PDA

View Full Version : Can You Effectively Seed Using a Broadcast Spreader???

LawnTractor
11-20-2011, 10:01 PM
I was wondering if you can effectively seed a new lawn in a prepared seedbed over a large area using a PTO driven tractor broadcast spreader. I understand this is not the preferred method (using a seed drill would, but they are $$$).

So, how good would this work? Also, would you have to use a drag or something to improve seed contact?

McFarland_Lawn_Care
11-21-2011, 06:22 AM
Yes, it should work fine and yes, you need to drag it with chain-link or something to really help it out. Lots of water = lots of grass. ;)

Darryl G
11-21-2011, 09:17 AM
It should work fine as long as you can get your seeding rate right. I always rake over things by hand after seeding with a metal spring rake...sometimes I'll hold 2 together. Sometimes for large areas I'll use my front-mount tine rake/dethatcher. I think you need to be carefull dragging it so that you don't mess up the seed distribution. You might want to use a light roller instead to get your soil contact.

txgrassguy
11-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Like anything else it takes a bit of practice to use a PTO broadcast spreader effectively with seed but it can be done.
What I do is mix Milorganite into the seed by first mixing in a 80 gallon plastic bin then putting the whole load into the spreader hopper.
Takes a bit to calibrate but works well and the Milorganite helps me to track or "eye ball" the perimeter of the broadcast much easier than using just seed.
I follow the large area seeding with a utility vehicle pulling a length of chain link fence to impart better seed to soil contact.

RigglePLC
11-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Lawn,
I think it should work. I don't have experience with large scale, but working the seed into the soil with some method will help a lot. (if the soil is well prepared.) Be sure to include starter fertilizer. I got the best results from double fertilizer and triple seed. Expensive, but so is labor--and seeding it twice when the customer is not satisfied is something you want to avoid. Is it irrigated? Rains dependable?

Isn't it too cold for cool season grass? If you are in warm season country, it is way too cold and warm season grass are usually seeded in the early summer, (or sodded).

Save a sample and plant a few inside so you know about what the germination would be under ideal conditions.
Don't guarantee anything.