good...same as an older truck if it has dents, rusts, runs bad..it probably isn't that professional looking.

vaacutabove
11-20-2011, 05:49 PM
That's what Im thinking it would only probably be used for mulch and leaf season and installs hear and there. I have always wanted a dump or dedicated work truck but its not to the point i have to have one this one is cheaper 2 wd. So we can shall see tomorrow when i golook.
Posted via Mobile Device

MR-G
11-20-2011, 06:15 PM
we use all older trucks...we have 1991 -1998 chevys and fords....we keep them in top condition...in and out..in the process of reconditioning one of the 91's now..engine rebuild,tranny, and all new exhaust as well as new tires,brakes, and interior....and oh yes paint....we will have about 5k in it ...but it will keep making us $$ for many more years....trucks look great!! will post some pictures when done. we just cant justify spending 20k plus on newer models...you can completly rebuild an older truck usually under 5k if you can do most of it yourself...or hire an in house mechanic....

PROCUT1
11-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Other contractors made fun of my "old junk" for years. While theyre at the dealership every other week financing another brand new truck.

Mine are painted, they look good. Theyre just late 80s to late 90s.

The economy crashed. Business got slow.
I still have all my "old junk"

They cant say the same about their shiny new ones.

I can sleep at night knowing nobody is going to be sneaking in with a tow truck

The year doesnt matter. A clean, decent looking truck will do the exact same thing as a new one. Your customers wont notice the difference one bit

vaacutabove
11-20-2011, 07:07 PM
The one Im looking at is a 94 2wd dual 10 ft mason dump with the 454 w 130 k anyone got ideas on a fair price
Posted via Mobile Device

SNAPPER MAN
11-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Yes get it. those are awesome trucks. I have a 94 chevy 1500 and it is an awesome truck. My customers are always commenting on how nice it is for its age.

32vld
11-20-2011, 07:40 PM
How old can a truck be and still look professional. Looking at adding a truck
94 3500 dump. Cleaner truck for the year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Either a car/truck looks great and shows little wear and tear. Or it doesn't.

A great looking car/truck that keeps on looking great as it gets older just makes it one of the fewer that have survived of that model year that still look great.

When terms as: clean for the year, excellent for it's age, are ways of presenting a car/truck trying to avoid admitting that there are dents, rust, chips, scratches, worn interior, high mileage, etc.

Sounds as Clinton is selling used trucks now. Just the way he said I did not have sex with that woman. Yea, his semen got on Monica's dress by immaculate orgasm.

Exact Rototilling
11-20-2011, 08:49 PM
A clean presentable older truck I thinking is an.advantage. I frankly get.compliments on my 85 Toyota 4x4 even though it is far from being cosmetically perfect. It has.been.amazing how many comments I get. They.either had.one. or knew of someone who had one back in the day.

Truck.is getting a make over this winter:

Aluminium UTE utility flatbed conversion
Firestone airbags to help.the rear suspension
Powder coat front and.rear bumpers and.class 3 hitch
Front and.rear brake upgrades
New BFG all terrain TA's on cast aluminum wheels to match UTE bed.

Truck will become more of a theft magnet when it's done late March....more than.it.is.now.

What really seems to make an impression is that the truck has been in the family since new.
Posted via Mobile Device

baldoni
11-20-2011, 11:18 PM
The one Im looking at is a 94 2wd dual 10 ft mason dump with the 454 w 130 k anyone got ideas on a fair price
Posted via Mobile Device

maybe ~ $8000 ?

McFarland_Lawn_Care
11-21-2011, 06:18 AM
I guess it depends on your area - if it's in excellent shape I would say maybe $6,000 would be a fair price. I kinda like the older style - just picked up a 1993 GMC 3500 long bed for $5500 and that is 4x4 WITH a 8ft plow. The good side is that the older trucks are wicked easy to work on - I don't know where to start on the new ones. Like was said earlier, a clean look makes you professional, not the year of the veh.

tnmtn
11-21-2011, 12:02 PM
I think customers often notice when an older truck is used. if your the type of guy that has older trucks well kept up and looking good that is a plus. if you'll spend the time to keep up an older truck chances are the same discipline will be used on their yard or projects. I have 4 trucks. newest is a '06. after that model years are '94,'90,'79. all the older ones are paid for and maintenance annually has been around the same as 2 months payments for the '06.

Exact Rototilling
11-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Okay ...is.there any way to write off an older truck upgrades $$$ that is currently on the books and.I claim millage? I'm going to blow about $3500 on my older Toyota. Even if when I buy another truck I still want.this one s service as back up.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClinesLawncare
11-27-2011, 11:00 PM
If Im a customer Im not looking at there truck. Im looking at what kind of yard they cut. Its a work truck, people spend 40,000 dollars or so on a brand new truck for what? A week after you have it your employee catches the side of it with the bagger. Silly to spend money on a new truck adding debt. Thats the problem with the lawncare business, new owners go out and buy 70,000 dollars worth of equipment then they have to bid cheap so they can try to save there butt for the season. Following year comes around and that company is out of business and your stuck explaining to there old customer why your 20 dollars higher.

LindblomRJ
11-27-2011, 11:53 PM
You should take care of your investment be is a 20 year old pickup or a brand new one. You should be focued on the quality of work. I guess I'd advocate driving something, so you are remember for the work you do not the vehicle you drive.

That means, keep the vehicle clean. That means you don't want drive something that would make Fred Sanford proud. If is okay to have an old truck. You want to make sure it is in good repair and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

ClinesLawncare
11-28-2011, 12:45 AM
Good post because in the end thats what your client remembers the quality. Cant get a new truck if you dont have clients.

Exact Rototilling
11-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Okay ...is.there any way to write off an older truck upgrades $$$ that is currently on the books and.I claim millage? I'm going to blow about $3500 on my older Toyota. Even if when I buy another truck I still want.this one s service as back up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Okay another bump for this tax write off angle. Price tag will be closer to $5k when I'm all said and done plus my free labor.
Posted via Mobile Device

KS_Grasscutter
11-28-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm no accountant but if its strictly a work truck you should be able to deduct the entire cost of any repairs, modifications, maintenance, car wash fees, wax, polish, etc. And if its a personal truck too, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to deduct the cost of the bed almost like its a seperate piece of equipment. Its not like its something you would be buying if you were not using it for business.
Posted via Mobile Device