PDA

View Full Version : How long to do this lot???

ommegang
11-21-2011, 11:31 AM
I don't have any external accounts. Would like to throw a bid for this lawn along with my snow removal bid. Say perhaps, discount 10% if they sign-up for both. Maybe an hour to mow and another hour WW and blowing. Just me. $95 per too low? 28 mows a season here?
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=3642+Kettle+Moraine+Road%2c+Hartford%2c+WI&aq=1&sll=37.0625%2c-95.677068&sspn=31.013085%2c55.810547&vpsrc=6&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=3642+Kettle+Moraine+Rd%2c+Hartford%2c+Wisconsin+53027&ll=43.322286%2c-88.318416&spn=0.000966%2c0.001725&t=h&z=19&iwloc=A

Thanks Much.

John_DeereGreen
11-21-2011, 12:23 PM
What's your cost per hour? My price and your price are likely going to be different on each and every job...

You need to know your costs before you can bid anything...asking on here is just blind guesswork, because every company has different costs to do the exact same job...

ommegang
11-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Myself and my equipment. Just don't want to leave money on the table. Just looking for opinions for a one man operation bid in WI.

THIESSENS TLC
11-21-2011, 12:31 PM
i think you should read the post from Procut!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=341624

FoghornLeghorn
11-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Plan on 1.25 hours of mowing, and 1.5 hours for trimming and blowing. Charge accordingly.

Another thing, Jehovah's Witnesses usually have parishioners that volunteer their professional services to maintain the properties. They are a very grateful, devoted lot and don't usually JUST donate money. They like to donate time; it's a way for them to show off to other members (or give back to the church, however you look at it). Just keep in mind that you might be bidding against someone donating their time.

Ridin' Green
11-21-2011, 12:56 PM
I assume you have been out and walked the property? I would before ever giving a price for any work like this. There may be hidden obstacles near, or under all the trees that will take extra time, and what's with all the rutting in the lawn? Are those just tire marks, or deep ruts? If they're tire marks, whay are there so many all over the place, and do they do things like that there regularly, 'cause that for sure will add on time since you will have to negotiate all of them if they drive on that turf when wet and leave ruts like those look to be. Do you have to edge as well? Exactly where are the property lines at out front?

FoghornLeghorn
11-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Exactly where are the property lines at out front?

If you look at the map and click on "MAP" view instead of "Satellite" view, then it will show you property lines.

This feature only works for municipalities that make their property info available to google, but this city does...

Ridin' Green
11-21-2011, 01:12 PM
If you look at the map and click on "MAP" view instead of "Satellite" view, then it will show you property lines.

This feature only works for municipalities that make their property info available to google, but this city does...

Yea,I appreciate the tip, and I knew that but it doesn't overlay it onto the sattelite picture, at least I can't get it to on this computer.

The reason I mentioned this, is because I mow right next to a large condo complex, and the LCO crew that mow it doesn't like to mow a couple of places that are rough and hard on their equipment, and always try to leave it for me since it is so rough. I had to go talk to their boss a time or two. He was cool about it and very professional in his attitude, but his workers still try to pawn it off on me. It needs to be done every week, because it is right alongside the church that I mow there, and it looks bad when left uncut.

I just feel it's best to get it straight with the property owner where you will and won't mow to or past, or where the line is to be more clear, so that they are expecting you to do something that the crew mowing next to you leaves.:)

douglee25
11-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Plan on 1.25 hours of mowing, and 1.5 hours for trimming and blowing. Charge accordingly.

I would estimate that as well. Trimming and blowing may be slightly high but definitely in the ball park.

Don't forget to charge drive time or mileage (however you calculate your cost).

Doug

FoghornLeghorn
11-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Also, we need more info. Is there an irrigation system, how many zones, how many heads, where is the box, is it operational or will you have to fix it? do they want weed and feed, mulch anywhere?

Give us a clearer picture of what scope of work we're looking at...

Ridin' Green
11-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Also, being a church, find out if there are going to be any scheduling conflicts, as in are you going to show up only to have somone come out and tell you that you need to come back later because they are having some type of inner, or outer activity like a car wash etc., during which your mower would be unsafe to operate, or interrupt services etc., etc.

I mow a church, and sometimes they don't get me that info ahead of time (as they normally are good about doing) and I show up only to have to come back due to a wedding or funeral, or some church business related activity. In the event that ever happens, you need to make sure that they understand that they have to cover your costs for the return trip on top of the normal services.

drenchedlawn
11-24-2011, 06:13 PM
I would bill out 600/month for this lot.

knox gsl
11-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Looking at thw map I would be on the low end with $150 per visit doing a simple mow should be higher if possible. Mow, trim and blow sidewalks off. I would try to get them into a service contract and get some upsale services (bush trimming, edging, fertilizing, weed control, or lot sweeping).
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
11-24-2011, 10:47 PM
ok, actual grass is about 1.5 acres here and a crap ton of trees. I would think I would be done in 2hrs or less. I think $95 is right on the money if your trimming every tree.

douglee25
11-24-2011, 11:12 PM
That still seems awful low to me for a 1.5 acre+ job.

$95 may cover your hourly rate, but what about what you bill your equipment out at per hour? What about what you bill your drive time or mileage at? What about your insurance costs? All of those things should be factored into your pricing.

Doug

JCLawn and more
11-24-2011, 11:18 PM
That still seems awful low to me for a 1.5 acre+ job.

$95 may cover your hourly rate, but what about what you bill your equipment out at per hour? What about what you bill your drive time or mileage at? What about your insurance costs? All of those things should be factored into your pricing.

Doug

it also depends on where your at. I got a job where its 2 to 2.5 acres and i do it for $45, why? if it was more then I would not have it. I can guarantee if that was an open bid in my area it would be bid on for 50 or 60. We had ciy bid go for $35,000 a year and it was 120 acres a week and it had to be done on wed or thus from 8 am to 3pm. My friend bid 70k and it included road side property. So it depends on your area.

FoghornLeghorn
11-24-2011, 11:19 PM
At $95, a cut, you might as well pass on the job and send that church $50 a week. You'll lose less money that way and at least you won't waste your time.
Posted via Mobile Device

FoghornLeghorn
11-24-2011, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't bid a penny less than $4800 per cut for that 120 acres. I run a business, not a soup kitchen. You people working for those low wages are digging your own graves; I don't understand your rationale.
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
11-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Yep. I agree. I'm just saying that it all depends on your area for what you can get.
Posted via Mobile Device