PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up a heavy trailer to the reciever ball

j-ville native
11-21-2011, 08:36 PM
How do you guys hook up your heavy trailers to your truck. I just got a new trailer and my old one was a little 5'x8' that I could just lift and drop on the receiver ball. My new trailer is too big and heavy to do this. My options that I came up with are:

1. back-up camera on rear of truck
2. A magnet and stick on the trailer hitch to show me where I need to be when backing the truck up
3. Keep getting out of the truck and checking where I'm at and where I need to be
4. Have a helper direct me

I don't like these choices much especially choices 3 & 4. So what ideas ya got for me? Thanks

j-ville native
11-21-2011, 08:37 PM
oh yeah one more idea but I don't like it either. picking up empty trailer and dropping it on truck's reciever and then drive mowers onto it

fireman gus
11-21-2011, 08:42 PM
We have a mark on the trailer to line up with but we also use a magnatic flag that we put on the trailer hitch to know when we are in place .

Darryl G
11-21-2011, 08:42 PM
They make a hitch that you just have to get close to in order to hook up...I'll try to find it again.

For my dump trailer I just back up using my mirrors and can usually get centered on it pretty well and then just get out to see how much further back I need to go.

Most people just have a wheel on their jack stand so they can move the trailer a bit...doesn't work for me since I have no pavement anywhere in sight on my property.

P.S. - http://www.williamsinnovations.com/mkt-commercial.html

psdnate
11-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Back straight up to the trailer and using your mirrors keep the trailer sticking out the same on both sides. Back up slowly until the trailer hits your hitch and then pull forward just a little. That's what I do anyway.

Tyler7692
11-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Learn how to use your mirrors and back up properly would be my best advice. I do it everyday with no problems. You have to learn how to use reference points in your mirrors and remember them.

JDiepstra
11-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Wheel.....

cuttin-to-the-Max
11-21-2011, 08:47 PM
haha we unhook our skid trailer often at sites also, Usually comes down to a few methods.

Use a rear camera OR
Try to pull in straight before you unhook
Before you unhook, line yourself up with something like a curb or a tree. (Like tyler Said)

I never have bought any of those "ammeture" trailer hooker'(upper) helpers.
After a while i just caught on to it.

greentech2007
11-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Guess i've hooked and uhooked mine enough times i just back up to it and usually am pretty close. Would be cool to see how one of them cameras work.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
11-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Just keep hooking up to it and you soon will need no aids too help.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
11-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Practice, another thing is going to pintle hitches. You can be off 4"s or so and it still works.

cuttin-to-the-Max
11-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Guess i've hooked and uhooked mine enough times i just back up to it and usually am pretty close. Would be cool to see how one of them cameras work.

Pretty simple setup, Just a monitor inside your truck hooked up to a cam in the back can get them almost anywhere!

j-ville native
11-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Wheel.....

are you talking about these... http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200414698_200414698

Those don't seem like they can support much weight

j-ville native
11-21-2011, 09:23 PM
thanks for the answers guys. It sounds like the majority say practice is the key. I'd still like to take the guesswork out of it so and come up with something to make things easy. The magnet flag idea is cool. Where did you get that? The camera idea is also good but sounds too expensive

j-ville native
11-21-2011, 09:27 PM
hey this backup camera is only $22

http://www.amazon.com/XO-Vision-HTC35-Weatherproof-NightVision/dp/B001P3PSR6

not a bad price

rob7233
11-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Here ya go!

Makes my life easier and saves time. Normally sells for about $15.00

http://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/merchandising/alert-overstock-sale/magnetic-trailer-alignment-kit-95684.html

Ridin' Green
11-21-2011, 09:33 PM
When I went from my old 5X8' to my much longer tandem trailer, I just paid attention to what the image looked like in my rear view mirror (left side only is all you need to watch due to things being distorted in the right mirror) once the trailer was hooked up. I noted what was where in relationship to my truck fender well etc. After about two or three times of doing it I could get it right on the money. I simply make sure the trailer hitch itself is higher than the ball top by a couple inches and back up slowly until I bump the trailer tongue to the receiver hitch insert upright, stop and lower the tongue right down onto the ball using the trailer tongue jack (very close to the one in the Northern Tool catalog, some of which can lift 2500 lbs without problem).

Columbia Care
11-21-2011, 09:38 PM
I found a adjustable mirror at Camping World that fits over my tailgate. I adjust the mirror to see my hitch ball, then use my rearview mirror in the truck to watch wear I am. Cost was cheap and it takes less than a minute to set it up.

j-ville native
11-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Here ya go!

Makes my life easier and saves time. Normally sells for about $15.00

http://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/merchandising/alert-overstock-sale/magnetic-trailer-alignment-kit-95684.html

Hey man thanks! that looks awesome for $5. gonna order one now.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-21-2011, 09:44 PM
They make a hitch that you just have to get close to in order to hook up...I'll try to find it again.

For my dump trailer I just back up using my mirrors and can usually get centered on it pretty well and then just get out to see how much further back I need to go.

Most people just have a wheel on their jack stand so they can move the trailer a bit...doesn't work for me since I have no pavement anywhere in sight on my property.

P.S. - http://www.williamsinnovations.com/mkt-commercial.html

Agree, put a wheel on the jack stand so you can navi a bit, then drop er.

jsslawncare
11-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Frist- Back your truck into a tree so it doesn't matter if you hit it with the trailer.
Second- Well just see #1.

TNGrassCutter
11-21-2011, 10:26 PM
I guess I have done it enough I can usually back within a couple inches of mine. Close enough I can just yank it over enough to get it on. And my trailer has no wheel, just a flat plate on the jack. Trailer is a 16 ft tandem loaded with 2 mowers.
Posted via Mobile Device

johnyredd99
11-21-2011, 10:32 PM
you dont need to hook up to ball.....thats just somthing inexperienced newbies do.

why do you think they put chains on the trailers. all the Pros do is back up close enough to hook chains up and go.
you only hook up to the ball when your a non-driver.
If you drive like an office worker you should of stayed there

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
11-21-2011, 10:32 PM
you will eventually get more and more used to it. i used to have a 98 chevy pickup and would bump the hitch lightly on the trailer and pull foward a little...sometimes i had to muscle it one way or the other. a couple months ago i bought a brand new 2011 silverado with back up sensors which makes the 'bump' game no more...i love those sensors lol

corey4671
11-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Good gosh folks. This ain't rocket science. Why do you need to spend $150 on a camera? :hammerhead::dizzy:

j-ville native
11-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Good gosh folks. This ain't rocket science. Why do you need to spend $150 on a camera? :hammerhead::dizzy:

i looked at a camera that was like $20 but decided to spend $5 for the magnet flag instead. where'd you get $150? :hammerhead::dizzy:

DaveWB
http://www.harborfreight.com/back-up-hitch-guide-66584.html

RTR Landscaping
Trial and error. Soon you'll get close every time.

j-ville native
11-21-2011, 10:49 PM
you dont need to hook up to ball.....thats just somthing inexperienced newbies do.

why do you think they put chains on the trailers. all the Pros do is back up close enough to hook chains up and go.
you only hook up to the ball when your a non-driver.
If you drive like an office worker you should of stayed there

:nono::nono::nono:

mowerbrad
11-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Get yourself a bunch of steroids and some big a** weights. In no time at all you will be able to pick up the front of your trailer like its nothing.

Ridin' Green
11-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Get yourself a bunch of steroids and some big a** weights. In no time at all you will be able to pick up the front of your trailer like its nothing.

.....or drag the rear of the truck around to where the trailer hitch is.:weightlifter:

mbigred
11-21-2011, 11:37 PM
I HAVE A #1 ON MY TRUCK IT WORKS I CAN SEE THE TOP OF THE BALL !!! IF YOU TAKE 2- 2X4 AND MAKE A ( L ) ON THE SIDE OF YOUR L/REAR TIRE & PUT IN BACK OF TIRE WHEN YOU DROP YOUR TRL THEN WHEN YOU RE HOOK BACK UP YOU JUST BACK THE TRUCK TIRE SIDE WALL & BACKUP TO THE 2ND 2X4 WILL STOP YOU OVER THE BALL.:clapping:

SDLandscapes VT
11-21-2011, 11:55 PM
pintle hitch and pay attention to reference points, cameras and flags are for weekend warriors......

rob7233
11-22-2011, 12:04 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/back-up-hitch-guide-66584.html

I've seen this before and I can see it being useful for smaller/lighter trailers. However, not for a 5k loaded trailer with a drop leg trailer jack with a skid plate. It won't be moving/sliding into place over the ball. :nono:

Ridin' Green
11-22-2011, 12:18 AM
I've seen this before and I can see it being useful for smaller/lighter trailers. However, not for a 5k loaded trailer with a drop leg trailer jack with a skid plate. It won't be moving/sliding into place over the ball. :nono:

Actually, it will. My brother-in-law had one on his 20' tandem, and he used it to haul vehicles and heavy aircraft engines/parts etc. He bought it just to make hooking up and going easier when he had to drop off the trailer somewhere when it was loaded. It always moved the hitch close enough over the tongue that all he had to do was crank down the jack. His jack had the flat skid plate on the bottom of it too. It slid around on grass or pavement pretty well.

j-ville native
11-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Actually, it will. My brother-in-law had one on his 20' tandem, and he used it to haul vehicles and heavy aircraft engines/parts etc. He bought it just to make hooking up and going easier when he had to drop off the trailer somewhere when it was loaded. It always moved the hitch close enough over the tongue that all he had to do was crank down the jack. His jack had the flat skid plate on the bottom of it too. It slid around on grass or pavement pretty well.

what's funny is if you click on that link and then look and the 3rd picture on that page. Do you think that device is really necessary for that type of trailer? lol

Ridin' Green
11-22-2011, 12:36 AM
what's funny is if you click on that link and then look and the 3rd picture on that page. Do you think that device is really necessary for that type of trailer? lol

That is funny. I didn't look close enough before. Isn't that one of those motorcycle trailers? It almost looks like a rolling piece of luggage. LOL

Ridin' Green
11-22-2011, 12:39 AM
BTW, a lot (if not all) of the steel products that are sold at HF are cheap chinese steels, and are kinda soft/not properly heat treated, so I'd look for one of those guides at a trailer shop instead. Several of trailer dealers around me sell them, and they are made of some stout looking steel (though it probably is still chinese, at least it is heavier duty stuff).

johnyredd99
11-22-2011, 03:17 AM

come on now ol' timer catch up. dont you know mirrors are a thing of the past. cars these days we dont need em. any more pops we dont even know how to park the car let alone back up. Dont you know what those fancy cheap plastic bottons are for on the dash. 'Parking assist' 'rearview camera'

about time you catch up w/ the jones' my grand kids will just have to push a fancy botton and the car will back itself. obviously someone in the business who askes such a question should recieve such replies.

just put the mower back in the trunk of your car and leave the trailer at home. soon the economy will change and you will get his 'real' job back. until then Ill stay off the sidewalks. Only pulling 5k pounds behind a 7k pound truck. lets brainstorm how to hook the trailer up next we will figure out how to stop it.

ecurbthims
11-22-2011, 10:37 AM
If you have a little sister ,ask her to hook it up for you .

Oakleaf landscape
11-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Get a camera. Makes life easy.

metro36
11-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Once you pull the trailer long enough, you know what it should look like in your mirrors. I just pull back until it looks close, get out and check to see how much more I need to go back, then just pull back at much as I need. It takes a bit of practice but once you get used to it, you will be able to get it on the first or second try. I do it a couple times a week with my dump trailer or my buddies equipment trailer.

I guess I am cheap cause I would rather get out of the truck once than spend money on a camera.

Ridin' Green
11-22-2011, 12:14 PM
I guess I am cheap cause I would rather get out of the truck once than spend money on a camera.

Same here.:laugh:

douglee25
11-22-2011, 02:04 PM
If you can't just back up and get the trailer reasonably lined up there are a couple solutions....

1. Have a helper to guide you
2. Purchase a couple of fiberglass markers and attach one end to the truck hitch and one end to the trailer. As you back up just line up the two markers and that should get you dead nuts on. I believe they even sell a kit which does the same thing if you don't feel like cobbling something together.

Here this will work. $20 bones.

http://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Alignment-Magnet-Hitch-Camper/dp/B001F4MQYI

Doug

dizyd444
12-13-2011, 05:24 PM
had this problem for years got same set up best thing i did was put a back-up camera in from advanced auto 80 bucks

Oakleaf landscape
12-13-2011, 06:59 PM
I bet you in the 3 years I have had my camera, I have saved the $200-$300 in gas getting it lined up the first time. When you are hooking up to multiple trailers a week then the camera becomes a necessity. It's not being cheap, it's being stupid... Work smarter, not harder...

vanncann
12-13-2011, 08:28 PM
I don't unhook that often, but I have had a backup cam. on the last 2 trucks and will never own a truck without one in the future...

yardguy28
12-13-2011, 08:50 PM
I bet you in the 3 years I have had my camera, I have saved the $200-$300 in gas getting it lined up the first time. When you are hooking up to multiple trailers a week then the camera becomes a necessity. It's not being cheap, it's being stupid... Work smarter, not harder...

what the hell are you driving that you would waste the much gas just getting out and checking?

in the spring and fall i unhook my trailer daily to unload the grass and leaves from my pick up bed.

all i do is back up until i think i'm close and get out and check. then i make adjustments until i'm there. sometimes i get in and out 2 or 3 times, others i get it on the first try. but it doesn't waste THAT much gas.

i did get a backup camera a couple years ago for xmas. this thread reminded of that. never installed it. i actually got it for the rear of my trailer so i could see what or who is behind me when i go to back up with the trailer on.

still don't think i need the camera to hook up my trailer but i think i'll be trying to get that thing hooked up for the trailer for next season.

jfenton
12-13-2011, 09:20 PM
My Tacoma has a rear view camera built in. I also have a wheel jack. Last year a new employee marveled at how I could back up right over the receiver til I showed him my camera. Great for not running over other things too, including children and pets. All vehicles should have them, great for parking too.

yardguy28
12-13-2011, 10:54 PM
if you can't park or backup a vehicle without a trailer hooked to it using your rear view mirror, side mirrors and rear window you have no business behind the wheel IMO.....

yes a camera is nice, and would be extremely helpful when backing up to a trailer but for vehicles where you actually see whats behind you, you should be able to park and backup using your own 2 eyes........

jfenton
12-13-2011, 11:51 PM
You should, but accidents can and do happen. Anything that can help prevent them is beneficial

yardguy28
12-14-2011, 09:35 AM
that is true but you know what would happen. if every vehicle had a rear camera, everyone would start using just the camera, never looking behind them or in there mirrors. and thats not good either, to rely only on the camera.

GreenI.A.
12-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Like most the other guys say just use your mirrors and you should be able to hook up fine. If you understand how to back up a trailer then you should have no problem backing up without it.

As far as camaras go, I have one on each truck. Yes they can help when hooking up to the trailer but I still use the mirror or look over my shoulder out the rear window depending on what truck I am in. The reason I have the camaras is that insurance gives me a discount for safer backing

jfenton
12-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Although I have a camera, I still use mirrors more than the camera. After 35 years in the business, I had to learn to use them before cameras were available. There are many areas not visible to the camera, and depending solely on it would be dangerous

j-ville native
12-14-2011, 11:44 PM
lol i'm surprised that this thread I made last month has resurfaced. Here's an update for ya.... I ordered this: http://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/merchandising/alert-overstock-sale/magnetic-trailer-alignment-kit-95684.html. Unfortunately I can't even use it because my tailgate is too tall to see the marker that you put on the truck hitch ball. Even when fully extended, the marker on the truck hitch ball is too short. I may, when I have the time, change out the pole to make it more telescoping so that I'd be able to see it over the tailgate. Meanwhile, I have gotten better at backing up and aligning the truck and trailer so there hasn't been much of an issue besides the occasional frustration from repeatingly having to get out of the truck to check where I'm at

Darryl G
12-15-2011, 01:25 AM
You'd think they would have designed it so you could see it over a tail gate...I mean, if you don't have a tailgate on, why the hell would you need it?

j-ville native
12-15-2011, 09:36 AM
if you can't park or backup a vehicle without a trailer hooked to it using your rear view mirror, side mirrors and rear window you have no business behind the wheel IMO.....

that's a very dumb statement. tell me which one of your mirrors lets you see your truck's hitch ball

Darryl G
12-15-2011, 10:36 AM
that's a very dumb statement. tell me which one of your mirrors lets you see your truck's hitch ball

In defense of Yardman, I believe he was talking about parking/backing up in general, not hitching up to a trailer. He even said it would be usefull when backing up to a trailer.

You could actually hitch up a mirror system that lets you see your hitch...delivery vehicles often have a mirror setup that lets them see directly behind the truck/van....it's called a cross-view mirror....they mount a mirror on the driver side top rear corner and you look in your side mirror. It's a wide view convex mirror so it will distort things.

yardguy28
12-15-2011, 11:36 AM

yes a camera is nice, and would be extremely helpful when backing up to a trailer but for vehicles where you actually see whats behind you, you should be able to park and backup using your own 2 eyes........

i quoted myself above and highlighted the statement in read.......

In defense of Yardman, I believe he was talking about parking/backing up in general, not hitching up to a trailer. He even said it would be usefull when backing up to a trailer.

You could actually hitch up a mirror system that lets you see your hitch...delivery vehicles often have a mirror setup that lets them see directly behind the truck/van....it's called a cross-view mirror....they mount a mirror on the driver side top rear corner and you look in your side mirror. It's a wide view convex mirror so it will distort things.

darryl is right. i was and said backing up in general. without a trailer hooked to your truck. like backing out of your driveway or into a parking spot.

my original post was said because someone said something about a camera being very useful when backing up without a trailer to see children or obsticals behind you. well if you don't have a trailer hooked up to your vehicle you can see whats behind you if you look in your rear view mirror, side mirrors or just turn your head around and look out the back window.

a camera would be very useful in trying to hook a truck to a trailer because of course you can't see the hitch or the tongue of the trailer unless you don't have a tail gate.

but if you NEED a camera just for every day driving without a trailer then it is my opinion you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

j-ville native
12-15-2011, 06:40 PM
my bad... i didn't read carefully enough. that's definitely true though

93Chevy
12-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Learn how to use your mirrors and back up properly would be my best advice. I do it everyday with no problems. You have to learn how to use reference points in your mirrors and remember them.

Exactly...I always try to look to see what the "good" drivers do and copy them as close as possible.

I partially agree...but you should never need to look at a rear view mirror or out the rear window...that's for car drivers. Truck drivers use side mirrors only. No rear windows or rear view mirrors on big sleeper trucks or tri-axles. It's not that hard to learn how to judge a vehicle using only side view mirrors, just takes practice.

Your side-view mirrors, if you know how to use them.

j-ville native
12-15-2011, 07:51 PM

Nope, my truck is in the way

Darryl G
12-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Nope, my truck is in the way

LMAO. If you bring your truck straight back to your trailer and center the trailer so there's an even amount showing in each mirror, all it leaves to guess is how far back you have to go. If you have to come in at an angle it's much harder.

j-ville native
12-15-2011, 08:06 PM
LOL yeah I know that was a bit of a smart@ss thing to say. I do know how to use my mirrors and centering is the easy part. The hard part is knowing how far back to go but I have a fix for this. I'm going to use chalk and mark a spot on the ground right behind the driver's side front tire. I'll back up with the driver door open so that I could see the chalk mark. As soon as I get to where the front driver's side tire touches the chalk mark, I'll know when to stop. This will work because I'll also have my trailer in the same exact spot everyday when I'm getting ready to hook it up.

Darryl G
12-15-2011, 08:18 PM
You can also just open your window and do what they do in New York....drive by sound.:laugh:

93Chevy
12-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Your chalk system sounds good. Soon enough you won't even need to look at it.

yardguy28
12-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Exactly...I always try to look to see what the "good" drivers do and copy them as close as possible.

I partially agree...but you should never need to look at a rear view mirror or out the rear window...that's for car drivers. Truck drivers use side mirrors only. No rear windows or rear view mirrors on big sleeper trucks or tri-axles. It's not that hard to learn how to judge a vehicle using only side view mirrors, just takes practice.

any time i'm driving my truck with out my trailer, i ALWAYS use the rear view mirror and my rear window when backing up. if it's there i use it, no reason not to.

what a dumb thing to say, i'm not an 18 wheeler driver. just driving a half ton pick up truck around and when working pulling a 7' x 14' enclosed trailer.

93Chevy
12-16-2011, 09:17 PM
any time i'm driving my truck with out my trailer, i ALWAYS use the rear view mirror and my rear window when backing up. if it's there i use it, no reason not to.

what a dumb thing to say, i'm not an 18 wheeler driver. just driving a half ton pick up truck around and when working pulling a 7' x 14' enclosed trailer.

My point was that if some people can back up 50' and longer enclosed trailer with only side-view mirrors, I see no reason whatsoever to use any other mirrors. It's not difficult, it just takes practice.

Maybe it's different for me because a truck driver taught me how to back up using my mirrors before I was allowed to drive forward. I'm not saying I'm better...just pointing out that side-view mirrors are all that's necessary.

Darryl G
12-16-2011, 09:41 PM
I just wanted to toss out a pointer to people who have a hard time backing a trailer, even when they can see it, lol. Beginners often have a hard time figuring out which way to turn the wheel. I just went through this with my uncle who recently got a dump cart for his tractor in fact and was having a hard time backing into his dump location. When backing a trailer, if you put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, all you have to do is move your hand whichever way you want the trailer to go.

yardguy28
12-16-2011, 11:35 PM
My point was that if some people can back up 50' and longer enclosed trailer with only side-view mirrors, I see no reason whatsoever to use any other mirrors. It's not difficult, it just takes practice.

Maybe it's different for me because a truck driver taught me how to back up using my mirrors before I was allowed to drive forward. I'm not saying I'm better...just pointing out that side-view mirrors are all that's necessary.

well my point was when i made the comment using your side mirror, rear mirror AND looking out the rear window, i've been talking about backing up a vehicle with NO trailer. that was my point in multipul posts and you seem to think i'm referring to with a trailer.

when i'm backing my truck with my trailer all i use is my side mirrors because thats all that helps me.

but when the trailer isn't there i use the rear mirror and rear window as well.

93Chevy
12-17-2011, 12:09 AM
well my point was when i made the comment using your side mirror, rear mirror AND looking out the rear window, i've been talking about backing up a vehicle with NO trailer. that was my point in multipul posts and you seem to think i'm referring to with a trailer.

when i'm backing my truck with my trailer all i use is my side mirrors because thats all that helps me.

I don't understand why you don't think I know what I'm talking about.

Your original statement:

My response

What I said here is building on your original statement. I was expressing some agreement, yet also some disagreement. I don't believe anything I said here matters whether you said "with" or "without" a trailer. My response shouldn't have come across that I didn't understand you were specifically referring to "without" because what I said goes for both situations.

Then your response:
any time i'm driving my truck withoutmy trailer, i ALWAYS use the rear view mirror and my rear window when backing up. if it's there i use it, no reason not to.

My response:

Yet again, I was merely expressing my partial disagreement. Sorry if I came across as rude?? Wasn't trying to come across that way. But yet again, I was building the conversation, not specifically referring to your declaration of "without." My 50' trailer statement was only an example because it's difficult to back up that large of a trailer, especially around a blind bend, using only side mirrors until you become comfortable with it.

And yet again:

Believe you me, I understood you were referring to "without" a trailer. I was just expressing my crass opinion that side view mirrors should be used exclusively, whether with a trailer or without.

yardguy28
12-17-2011, 10:17 AM
I don't understand why you don't think I know what I'm talking about.

Your original statement:

My response

What I said here is building on your original statement. I was expressing some agreement, yet also some disagreement. I don't believe anything I said here matters whether you said "with" or "without" a trailer. My response shouldn't have come across that I didn't understand you were specifically referring to "without" because what I said goes for both situations.

Then your response:

My response:

Yet again, I was merely expressing my partial disagreement. Sorry if I came across as rude?? Wasn't trying to come across that way. But yet again, I was building the conversation, not specifically referring to your declaration of "without." My 50' trailer statement was only an example because it's difficult to back up that large of a trailer, especially around a blind bend, using only side mirrors until you become comfortable with it.

And yet again:

Believe you me, I understood you were referring to "without" a trailer. I was just expressing my crass opinion that side view mirrors should be used exclusively, whether with a trailer or without.

never thought you were being rude chevy and if i came across as responding rude i didn't mean too. just didn't think you got my point and i must have missed yours a little.

now that i get your making the statement with our without trailers i guess all i can say is that i disagree.

a rear view mirror is there for a reason as is a rear windshield and should be used when possible. obvisously if you have a trailer or something in the bed of the truck where you can't see out of the rear mirror or window you don't need to use them.

but if i'm not pulling my trailer and my truck bed is empty you can bet i'm looking out that rear window and or rear view mirror when backing up.

just my way of doing it. my side mirrors are generally angled so i can see lanes of traffic to the left and right of me so if i need or want to switch lanes i know if there are vehicles next to me or coming up next to me. not whats behind me. for whats behind me i rely on my rear view mirror and rear window.

Darryl G
12-17-2011, 02:28 PM
I often use my mirrors, including my rear view mirror, when backing my truck out of parking spots and such when I'm not hitched up instead of looking in the rear window. I feel I can get a better view of whats around me by doing that than physically looking behind me.

Does anyone else feel like we're beating a dead horse here and repeating ourselves over and over and over and being redundant? Redundant.

yardguy28
12-17-2011, 07:06 PM
I often use my mirrors, including my rear view mirror, when backing my truck out of parking spots and such when I'm not hitched up instead of looking in the rear window. I feel I can get a better view of whats around me by doing that than physically looking behind me.

Does anyone else feel like we're beating a dead horse here and repeating ourselves over and over and over and being redundant? Redundant.

yeah i do....

there really can't be much to say on backing up a truck to a trailer.

either use your mirrors and get used to it, use a camera or if your trailer is light enough just pull it up to it and throw it on there.

i have an open 5' x 10' i do that will all the time. when empty of course.

Darryl G
12-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I have an over 6.5 x 12 and move it about 50 feet from where I unhitch to where I store it by hand, and that's on grass. It's balanced really nicely though and only weighs about 700 pounds if I recall. I end up kicking my dump trailer tongue on sometimes to move it over a little and get the ball to center and get it to latch.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-18-2011, 03:17 AM
5. Actually learn how to drive your truck.

Always try to back straight up when hooking to your trailer and it will be easier. When your approach is done at an angle it will be more difficult. Gooseneck with a square tube bulldog hitch is the hardest trailer to hookup unless you have a regular cab truck.

bobcat_ron
12-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Wowowowowowow if you have to post a thread on how to hook up a trailer to a truck and it turns into a flame war, you shouldn't even be towing a trailer in the first place.
Grow up.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
12-18-2011, 04:14 PM
It's fun to give a rookie a little grief but we all have to start some where.

STIHL GUY
12-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Back straight up to the trailer and using your mirrors keep the trailer sticking out the same on both sides. Back up slowly until the trailer hits your hitch and then pull forward just a little. That's what I do anyway.

thats exactly what i do...it took a little practice at first but works well everytime now.

flatlander42
12-18-2011, 08:40 PM
I laugh every time when I see a banged up tailgate from the trailer wacking it! hahahaha

All sorts of dings and crap from where they were moving the trailer by hand and not being able to stop it in time! hhaahaa Or if they unhook it and the tounge shoots up and hits the tailgate....still funny!

cuttin-to-the-Max
12-18-2011, 09:54 PM
:dizzy: wow i didnt think this would make it up to 8 Pages!

justanotherlawnguy
12-23-2011, 08:51 PM
After backing up to it 4000 times you won't need any cameras or any of that other crap. It becomes second nature. I cannot move the tongue of my dump or enclosed, so I have to backup perfect or else.
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
12-23-2011, 09:08 PM
:dizzy: wow i didnt think this would make it up to 8 Pages!

It's not 8 pages if you have your options set to 20 posts per page.

yardguy28
12-23-2011, 10:28 PM
never thought about changing my options so it's not so many pages.

i can move the tongue just a little on my enclosed. not much though. so i don't worry about being dead on perfect. if i'm a little off i can pull it just enough to get it on there. it's bending the handle of my trailer stand though but oh well, it's just a handle. as long as it cranks the stand up and down.

Darryl G
12-23-2011, 10:33 PM
never thought about changing my options so it's not so many pages.

i can move the tongue just a little on my enclosed. not much though. so i don't worry about being dead on perfect. if i'm a little off i can pull it just enough to get it on there. it's bending the handle of my trailer stand though but oh well, it's just a handle. as long as it cranks the stand up and down.

Is that what that thing is for...all this time I been using a block of wood!

93Chevy
12-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Is that what that thing is for...all this time I been using a block of wood!

ROFL....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh...and in your signature quote...I think you misquoted Jason. You forgot to add 5 more lol randomly placed in the middle of the sentence.

TNGrassCutter
12-23-2011, 11:50 PM
ROFL....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh...and in your signature quote...I think you misquoted Jason. You forgot to add 5 more lol randomly placed in the middle of the sentence.

I saw that in another thread and thought about putting it in my signature too but Darryl beat me to it.

Darryl G
12-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Couldn't resist. Priceless!

TNGrassCutter
12-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Jason for president!
Posted via Mobile Device

meador56
12-28-2011, 11:36 PM
We've got 9 trailers and 5 trucks. If I know I'm rehooking same truck I leave hitch bout 1/4" low then I can feel it drag. You can stop perfect any time.

S-205
12-31-2011, 02:01 PM
My bumper is mangled from hitting a post when plowing, so I back up until the trailer hits the receiver and if it goes too far and the lock for the trailer hits the bumper it doesn't matter too much. It gets easier and easier every season though.