PDA

View Full Version : Gutter bids?

All_American_lawn
11-21-2011, 03:53 PM
How do you guys bid for gutter clean outs? Any bid forms? Any help would be much appreciated, thx guys!

:usflag:

fireman gus
11-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Depending on the type of roof and items we have to work around we charge between 75 cents to $1 per linear foot.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
11-21-2011, 09:01 PM
We charge a fifty dollar minimum for ranch style home and it goes up from there.
Posted via Mobile Device

All_American_lawn
11-22-2011, 06:54 PM
THX guys for all the help!

jsslawncare
11-22-2011, 07:09 PM
We charge a fifty dollar minimum for ranch style home and it goes up from there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Same as me.

Darryl G
11-22-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't think gutters are either lawn care or landscaping so I don't do them. I don't have the proper equipment or insurance to do gutters anyway. I have a friend I refer people too.

Tyler7692
11-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Damn I must be lowballing. I only do it for about 10 customers with ranch style homes, easily walkable roofs. I only charge $25, but I can usually do one in 10 minutes just blowing them out with the leaf blower.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
11-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Darryl what do you do when performing clean ups?
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
11-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Tyler remember your the one up on the ladder and the guy which is is going to hit the ground. Get what's yours for the risk.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Darryl what do you do when performing clean ups?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ummm...everything but roofs/gutters. On some it's just leaves/sticks/twigs. On others it's cleaning up all dead growth in the beds as well. Don't wanna get off topic here though.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
11-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear I was wondering if you wait for gutters to get done before you do clean up or if your guy does it after and takes debris. We normally do gutters at time of clean up. I wasn't giving you grief.
Posted via Mobile Device

GravelyGuy
11-22-2011, 08:34 PM
$125 minimum for one stories. I don't do two stories anymore, too dangerous
Posted via Mobile Device

wgallagher
09-07-2012, 07:32 PM
I too was wondering how to price cleaning out gutters, in my area most of these houses have about 10-20 linear feet of gutter, so at $1.00 a linear foot, i dont see how you make money from a potential customer. And at a set price as a minimum such as $125 or even $100 for example, how would one justify this price. Sorry I am new to everything here, trying to learn all i can on bidding any type of job

123hotdog
09-08-2012, 03:49 AM
I too was wondering how to price cleaning out gutters, in my area most of these houses have about 10-20 linear feet of gutter, so at $1.00 a linear foot, i dont see how you make money from a potential customer. And at a set price as a minimum such as $125 or even $100 for example, how would one justify this price. Sorry I am new to everything here, trying to learn all i can on bidding any type of job
My prices start @ $50 to clean a gutter and its usually more like $75. They are paying for me to get on that ladder, not for my work. If we scrub the outside of the gutter with Krud Kutter, its $300 ( it makes almost any gutter look brand new.

iand
09-08-2012, 08:17 AM
i don't do gutters anymore after falling about 8 feet off a low roof at my house and breaking a couple of ribs and cracking my ankle i estimate that it cost me at least $4000 in lost work before i was back to anywhere near ok again so give a price that you're happy with and don't worry if you don't get the work it's 1 less roof you can fall off

clydebusa
09-08-2012, 09:20 AM
I have 2 of these or enough to go up 25 feet. Tape to the backpack and off I go. Stay on the ground and clean out the guttering. Works real well. And makes me lots of money.
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productdetails.aspx?sku=998014532&gclid=CKWZguD7pbICFSdjTAodEh4A9g

C Jovingo Landscaping
09-08-2012, 10:16 AM

That's why you charge like $50 minimum for up to 50' of gutter, then $1 a foot over 50'. 10' gutter $50, 30' gutter $50, 50' gutter $50, 65' gutter $65, 85' gutter $85. If you don't wanna do gutters, price it higher to make it worth your time/risk if they should accept your high price. You may think $125 is high but homeowner may pay that to not have to get ladder & take the risk themselves.
Posted via Mobile Device

wgallagher
09-08-2012, 12:20 PM
My prices start @ $50 to clean a gutter and its usually more like $75. They are paying for me to get on that ladder, not for my work. If we scrub the outside of the gutter with Krud Kutter, its $300 ( it makes almost any gutter look brand new.

123hotdog, thanks for the reply, i guess i will have to invest in this krud kutter you mentioned. Most new houses around here has white vinyl gutters, alot of the older ones have metal gutters usually which are painted, would the krud kutter remove the paint as well if i were to scrub those ones with it? $50 basically to drive there and get on the ladder right then extra after a certain amount of gutter? Ok now im starting to understand, that makes a lot more CENTS to and for me haha thanks. (yes pun intended)

wgallagher
09-08-2012, 12:24 PM
iand, thanks for the reply, i am sorry to hear of your costly fall. once i could possibly get customers to have an income i will have to buy a better ladder, as of now i got a 6 foot crap ladder i purchased at walmart for 30 or 40 dollars about 6 years ago, its not the safest or sturdiest so i will have to be extra careful. Thank you.

clydebusa, thanks for the reply as well and the link, i checked the link out, if it works and makes money for $30 that is definately something i will have to look into when i start making money. Thank you.

wgallagher
09-08-2012, 12:28 PM
That's why you charge like $50 minimum for up to 50' of gutter, then $1 a foot over 50'. 10' gutter $50, 30' gutter $50, 50' gutter $50, 65' gutter $65, 85' gutter $85. If you don't wanna do gutters, price it higher to make it worth your time/risk if they should accept your high price. You may think $125 is high but homeowner may pay that to not have to get ladder & take the risk themselves.
Posted via Mobile Device

C jovingo landscaping, thanks for the reply. So i would charge $50 just to get to the job and in the air and in a sense it is still a dollar a foot for up to 50 feet then the sky is the limit after that due to length. That makes a lot of sense to me now that you all have explained it to me. Thanks i appreciate the info.

wgallagher
09-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks everyone, i really appreciate the info, you guys have all helped me a lot. I havent noticed any advertising for gutter cleaning other than as maybe add on services from businesses to their current customers. I am hoping to run a ad on craigslist for this soon to hopefully generate a good amount of cash to get my city license so i could really start advertising and hopefully get some used back up equipment asap. I was thinking of painting my wood walled trailer black and with orange paint, paint my name and number on both sides and the back of my trailer. And advertise ridiculously on craigslist after doing so. Since i have no income at the moment other than the 3 bi weekly yards i just got, i was thinking of ordering biz cards and just paying the $6 for shipping from vista print for shipping, although i would have to wait 2 weeks but i decided to wait until i get the biz license so i can put the license number on them as well. I dont want to get in trouble for advertising to much and not having the municipal license.
Also i know this sounds messed up but i got to make a income to feed my kids, luckily my ol lady works but we still have been struggling, so i was thinking once i got the license to post an ad something like this
"Are you tired of your local service provider? Are you tired of feeling like "just another account"? For the next month we are running a special, give us a try, you wont be disappointed, show us your current invoice/bill from your current service provider and we will beat it by 10%"
I know it sounds messed up in that i am stealing customers, but i gotta make money for my family, and im not trying to steal every companies total routes, i would like one or two customers from every company. Around here there are A LOT of companies, most are unlicensed, but i know that ad will piss people off and the established legit companies would probably rat me off to the city. That is the reason i want to be legit before i do that ad. I look at it like this, no one around here is willing to help you out in fear of you taking all their business, and if they were to help with bidding cost it would be to help them instead by giving you tips that would not get you business, everyone is out for themselves. This would hopefully help me get some customers sooner as well as give me an idea on how much to charge certain properties.
so any input on my idea i would like to hear and would appreciate the feedback.

Also this one is out of topic but doea anyone pressure wash? maybe mobile homes? How would you charge for mobile homes? I have bought a pressure washer awhile back but never really used it, i figure i need to make all my equipment make me money instead of it just sitting in the garage taking up space. I wanted to start doing mobile homes because i feel it would be easier as the city does not drive in mobile home parks, and we have set watering days and set hours to water on those days, so i didnt want to get a ticket for using the water when it is not the watering day.

Again thanks for the advice. i appreciate it all, you guys are awesome, thanks

C Jovingo Landscaping
09-08-2012, 12:52 PM
C jovingo landscaping, thanks for the reply. So i would charge $50 just to get to the job and in the air and in a sense it is still a dollar a foot for up to 50 feet then the sky is the limit after that due to length. That makes a lot of sense to me now that you all have explained it to me. Thanks i appreciate the info.

I only do ranch homes. If it is a client that I mow I will throw 8-16ft extension ladder on my truck & do it while I am there mowing & charge per foot. So if it is 30' I Charge $30 cuz I am already there mowing & not charge min $50 for special trip.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave does lawns
09-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks everyone, i really appreciate the info, you guys have all helped me a lot. I havent noticed any advertising for gutter cleaning other than as maybe add on services from businesses to their current customers. I am hoping to run a ad on craigslist for this soon to hopefully generate a good amount of cash to get my city license so i could really start advertising and hopefully get some used back up equipment asap. I was thinking of painting my wood walled trailer black and with orange paint, paint my name and number on both sides and the back of my trailer. And advertise ridiculously on craigslist after doing so. Since i have no income at the moment other than the 3 bi weekly yards i just got, i was thinking of ordering biz cards and just paying the $6 for shipping from vista print for shipping, although i would have to wait 2 weeks but i decided to wait until i get the biz license so i can put the license number on them as well. I dont want to get in trouble for advertising to much and not having the municipal license.
Also i know this sounds messed up but i got to make a income to feed my kids, luckily my ol lady works but we still have been struggling, so i was thinking once i got the license to post an ad something like this
"Are you tired of your local service provider? Are you tired of feeling like "just another account"? For the next month we are running a special, give us a try, you wont be disappointed, show us your current invoice/bill from your current service provider and we will beat it by 10%"
I know it sounds messed up in that i am stealing customers, but i gotta make money for my family, and im not trying to steal every companies total routes, i would like one or two customers from every company. Around here there are A LOT of companies, most are unlicensed, but i know that ad will piss people off and the established legit companies would probably rat me off to the city. That is the reason i want to be legit before i do that ad. I look at it like this, no one around here is willing to help you out in fear of you taking all their business, and if they were to help with bidding cost it would be to help them instead by giving you tips that would not get you business, everyone is out for themselves. This would hopefully help me get some customers sooner as well as give me an idea on how much to charge certain properties.
so any input on my idea i would like to hear and would appreciate the feedback.

Also this one is out of topic but doea anyone pressure wash? maybe mobile homes? How would you charge for mobile homes? I have bought a pressure washer awhile back but never really used it, i figure i need to make all my equipment make me money instead of it just sitting in the garage taking up space. I wanted to start doing mobile homes because i feel it would be easier as the city does not drive in mobile home parks, and we have set watering days and set hours to water on those days, so i didnt want to get a ticket for using the water when it is not the watering day.

Again thanks for the advice. i appreciate it all, you guys are awesome, thanks

If you market on price you will ultimately struggle as a business. I have been there done that, wasted 2 years. I have since wised up and market myself on both quality and personal service. way easier on myself now and honestly the best customers are the ones who can afford paying top $$$$$ for top quality work.

Only reason I would ask to see a previous bill and offer the beat it, would be if I was unable to bid the property, in which case we scratch each others back and I get the job and they save a few bucks.

wgallagher
09-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Darn it!!! apperantly i dont know how to hit "post quick reply" after a long message i typed, so here it is just shorter.

I know this sounds messed up but i got to make a income to feed my kids, luckily my ol lady works but we still have been struggling, so i was thinking once i got the license to post an ad something like this

Also this one is out of topic but does anyone pressure wash? maybe mobile homes? How would you charge for mobile homes? I have bought a pressure washer awhile back but never really used it, i figure i need to make all my equipment make me money instead of it just sitting in the garage taking up space. I wanted to start doing mobile homes because i feel it would be easier as the city does not drive in mobile home parks, and we have set watering days and set hours to water on those days, so i didnt want to get a ticket for using the water when it is not the watering day.

so any input on my idea i would like to hear and would appreciate the feedback. Thanks guys, well its 9:20 here so time to get my butt in gear and mow one of my 3 bi weekly yards haha obviously im barely starting up

C Jovingo Landscaping
09-08-2012, 01:24 PM
If you market on price you will ultimately struggle as a business. I have been there done that, wasted 2 years. I have since wised up and market myself on both quality and personal service. way easier on myself now and honestly the best customers are the ones who can afford paying top $$$$$ for top quality work.

Only reason I would ask to see a previous bill and offer the beat it, would be if I was unable to bid the property, in which case we scratch each others back and I get the job and they save a few bucks.

Dave, I agree! What if LCO you are taking Job from has same costs as you & they are making little money at what they bid the job, then you are gonna do it for 10 percent less. SMH! Don't use pricing gimmicks.
Posted via Mobile Device

wgallagher
09-08-2012, 01:26 PM

Thanks Dave that is the reason i was thinking of eventually posting an ad like that, i need to learn to bid. I hear of the golden rule of "a dollar a minute" but i dont know how to properly bid, the few yards i do have i am not making a dollar a minute by far, i figure i will keep these ones just as they are for bi weekly cash as they pay per mow, which really helps me just starting out for fuel and such, but i need to learn to bid on future properties so i am making a decent income for the family.

wgallagher
09-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Dave, I agree! What if LCO you are taking Job from has same costs as you & they are making little money at what they bid the job, then you are gonna do it for 10 percent less. SMH! Don't use pricing gimmicks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks C Jovingo landscaping, i see your point. I was thinking of doing that only for about a month, just to try to get anywhere from a few to ten yards to give me an idea on pricing those size properties. But i see the points you and Dave had mentioned, guess i just need to measure the few i got now and try to calculate how i can get that dollar per minute on the next yards similar in size to my 3 bi weeklys i have now. Thanks guys for the input, i shall return later, i got a yard to get to soon

wgallagher
09-08-2012, 01:33 PM
So my best bet is try to figure my current 3 customers yards where i could use those in comparrison to new accounts and better bid on those. And hopefully in the future sot of just make my own price based off my work, if theres a yard i dont really want to do just give them a higher quote? Still i have so much to learn on a business aspect of things. Thanks everyone i appreciate the feedback

Dave does lawns
09-08-2012, 01:50 PM
So my best bet is try to figure my current 3 customers yards where i could use those in comparrison to new accounts and better bid on those. And hopefully in the future sot of just make my own price based off my work, if theres a yard i dont really want to do just give them a higher quote? Still i have so much to learn on a business aspect of things. Thanks everyone i appreciate the feedback

That's a good start.

Best of luck, and associating with the one nice competitor is worth more to me then not caring about them at all because of the few bad apples. Pick and choose who you relate to though and surround yourself with good company.

wgallagher
09-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks Dave i appreciate the feedback. Im usually have a good judgement of charachter through growing up, so now a days as im a family man now, i dont associate with too many of the people i used to years ago. I have learned that lesson in life to associate with good company and stay away from the negativity as it often drags you down as well.

yardworkswi
09-10-2012, 06:07 PM

most garages have atleast 40 linear feet of gutter themselves must be very small houses. I have done 2 this year one was 186 ft the other was 206 and I charge $1 per foot on one story and 1.25 per foot on 2 story. with a 50 and 75 minimum. I have kicked it around to add a quarter per foot if full of mud and nasty or to take off a quarter per foot if it is just a walk and blow. this way i can tell the customer i am trying to be fair to both of us with my bid. plus I hate charging the pitas that let them fill up for 3 yrs the same as the people that get it done as needed takes more time and is more dangerous too

1stcall
09-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Our average charge is $1.10 per square ft. of structure.
Rain Gutters - $257.40
The gutter cleaning includes the clean out of the gutters and down spouts by removing leaves
and debris by hand or other methods, bagging the waste and flushing the roof gutter and
downs pouts under normal water pressure.
We will also inspect and tighten fasteners,reseal end caps and outlets if required and blow clean the entire roof.
Note: Cleaning of sub-surface gutter drains is not included.
After cleaning we can provide recommendations and prices related to gutter screens to help
prevent future drainage problems.
Subtotal
-
Estimate Total
$ 257.40

wgallagher
09-10-2012, 08:47 PM
most garages have atleast 40 linear feet of gutter themselves must be very small houses. I have done 2 this year one was 186 ft the other was 206 and I charge $1 per foot on one story and 1.25 per foot on 2 story. with a 50 and 75 minimum. I have kicked it around to add a quarter per foot if full of mud and nasty or to take off a quarter per foot if it is just a walk and blow. this way i can tell the customer i am trying to be fair to both of us with my bid. plus I hate charging the pitas that let them fill up for 3 yrs the same as the people that get it done as needed takes more time and is more dangerous too

yardworkswi,
thanks for the reply, as i left my street earlier today i noticed i am one of the only 3 or 4 houses that have rain gutters, over my so called porch only. the garage does not have a gutter at all and this house was remodeled about 6 years ago. Across the street a house has a gutter along side of the garage only. This are decent size houses, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a garage.

206 and 186 feet?!! good lord, thats alot compared to the houses around here, well in my neighborhood atleast. I was thinking about charging the $50 minimum just to drive there and get the ladder out and the dollar a foot after so many feet.

Yeah i would possibly raise the 2 story house price a bit more, just because its a bit more dangerous. That is a good idea raising it on those people that let it build up. I will have to keep that in mind also.

Thanks for the reply, i appreciate it.

wgallagher
09-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Our average charge is $1.10 per square ft. of structure.
Rain Gutters - $257.40
The gutter cleaning includes the clean out of the gutters and down spouts by removing leaves
and debris by hand or other methods, bagging the waste and flushing the roof gutter and
downs pouts under normal water pressure.
We will also inspect and tighten fasteners,reseal end caps and outlets if required and blow clean the entire roof.
Note: Cleaning of sub-surface gutter drains is not included.
After cleaning we can provide recommendations and prices related to gutter screens to help
prevent future drainage problems.
Subtotal
-
Estimate Total
$ 257.40

1stcall,
thanks for the reply, i am a bit confused on you charge $1.10 by the square foot of the structure? I am helping my uncle on his roof, i believe he said his house was 2300 square feet, so if i understand your price right, for his 2300 sq ft x $1.10 = $2300? that seems like a lot to clean out gutters and blow off the roof, but then again im sure im missing something.

As for what the gutter cleaning includes, thanks it helped me with questions i was wondering about. I also was wondering since i would be there doing the gutters if i should blow off the roof as well included with the price of cleaning the gutters, or if i should add an extra amount to it. I was thinking to go with $50 as a minimum and a dollar a foot after 50 feet or so. Not dead set on a price yet, just throughing that price around in my head based off peoples replies.

After doing my own research online, i have seen that the best way to clean the gutters is by hand, or possibly a small garden trowel if there is mud and junk caked in there. So basically i just need a ladder, a bucket or two, or trash bags, gloves and the trowel. Plus the waterhose, or just use theirs. Would i clean, wipe or scrub, the outside of the gutters after im done cleaning the inside for an additional cost, or is it best to include that as the service of cleaning out the gutter?

So far i posted an ad on craiglist last night but no calls yet. But i mentioned a free inspection with the cleaning service, but still unclear of what to charge if i need to say, put silicone inside the gutter due to a leak. or any other repair prices for that matter.

Thanks for the reply, i appreciate it and any other advice you 1stcall, or anyone else has for me. thanks

yardworkswi
09-13-2012, 12:31 PM
yardworkswi,
thanks for the reply, as i left my street earlier today i noticed i am one of the only 3 or 4 houses that have rain gutters, over my so called porch only. the garage does not have a gutter at all and this house was remodeled about 6 years ago. Across the street a house has a gutter along side of the garage only. This are decent size houses, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a garage.

206 and 186 feet?!! good lord, thats alot compared to the houses around here, well in my neighborhood atleast. I was thinking about charging the $50 minimum just to drive there and get the ladder out and the dollar a foot after so many feet.

Yeah i would possibly raise the 2 story house price a bit more, just because its a bit more dangerous. That is a good idea raising it on those people that let it build up. I will have to keep that in mind also.

Thanks for the reply, i appreciate it.

the worst part about the 2 story homes is not that you are up 10 - 15 feet higher its that most of them have a much steeper slope than the 1 stories so that is something I also take into consideration when bidding not just how many stories more so on what the slope is and how many times I will have to move my ladder. If i have to move my ladder every ten feet rather than just get on the roof and walk along it then it is more time and work. Another thing to watch for is if they have gutter screens and are still full of debris it is a pain to blow them out if they have the screens on them you pretty much have to take sections of the screens off so you can blow the stuff out.

1stcall
09-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Sorry, my fingers added an extra number. We charge .11 cents per square ft. so a house with 2300 Sq.ft. would run about $253. Go to the web site clublocal and check out their gutter and other prices. Good Luck.

wgallagher
09-13-2012, 07:16 PM
the worst part about the 2 story homes is not that you are up 10 - 15 feet higher its that most of them have a much steeper slope than the 1 stories so that is something I also take into consideration when bidding not just how many stories more so on what the slope is and how many times I will have to move my ladder. If i have to move my ladder every ten feet rather than just get on the roof and walk along it then it is more time and work. Another thing to watch for is if they have gutter screens and are still full of debris it is a pain to blow them out if they have the screens on them you pretty much have to take sections of the screens off so you can blow the stuff out.

yardworkswi,
Thanks for that tip, i did not think of the gutter screens, i thought people that had those would not need to have their gutters cleaned, but it is good to know that they still need services too.

I have posted a ad on craigslist, but yet have not received any calls for this yet, but then again the leaves havent fell from trees yet.

Also i will have to keep that in mind on two story houses, especially since i am somewhat afraid of heights haha

thanks again

wgallagher
09-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Sorry, my fingers added an extra number. We charge .11 cents per square ft. so a house with 2300 Sq.ft. would run about $253. Go to the web site clublocal and check out their gutter and other prices. Good Luck.

1stcall,

thanks for clearing that up for me. Also thanks for the tip on the website, i will definately have to look at that page.
thank you

Dave does lawns
09-13-2012, 08:30 PM
IF?

1st floor was $1/foot
2nd floor $2/foot

would the 3rd floor be $3/foot?

GSO LAWNEN4CER
09-14-2012, 04:13 AM
How do you guys bid for gutter clean outs? Any bid forms? Any help would be much appreciated, thx guys!

:usflag:

If your smart you will tell the customer sorry we dont service gutters!:laugh: